Replies

• mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Bumping your awesomeness!
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Bump, Joe, you ever try doing crooked pullups? Say using two different grips with each hand? One side wide, one side less wide, etc.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, Joe. I'm looking forward to working on them using your tips. I think I was doing something wrong - seems like I work my biceps more than my lats.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Bump, Joe, you ever try doing crooked pullups? Say using two different grips with each hand? One side wide, one side less wide, etc.

Nope never tried that.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I didn't know a chin up was different to a pull up! A chin up is with palms facing in, and a pull up is with palms facing out... is that right? Is that the only difference?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I didn't know a chin up was different to a pull up! A chin up is with palms facing in, and a pull up is with palms facing out... is that right? Is that the only difference?

Pullups have a pronated grip which is palms facing down.

Chinups have a supinated grip which is palms facing you.

Both are good exercises. Pullups have more lat engagement, whereas Chinups have more bicep engagement.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    What could be nicer than a Saturday morning boink! .....er bump!! ;P
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Fabulous explanation, Joe.

Saving this for later reference (ya know, for when I actually start attempting pull-ups. It'll happen.....one day).

Why wait? start today u could use them =) everybody needs them!
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    What's your take on using inverted rows to prepare for achieving a chin-up down the road for those just starting out? Would it help?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Both are good exercises. Pullups have more lat engagement, whereas Chinups have more bicep engagement.

Thanks man. I learnt something! Plus, I got my pull up bar out and did 5x5 pull-ups with nearly full range of motion.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I second the resistance bands. Been using them recently and my pull-up numbers have increased nicely. Now I go to failure without the bands, then use the bands to finish off the set. Yesterday I did my first full set of wide grip pull-ups (8 reps) without the bands (didn't need them until 7th rep of 2nd set). Eventually I will ween myself off them entirely, then start adding plates.

Not long ago, I couldn't do a single wide grip pull-up.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about pull downs as a substitute when building strength towards doing pullups?
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

What about the v-bar pull up where your palms are facing each other? Is there any advantage to doing "Rocky pull ups"? (If I understand them correctly you alternate putting your head in front of, and behind the bar.)
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    BUMP!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What's your take on using inverted rows to prepare for achieving a chin-up down the road for those just starting out? Would it help?

Inverted rows are a great exercise and may help some, but they aren't going to lead to doing a pull up if that's all you do. But I think they would be a great compliment to doing assisted pull ups for overall back work.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    bump! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Keeping this for later when I can get back to doing these!
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Well done
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Saving for future reference - pull ups are a goal for me this year!!! :D