Plateau ideas?

Options
hey guys ive been using mfp for about 11 months now but am very very new to the forums (todays my 1st time going on them) anyways, im 5'7 and weight in at 88.8kgs (195.3 pounds) and have been doing the atkins diet for 11 months now with great success so far (lost 29.2 kgs (64.2 pounds) all up but 27kgs (60 pounds) since using my fitnes pal, and ive hit a plateau that has lasted so far almost 4 months and am wondering if anybody has any good plateau ideas.
ive tried changing up my diet and my macros with not much luck and tried eating different foods and also upped my calories for a bit incase my calories were too low also with no luck :/

does anybody have any nice plateau breakers they would like to share with me?

also feel free to add me lol im all alone on here still since todays my 1st time on these forums :P

Replies

• axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I plateaued on low carb. I had lost about 97lbs without counting calories. Then it all stopped, I got discouraged and practically gave up. Then gained back 40lbs, found MFP started keeping track of calories and have lost 30lbs so far. My calorie intake was too high previously. I was shocked when I started keeping track of it.
  • dazza_098
    dazza_098 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    thats what im worried about :S i dont wanna drop off it and try a completely new diet to break this plateau and then i put it all back on because ive heard about how it easily comes back :S thinking of signing up to a gym and switching to CKD diet but then im still nervous i wont do it right and gain :/
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    Change...............Change somthing. Do a different type of cardio. Leave atkins and do something different. (I personally don't agree with "diets". Just long term lifestyle changes, but hey, it obviosly worked for you) Just switch things up somehow. Do you do strength training? Could you decrease your body fat percentage? Find a way that you can raise your intensity somehow. Good luck and keep on moving forward.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I still follow a low carb diet(doctor recommended). I just keep within a specific calorie limit. I do workout too but I was doing that before when I stalled out.
  • dazza_098
    Options
    i do alot of walking, power walking (both carrying a 5 - 10kg load which is a bag with my bass guitar, pedal, other equipment with my arm switching over arm to arm pretty much 3 hours a day) but couldnt fit in time for the gym due to studying full time in music but i do push ups sit ups etc aswell and have a bench with these rope things that i use now too.
    how do you think id go zig zagging my calories each day as in i eat 1900 cals a day now so 1700 one day then 2100 the next then 1900 then 1700 then 2100 and so on but exercise on the higher days and rest on the really low days
  • LizDHarris
    LizDHarris Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've not had the prolonged plateau (except when I got to the weight I wanted to be) but found when I stalled for a few weeks the best was to have 6-7 days on calorie llimit, then 1 day way over (sometimes almost up to double) this worked for me. Used it a few times - especially when I was nearing my goal.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    i do alot of walking, power walking (both carrying a 5 - 10kg load which is a bag with my bass guitar, pedal, other equipment with my arm switching over arm to arm pretty much 3 hours a day) but couldnt fit in time for the gym due to studying full time in music but i do push ups sit ups etc aswell and have a bench with these rope things that i use now too.
    how do you think id go zig zagging my calories each day as in i eat 1900 cals a day now so 1700 one day then 2100 the next then 1900 then 1700 then 2100 and so on but exercise on the higher days and rest on the really low days

This could help. Increasing your muscle mass would be best but if you do this calotie thing make sure you are still under calorie goal for the week.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Have you run through all the nutrients and checked you are getting a balance of vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids, not just tracking the macros? Calcium in dairy, long chain omega-3s in oily fish and antioxidants in certain berries and citrus fruits have been linked to lower bodyfat for example. Are you eating a really wide variety of different foods and vegetables/ fruits in the full rainbow (red, green, yellow/ orange, blue/ purple) every day? A lot of people get stuck in a rut with the same small number of trusted foods over and over. If you are not eating grains or pulses are you eating loads of nuts, seeds and canned oily fish with bones in for the mineral content?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    A plateau is simply your body adjusting and enjoying where it's at. You need to move more and eat less. It's really simple. People get all technical about plateaus. I think it's just your body has reached homeostasis. You have to lower cals or increase exercise or both. It's really that simple.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    For me what worked was starting (and completing) a new exercise program. Look up 30 day shred on YouTube and do each level for ten days. It is free and an awesome workout you can do from home with some weights and a gym mat.. For me the lbs melted off with it and it only takes 20-25mins a day :)
  • dtennisman2006
    dtennisman2006 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hey guys ive been using mfp for about 11 months now but am very very new to the forums (todays my 1st time going on them) anyways, im 5'7 and weight in at 88.8kgs (195.3 pounds) and have been doing the atkins diet for 11 months now with great success so far (lost 29.2 kgs (64.2 pounds) all up but 27kgs (60 pounds) since using my fitnes pal, and ive hit a plateau that has lasted so far almost 4 months and am wondering if anybody has any good plateau ideas.
    ive tried changing up my diet and my macros with not much luck and tried eating different foods and also upped my calories for a bit incase my calories were too low also with no luck :/

does anybody have any nice plateau breakers they would like to share with me?

also feel free to add me lol im all alone on here still since todays my 1st time on these forums :P
    I agree you need to try something different and that is to get off a diet and start thinking long term. You are so close to your goal that you need to start making good eating habits that will last you a lifetime. This is when you need to stop thinking I'm so close to the short term goal and start thinking how you are going to blow past it (not with losing more weight but maintaining it at ideal). I have a wonderful nutritionist who said to balance every meal out. The more colorful the better. this means fist sized portion of protein and carbs, fruits and as much veggie as you want. Stir fries are great since it has ton of veggie and some lean protein like chicken. Its quick and easy to make on a hectic schedule.
    Also cut out diet sodas and sodas alike. One has aspartame which makes you hungrier and its artificial (any artificial ingredient isn't good for you) and the others have tons of sugar which spike your blood sugar and put your body into fat storing mode.

If you take anything away its balance balance and more balance with your meals.

Wish you the best of luck with reaching your goal.
    ps.I added you. Need more guy friends up in here.
  • dazza_098
    Options
    thanks for all the ideas everyone its really appreciated :) with the eat less calories thing i think i was eating way too little calories in the first place and read that people had success upping them but still staying below their maintenance but im thinking of switching (slowly) from this low carb approach which is 65% fat 30% protein and 5% carbs and maybe introduce healthy carbs back into my diet and up my carbs each week till my body sais how much i can handle before i gain :) i eat now 20 - 30g carbs a day so i might add in say 5g a week and see how my body reacts to it :) heard that jumping to a healthy diet from low carb can spark insulin release and blood sugar and cause you to gain it all back easily
  • neverstray
    Options
    thanks for all the ideas everyone its really appreciated :) with the eat less calories thing i think i was eating way too little calories in the first place and read that people had success upping them but still staying below their maintenance but im thinking of switching (slowly) from this low carb approach which is 65% fat 30% protein and 5% carbs and maybe introduce healthy carbs back into my diet and up my carbs each week till my body sais how much i can handle before i gain :) i eat now 20 - 30g carbs a day so i might add in say 5g a week and see how my body reacts to it :) heard that jumping to a healthy diet from low carb can spark insulin release and blood sugar and cause you to gain it all back easily

The ratios don't matter. Losing weight is about eating less calories than you burn in a day. It's very simple math.

If you go to a website like www.fitnessfrog.com, or there are others, and calculate your TDEE, you will find out what you should eat to maintain your weight. If you want to lose, take away 15% to 20% of that. You can go up to 25% if you want, but I think that's silly. I just use 15%. Then, just eat at that rate for a steady, healthy weight loss. Don't add back exercise or anything.

Wait for about a month, if no progress, take off another 100 calories and see if that helps, and keep going until it works. It will when you find that point where you are burning more in a day than you are eating. There's no way it wont work. It's just a slow process finding that point.
  • dazza_098
    Options
    the macros are suppose to be like that for a keto diet :) i wanna switch to a more natural diet with natural carbs and healthy fats and proteins but ive read everywhere about how people have done that and its spiked their insulin and blood sugars and they have gained it all back and i dont want that coz im 64 pounds down and its taken a year to get here
  • dazza_098
    Options
    and with the calorie amount i think i was too low in the 1st place so i tried upping them because i was way below my bmr which apparently stalls weight loss also
  • neverstray
    Options
    This is why gimmicks and fads are a bad idea. You don't learn anything.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    how many calories do you eat? can you open up your diary? do you do any type of barbell strength training?

check out intermittent fasting. basically you have a smaller window of eating during the day. you have dinner at say 7pm, and the next morning you skip breakfast and you don't eat until 16 hours later.
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Change up your cardio - do a longer stint or more/less inensity for a couple weeks. Eat more calories one day and less the next for a couple of weeks - need to change things up temporarily. Good Luck!