How can I make cardio on the treadmill more interesting?

rskidmore
rskidmore Posts: 212
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I have exercise induced asthma so in order to get any results at all I have to put in longer cardio sessions because I can't jog for long periods of time as my lungs start to max out. Does anyone have any ideas on how I could make cardio on the treadmill more interesting so that I will want to go more? I currently do intervals, 3 minute speed walk, 3 minute jog.

Replies

• Julie837
    Julie837 Posts: 84
    Hi, since TV, Ipod and audio books are the most obvious, how about getting on the phone and chatting. If you're walking, you should be able to hold a conversation without losing your breath. J
  • jarelary4
    jarelary4 Posts: 141 Member
    I was wondering the same thing. I also have asthma and I have to do 45 minutes on the treadmill walking. I can jog for like 1 minute and thats it. I do take headphones to the gym with me but they only have news on tv, no music.
  • McKeown
    McKeown Posts: 8
    I like to pic songs on my mp3 player and then jog/run during the refrain and then slow down during the verses. Since they're always changing my speed is always changing. I also put it on random so I don't know what's coming.
  • I like to stand behind a really hot guy and just perv out for 30-60 minutes. It really works. Plus it is REALLY hard to suck in your stomach for the whole time and look cute when your about to go into cardiac arrest, but I am here to report: it can be done! :)
  • AJKrunner
    AJKrunner Posts: 10
    off topic, but which meds are you on? There are some meds that can be quite effective for exercise induced asthma.
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    I like to stand behind a really hot guy and just perv out for 30-60 minutes. It really works. Plus it is REALLY hard to suck in your stomach for the whole time and look cute when your about to go into cardiac arrest, but I am here to report: it can be done! :)

:laugh: And here i was thinking it was just me that did this lol
  • tutujoli
    tutujoli Posts: 104 Member
    I like to stand behind a really hot guy and just perv out for 30-60 minutes. It really works. Plus it is REALLY hard to suck in your stomach for the whole time and look cute when your about to go into cardiac arrest, but I am here to report: it can be done! :)

OMG, I :heart: you! :laugh: that was awesome.....hehehehehe
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member

Hahaha I love this. I recently noticed a really cute guy :love: at the gym when I am there so I always try to get a treadmill by him. It also pushs me to work harder since I don't want him to think I am a total slacker. :bigsmile:
  • jdejre_k
    jdejre_k Posts: 54
    I also have exercise induced asthma and this is what I do....

I recently purchased a "SurfShelf" from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M04RBK/ref=oss_product). It is a shelf that you can attach on to almost any treadmill, so that you can look at a portable DVD player, laptop or book while exercising.

I like to use my laptop and watch a TV show (most of the major networks have full episodes online, or you can use hulu or netflix) or watch a movie. I watched Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution last night from the abc website and walked for 45 minutes. On Saturday mornings, I like to put in a movie and zone out on the treadmill. 5 miles go by without even noticing!

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with this product, just trying to help! :-)
  • deeann1459
    deeann1459 Posts: 116

I'm in the military and I have a thing for the jarhead type... I totally schedule my gym time to coincide with the combat control/pararescue guys.

Plus they are really great about answering any questions I have... and spotting...and checking my form for me...

I am a shameless hussy =)
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238

Sounds like a plan to me! Only one time I got a little to distracted and almost tripped on the treadmill... luckily I caught myself before I looked totally crazy. Also a good thing I was on the back row and he was in front of me. LOL
  • rskidmore
    None at the moment. My doctor said to just work up slowly. Once I start losing fat it'll help relieve the pressure on my lungs.
  • rskidmore
    off topic, but which meds are you on? There are some meds that can be quite effective for exercise induced asthma.

None at the moment. My doctor said to just work up slowly. Once I start losing fat it'll help relieve the pressure on my lungs.
  • rskidmore
    I also have exercise induced asthma and this is what I do....

I recently purchased a "SurfShelf" from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M04RBK/ref=oss_product). It is a shelf that you can attach on to almost any treadmill, so that you can look at a portable DVD player, laptop or book while exercising.

I like to use my laptop and watch a TV show (most of the major networks have full episodes online, or you can use hulu or netflix) or watch a movie. I watched Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution last night from the abc website and walked for 45 minutes. On Saturday mornings, I like to put in a movie and zone out on the treadmill. 5 miles go by without even noticing!

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with this product, just trying to help! :-)

This sounds fantastic! Do they sell it in any stores or just online? My computer is practically attached to my hip, so this product sounds great. :) And the movie idea is great! Totally zoning out for a bit would be fantastic. :) Thanks!
  • AJKrunner
    ok well this to me seems very strange. Do you have symptoms when you dont exercise or is your asthma only exercise induced? I really thought you would at least be on inhaled steroids? Also, feel free to add me as a friend and msg me if you want to continue this conversation.
  • rskidmore
    ok well this to me seems very strange. Do you have symptoms when you dont exercise or is your asthma only exercise induced? I really thought you would at least be on inhaled steroids? Also, feel free to add me as a friend and msg me if you want to continue this conversation.

My asthma is only exercise induced and it's controllable at a lighter weight...
  • AJKrunner
    Right well...if you have purely exercise induced asthma then you may want to look into some meds:

(1) long acting beta agonist-- Salmeterol (goes by the trade name of serevent)
    (2) mast cell stabilizers-- Cromolyn Sodium (goes by the trade name Intal)

mast cell stabalizers can be very effective in preventing exercise induced asthma attacks. I would recommend that you talk to your treating physician about these medicines.
  • Jax67- your not alone

Tutujoli- thanks:bigsmile:

Rostrum-I am a slacker too

Deann -can i come to your gym? Love Military guys if they are young and hot-for research purposed only, of course. Muhahahaha

Sraarroz good plan!
  • deeann1459
    deeann1459 Posts: 116
    Right well...if you have purely exercise induced asthma then you may want to look into some meds:

(1) long acting beta agonist-- Salmeterol (goes by the trade name of serevent)
    (2) mast cell stabilizers-- Cromolyn Sodium (goes by the trade name Intal)

mast cell stabalizers can be very effective in preventing exercise induced asthma attacks. I would recommend that you talk to your treating physician about these medicines.

Sure thing... it is on base, but that is why they invented a visitor's pass =)
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    In all the gyms I've been in they all have lifefitness treadmills. These treadmills have a jut sticking out big enough to hold a newspaper. I see a lot of people with Asthma or recovering from knee surgery with a newspaper on the treadmill reading away while they work out.

I like my music but I made sure my current MP3 player also had a radio so I'm not listening the same thing all the time.
This discussion has been closed.