Food that can help you release water?

Options
So, I ate a very high in sodium meal on Monday and the scale hasn't budged the rest of the week :grumble: Ok, that's not ENTIRELY accurate...it was up almost 4 pounds the next morning, lol. And has been VERY slowly creeping back down to where I was at on Monday's weigh-in. I suspect that I am retaining water and just wondered if there were any foods that can help my body release the water. ?

Replies

• lwest008
    lwest008 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would suspect any high water foods would help - aka fruit (ex, watermelon) or veggies (cucumbers, celery, tomatoes) - would be your best bet....along with a ton of plain water. Drink, drink, drink. Stay away from all pop or vegetable juices.
  • krisolso
    krisolso Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is a natural diuretic. Also, if you up your fiber intake this should let pull water into your colon and will help eliminate water this way.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    The most important thing to do is drink a lot of water! It will help to flush your system. Adding a little lemon or cucumber to your water will help act as a diuretic as well.
  • vanillasugar
    vanillasugar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Natural diuretic - that's what I was looking for. I don't drink pop - pretty much all I drink is water anyway. I always get at least my 8 glasses, and I know it's usually great at flushing the body, but I wondered if you're retaining water, and drinking more, if you wouldn't just retain more water...so I was looking for something that might help to release it.
  • eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Do a search on here for sassy water. It's a recipe from a diet book and helps release water. Someone posted the recipe on here. It has water, cucumber and ginger.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    ...I wondered if you're retaining water, and drinking more, if you wouldn't just retain more water...

Somehow I think you know that doesn't make sense...

How do you dilute salt? With water. So the more water you drink, the less salt you have in your body. Less salt means holding on to less water. Makes perfect sense, right?
  • afluegel
    afluegel Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was told adding lemon juice to your water was the best thing! also i read that Potassium is good at flushing out sodium - so try having a banana....
  • valleyp
    valleyp Posts: 49
    Options
    Green tea is a wonderful natural diuretic. Asparagus, cucumber, lemon and watermelon are some of the foods I rely on to help with water retention. Also, switch from regular table salt to sea salt where ever possible.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Eating fish and drinking lemon water helps me.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    ...I wondered if you're retaining water, and drinking more, if you wouldn't just retain more water...

Somehow I think you know that doesn't make sense...

How do you dilute salt? With water. So the more water you drink, the less salt you have in your body. Less salt means holding on to less water. Makes perfect sense, right?
    That's how I've always heard it.

From everything I've read and from experience, the general rule of thumb is this: drink half your body weight in ounces of water per day (depending on how much you weigh, it's going to be more than 64 ounces). For every 300 mg of salt you go OVER, drink another 8 ounces of water. Hope this helps!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I googled it and came up with the following

Natural diuretics are natural foods or herbs that allow increased flow of urine and thereby aid removal of fluids from the body. While natural diuretics aid removal of excess fluids from the body, it may also mean loss of important vitamins and minerals too. It is essential that they are supplemented to prevent loss of vital electrolytes. Look up some natural diuretic food that you can incorporate into your diet.

Diuretics

Foods like salt and sugar cause the body to retain considerable fluids. They may lead to bloating and water retention. Often inadequate protein in the diet can lead to fluid retention. When the body does not get enough amino acids or B-vitamins, it may accumulate excess fluids.

Diuretics are prescribed for people suffering from edema - accumulation of fluids in the body tissues. People suffering from high blood pressure or heart diseases may be prescribed diuretics. Women suffering from PMS symptoms such as bloating are often advised to take diuretics to rid the body of excess fluid retention. Often diuretics are taken in a bid to lose weight. If taken indiscriminately, diuretics can lead to serious consequences such as dehydration and potassium deficiency.

Natural diuretic

More and more people are resorting to natural foods and herbs that exhibit diuretic properties instead of diuretic pills. Moderation is the watchword even in the case of natural diuretics. Natural diuretics can aid in removal of excess fluids from the body and aid in treating of sciatica, kidney stone, lymphatic swelling, PMS, gonorrhea, liver disorders and high blood pressure.

* Green tea is a natural diuretic food that has been in use for centuries in China.
    * Consumption of cranberry juice can aid in removal of excess fluid retention.
    * Apple cider vinegar exhibits natural diuretic properties and in addition maintains the potassium levels. It can be added to the salad dressing.
    * Dandelion is often used as a natural diuretic.
    * Nettle has natural diuretic properties that facilitate good cleansing.
    * Dandelion leaf tea aids in detoxification and has a beneficial effect on those suffering from cystitis and urinary tract infections.
    * Fennel has carminative and diuretic properties and is frequently used in seasoning food.

Diuretic food

Natural foods with high water content such as watermelons and cucumbers help increase urination and better flushing out of toxins. Cucumbers are rich in sulfur and silicon that stimulate the kidneys into better removal of uric acid. Watercress and artichokes are also natural diuretic foods.

Asparagus contains asparigine - a chemical alkaloid that boosts kidney performance, thereby improving waste removal from the body.

Brussel Spouts help in stimulating the kidneys and pancreas. This helps in better cleansing of cells.

Beets are natural diuretic foods that attack floating body fats and fatty deposits.

Oats contain silica - a natural diuretic.

Cabbage is known to aid breakage of fatty deposits, especially around the abdominal region.

Carrots are a rich source of carotene that speeds the metabolic rate of the body and hastens removal of fat deposits and waste.

Lettuce aids better metabolism and flushing of toxins.

Tomatoes are rich in Vitamin C that aid the metabolism and release of water from the kidney to flush out waste.

Other than the other excellent properties that Garlic possesses, it is a natural diuretic food that aids breakage of fat. Horseradish, raw onions and radish speed up your metabolism.
    Portal for Women - A treasure trove of information
  • KajunDC
    KajunDC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the water. You need to drop fat - the water is inconsequential in the grand scheme.