Switching diets pleas help :)

Options
hi everyone i have been doing atkins diet for 11 months now and i want to switch to a normal healthy diet containing carbs from only good sources like grains vegetables fruits etc and eat meat from lean sources aswell as keep my fats down from what they are now but am worried because ive read stories about how people who leave their low carb way of living has caused them to gain all their weight and i dont want to gain it all back since in the past year ive lost 29.2kgs or 64 pounds so what i want to ask is does anybody have any back ground in how to switch even if its a slow switch and i gradually do it over time

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Curious, are you following the atkins diet as they describe it, or are you just winging an atkins type of low carb diet. Anyway gaining/losing is about calories, not diets, so if your not eating in excess of your TDEE you'll be fine.
  • dazza_098
    dazza_098 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    im doing a low carb diet similar to atkins but its high fat though to keep you in ketosis but im paranoid because ive read people switching from low carb to calorie counting and they gained after doing the switch and even though im doing both right now i dont wanna risk gaining it all back even if the food is all healthy carbs from natural sources
  • dtennisman2006
    dtennisman2006 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    im doing a low carb diet similar to atkins but its high fat though to keep you in ketosis but im paranoid because ive read people switching from low carb to calorie counting and they gained after doing the switch and even though im doing both right now i dont wanna risk gaining it all back even if the food is all healthy carbs from natural sources
    I don't think you should have trouble switching. You may do a gradual switch if it will help assuade your fears but as long as you eat the right kind of carbs and balance them with protein (almost 1:1 ratio), eat lots of veggies!!(not kidding on this, it works), and some fruit, you will be fine.
    Here are some examples of healthy carbs:
    Beans (black, pinto, etc)
    Sweet potato
    lentils (progresso has a good lentil soup,they even have fat free!)
    whole grains (limit these but you can still eat them)
    This is technically considered lo-carb diet because you are eating the complex carbs and not simple carbs (white bread, potato, tortilla, etc.) It may feel like a shock but if you balance your meal right you will not go hungry.
    Also adding protein rich, lo-carb snacks in between will help with hunger and keeping your meals small (I usually eat zone perfect protein bars sold at wal-mart; my favorite is fudge graham and cinammon roll!)
    You should get out of keto as soon as you can while keeping your meals healthy and balanced.
    Body for life is a great example of changing your lifestyle of eating versus a diet.
    Let me know how things work out for you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should have trouble switching. You may do a gradual switch if it will help assuade your fears but as long as you eat the right kind of carbs and balance them with protein (almost 1:1 ratio), eat lots of veggies!!(not kidding on this, it works), and some fruit, you will be fine.
    Here are some examples of healthy carbs:
    Beans (black, pinto, etc)
    Sweet potato
    lentils (progresso has a good lentil soup,they even have fat free!)
    whole grains (limit these but you can still eat them)
    This is technically considered lo-carb diet because you are eating the complex carbs and not simple carbs (white bread, potato, tortilla, etc.) It may feel like a shock but if you balance your meal right you will not go hungry.
    Also adding protein rich, lo-carb snacks in between will help with hunger and keeping your meals small (I usually eat zone perfect protein bars sold at wal-mart; my favorite is fudge graham and cinammon roll!)
    You should get out of keto as soon as you can while keeping your meals healthy and balanced.
    Body for life is a great example of changing your lifestyle of eating versus a diet.
    Let me know how things work out for you.
    white bread, potatoes and tortillas are complex carbs, so much for that technicality.
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I do low carb as well. For what it's worth, I would recommend is to add your carbs in slowly, one at a time, giving your body a week to get used to the addition, then try another and see how you do. I know a lot of people think calories in/calories out but I believe that it's more of what the calories are than just the number. I do my diet in spurts with maintaining for 6 weeks every so often, adding back good carbs slowly and have found that the slow additions work better for me. I also have found in my journey that my body absolutely loves carbs and would be delighted to live on them solely so I know now that I have a sensitivity to them. Good luck, take it slow, and you should be fine.