I have a bad gym problem, I'm that guy...

Options
IDK what it is, but I am always passing gas at the gym...It's super embarrassing and its usually pretty foul. I tend to have a movement every time I work out, but even afterwards I still pass gas. I obviously feel bad for everyone around me and it happens throughout my entire workout. I typically do treadmill, free weights, elliptical, and abs.

Is there anything anyone can help me with? I don't want to be the fart guy at the gym anymore lol.

Replies

• Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    bump : /
  • spm2010
    spm2010 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My bf does it all the time, he blames it on all the protein drinks.
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    beano
  • Leguman
    Options
    Could be many things. 1st thing i'd check is your diet. Some people tend to fart more when eating food that their body have trouble digesting (common cause of this are dairy product. Missing enzymes or enzymes not as active as they should be). High protein diet makes a lot of people fart too.

Or you could be heavenly blessed with genetics of the gods of farting, who knows? (semi-srs on genetics)
  • cakemewithyou
    cakemewithyou Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sorry, I feel for you. Maybe stop eating so much fiber!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Take a dump before you workout?
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should look at what you are eating and see if adjusting what or when you eat in relation to workouts will make a difference.

Also, this: http://www.flat-d.com/charcoal-underwear.html :laugh:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Wow, I thought I was the only one with this problem. Fortunately I work out at home...alone. I thought it was because I was eating more fibrous foods, like green leafy veggies.
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Sounds like digestive stuff, so maybe Beano or other enzymes would help--it's weird to me that Beano is usually promoted for those who eat beans, but it's not vegetarian itself (gelatin/fish in it). This reminds me of an old boyfriend who lived on sugar and candybars etc. and had gas all the time, so maybe that might be true of others. Perhaps a nutritionist would have good insights on it--but thanks for your concern for the public welfare and good luck with it!
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    IDK what it is, but I am always passing gas at the gym...It's super embarrassing and its usually pretty foul. I tend to have a movement every time I work out, but even afterwards I still pass gas. I obviously feel bad for everyone around me and it happens throughout my entire workout. I typically do treadmill, free weights, elliptical, and abs.

Is there anything anyone can help me with? I don't want to be the fart guy at the gym anymore lol.

Be a man and own it brother, be proud of it!!

3olyig.jpg
  • nurse_chris
    Options
    I ingest almost 300 grams of protein a day and do not have a gas problem..... The key for me is to eat a tonne of fibre - fruits, veggies, whole grains. My brother on the other hand, who does not eat a lot of fibre and just sticks a high protein diet is a smelly beast....

Good luck
  • jonmico
    jonmico Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Train fasted.
  • FSL010
    FSL010 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't drink those protein shakes, eat meat and you won't fart that much...
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Could be too much fiber. 20-30g is a good number if I have more I get tummy issues x
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Just blame the guy next to you.
  • Barkingshelties
    Options
    Try probiotics (generally in the refrigerated section of health food stores) or foods with live cultures, such as yogurt or kefir. Most people don't like the flavor of plain yogurt but it works really well, you can put fresh fruit in it. I know someone who is a LOT less gassy since he started eating plain yogurt.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I don't drink protein shakes and get all of my protein (albeit high) from chicken and fish and other natural goodies.
    I do have a high fiber diet, but I don't have problems going to the bathroom, I am pretty regular.

LOL on the charcoal underwear and the meme :P

I don't really want to resort to beano cause i don't want to feel like an old man (or spend the money), but is that really the best option?
  • nurse_chris
    Options
    try substituting foods out one at a time and see if you can eliminate the problem.

Good luck
  • Leguman
    Options
    Guys, what works for someone could very well not work for another. Everyone has different digestive enzymes or bacterial flora in their intestine. Being regular doesn't change the fact that it could very well be fiber that cause you to fart like a gas machine. Maybe fiber isn't the cause of your fart too though.

Take home message : Everyone farts differently
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    What time of day do you work out? Do you have a snack before you go? What meals have you had earlier in the day?