Lost My Job!

Options
I am bummed. Found out my job is ending on June 30. I work as an instructor in NJ and EVERYONE got cut. Well, after 9 years I am out without benefits, salary, etc. In fact, no one came to tell us in person. We read it in the paper! How do you like that? So I needed to vent. I will brush myself off and get back up and start the job search process. I have another job but it just isn't enough. My eating has stopped. That is not good either. I have no appetite. How rare for me! Thanks for "listening".....could use any moral support you have out there. Hope everyone is well and enjoying the weekend.

Replies

• guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I am so very Sorry. I wish there were some magic words that would make you dont worry and stress. But there are none that I can think of other than ((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))
  • jdcole67
    jdcole67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your job loss...I had a similar experience about 7 years ago, and was out of work for almost 10 months...but I live in Florida, and high-tech jobs were/are scarce...it will get better, I promise you...I never thought I would ever find a job, but I am with a great company and I love my work...I will keep you in my thoughts and hope the layoff is short-lived...remember this time as an opportunity for growth, not a failure on your part and you will do fine...good luck!
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear that. We teachers need to make a stand about the education of our students. Too many are burning out because of state testing and they are changing it all the time. I have been working for over 30 years and each year I get more frustrated with the legislature and parents. Hope you find something soon. Keep on putting those applications in. But don't give up on yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • Chrystala
    Chrystala Posts: 11
    Options
    Hang in there. It's taken me a year and a half and I finally go a short term gig. Encourage yourself, when you can't get it from anywhere else.
  • Chrystala
    Chrystala Posts: 11
    Options
    Hang in there. It's taken me a year and a half and I finally go a short term gig. Encourage yourself, when you can't get it from anywhere else.
  • Julie837
    Julie837 Posts: 84
    Options
    I am so sorry too, now is such a terrible time to be out, but you sound like a smart guy so I'm sure you'll come out on top. Hang in there! J
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    :sad: So sorry!! I am sending hugs and good thoughts your way!!:flowerforyou:
  • rightandleft
    Options
    Oh, that's one of the hardest things to go through. And sooner or later everyone goes through it. It's a good idea to try temp jobs while searching for your ideal job. That worked for me. My heart goes out to you! And you'll be amazed how frequently everyone you know will ask you "have you found a job yet?" So you'll have an instant network...try and use it. But for the near future, get a few funny movies.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I was laid off last May. I keep telling myself that it is an opportunity for something new. I just haven't found it yet. So I am now using the time to get myself healthy. My days consist of exersize, healthy meal planning and job hunting. The exersize really keeps my mental health on track. Keep your chin up and know that you truly are not alone.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I lost my job this time last year, it was very difficult but I made it through and have an even better job now. It will all work out! It's super stressful but just remember.. they say.. "finding a job is a full time job" and it's true. The bonus was I made it to the gym more often when I was unemployed and ate right because I was making meals at home! Good luck to you! I know it will be hard but have faith. Who knows, you could end up like me.. losing that job was a blessing! Best wishes!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    The exersize really keeps my mental health on track.

Rj's right. It did for me too! I'm feel alot better about myself when I'm staying active.
  • ideretic
    ideretic Posts: 38
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your job! But every ending is a new beginning and it's important to keep going! wishing you all the luck and hope you find a new one soon! and take care of yourself because at the end without health you have nothing!
  • profjan6
    profjan6 Posts: 333
    Options
    I can't believe how great all of you are! Your kind words have helped me. I know I am not alone with this problem, but I have never had to deal with it first hand. I worry about the job prospects, since there aren't many out there. I also worry about the money (who doesn't) and what I will do if/when I have all that free time on my hands. Exercise is good! Yes, I will finally not have to find time to squeeze in a workout. I do have another job that won't pay me enough to cover what I need. I will be able to get health benefits through husband's job so that is good. I am trying to be positive and all of you help SO MUCH. Checking back here has been great for me. I will remain positive. Guess I just have to get over these first few days of "grieving"....sending out good wishes to you all! Janet
  • profjan6
    profjan6 Posts: 333
    Options
    Hope you all had a good weekend. I am going back to work today and it won't be easy. We still have not been "formally" notified by the administration of our school. Do you believe that? I have a pit in my stomach, and I have not been eating well. In fact I have not been eating much at all. I need help in figuring out how to deal with my emotions on all this. I've been lucky till now, and never had to deal with this. Sorry for all the complaining.