Rice Cakes

Options
Are rice cakes concidered to be a healthy snack?

Replies

• afluegel
    afluegel Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm on the curves diet and they are part of it - so i'm guessing yes. The chocolate crunch with 1T natural Peanut Butter is my favorite snack and very filling!
  • supercool111
    Options
    its not really that they are healthy its more that they are super low cal and they are not 'unhealthy'
  • vixey2906
    vixey2906 Posts: 30
    Options
    Yeah I argree with above, its not healthy like fruit, but its not unhealthy with fat etc, its just filling low callorie food :) I have them alot when Im close to hiiting my calorie limit for the day and am hungryy!
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    I really never developed a taste for rice cakes. I really tried, but I feel like I'm eating cardboard with those things.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I agree they remind me of eating the styrofoam peanuts from a shipping package.
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    I believe they are!!!

I love the white cheddar ones, and top those w/1 tbsp of peanut butter --- Oh My!!
  • KajunDC
    KajunDC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    In a word - no. What little calories they contain are nothing more than empty carbs. You need nutrient dense foods that are lower in calories, not glorified Styrofoam that will spike your blood sugar. Try fibrous veggies for a snack.
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    Haha they do not taste like styrofoam!! I agree the white cheddar ones are by far the tastiest ones. I also agree that I should be eating better snacks like fruits and veggies however I do at times need to change things up and have something different as a snack. I found rice cakes to be low in calories and satifying enough to be worthy of my snacking habbits! lol

Thanks for the input everybody :tongue:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    white cheddar with a spoonful of salsa!
    apple cinnamon with a spoonful of peanut butter!

yum!
    not necessarily a "health food" like some have said...extra carbs and no real nutritional value, but delicious and satisfies me as much as a couple of cookies with less than half the calories!

So they come in handy to prevent cookie binges.
  • sdmcgowan
    sdmcgowan Posts: 13
    Options
    The white cheddar ones taste like popcorn to me. I like to eat them with a wedge of Laughing Cow. 75 calories for a quick little snack. I eat a ton of fruit already and like these as a change o pace.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I believe they are!!!

I love the white cheddar ones, and top those w/1 tbsp of peanut butter --- Oh My!!

another white cheddar fan. i could eat the whole package. i don't. but i could!!
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of them when losing my first 25 pounds. Now I find that I don't have enough calories for a food that doesn't KEEP me full. They also have a lot of sodium. I also found they seemed to make me more hungry. There are a lot worse things to eat for sure, but i wouldn't eat them everyday. A complex carb or whole grain is going to keep you satisfied longer.
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I had a white cheddar one this morning for a snack with some tuna and mustard, Delicious!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I just discovered the white cheddar ones this weekend and have already had one today! They taste like white cheddar popcorn that my bf's brother buys that we always eat...but, I know it's lower cal than that. It definitely fulfills that texture craving I get.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I think they're delicious. I like honey nut, caramel, and apple cinnamon (those are the only ones I've had! haha). They're like filler food. When you just want to put something in your mouth, they're great. They don't really fill you up. I'm often bored and not necessarily hungry... rice cakes are wonderful for that! You can have 8 small ones for 60 cals.