Help! My arms won't change!

Options
Hi there! I've been working at losing weight for a couple months now. I've been doing moderate to intense running on the treadmill, and just this month, I've started intense exercise with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (I'm halfway through Level 2). I've been losing inches everywhere BUT... you can guess... my arms. They BURN like all hell during the workout, but they are never sore after. They also don't seem to be getting stronger.

What do I do? :( I want to have strong, lean arms, but they are refusing it right now.

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It can be hard to increase muscle when on a calorie deficit.

Are you getting enough protein? The MFP standard guidelines are likely way too low if you're looking to increase muscle.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i'm sure by the end of the 30 days, they'll be more toned. if not, keep working on em, some muscles take more time to build than others
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. Your body will take the fat where it want and nothing can help that.

That being said, heavy lifting gave me great arms! 30DS is an endurance program not a lifting program. Just continue losing weight and eventually your arms will follow
  • Anna19911
    Options
    I've lost over 50 pounds and my arms still have a lot of flab on them.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. Your body will take the fat where it want and nothing can help that.

That being said, heavy lifting gave me great arms! 30DS is an endurance program not a lifting program. Just continue losing weight and eventually your arms will follow

This!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    start doing more push ups
  • Mollymoog
    Mollymoog Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Weight training helped me . You need weights to really tone the arms I think.
  • MMark2012
    MMark2012 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    start doing more push ups

This! Push-ups helps tone the arms and shoulders and back! Try to do as many "real" men push-ups(on the toes) before finishing each sets of "women"(on the knees) push-ups
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Lifting!
    Get over to the free weights, and do some upperbody work...
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    Get yourself an adjustable set of dumbbells. I promise you will get stronger and see results. You can get a set of 40lb adjustable dumbbells from walmart.com for $39.99 with free shipping. Only using your body weight as resistance will be a waste of time once you reach a certain point.
  • sarah_gwen
    sarah_gwen Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses! I'll try everything you guys told me. I really appreciate it :) Happy, healthy holidays to you all!