Stopped Workout and LOST Weight?!?!

Options
I try to workout 4-6 days a week, depending on my schedule, mood and sleep habits. As a teacher, there are parts of a school where things just get too hectic and I have to gain time somewhere so my workout usually suffers in favor of getting sleep (because, after all, my doctor stresses that if I don't get enough sleep I won't lose any weight anyway).

For the last 5 days I've just felt wiped out and exhausted overall and work has been a huge strain so I've opted to sleep in rather than work out. I've actually managed to get 8 hours of sleep a night all week, and kept my calories at my usual 1300ish (when I work out I eat back what I burn so I net 1300ish as well).

In the last month or so BEFORE this I had pretty much plateau'd and was sitting at approximately 158 (give or take a pound as I fluctuated). In the last 5 days I've dropped from 158 to 154.0.

The only change is that I have stopped working out and I'm getting an hour more sleep a night (rather than waking up early to work out I sleep that extra hour). I HAVE added an iron supplement (doctors orders due to low iron in blood work) but I only added that mid-week and so it has only been in my system 2 days.

Why is it that I am suddenly losing the weight now? I was thinking it could be lost muscle but I don't think I could really lose that much muscle in only 5 days.

Today I did work out. Will I put the weight back on by working out? I really enjoyed that drop, I've been trying to get below 155 (mini goal) for so long.

Replies

• sstephanrodriguez
    sstephanrodriguez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I actually know someone who suffered a foot injury and had to stop working out for some time, and she saw weight loss during that time, too. I honestly think that sometimes I tend to overdo cardio--I work out 6-7 days a week and do cardio every time. I think that when we shrink back a little bit, our bodies recover me and we do lose weight.
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I did the same stuck for a month. someone said more calories less exercise because I DON'T eat them back did this for a week dropped 2.5 lbs .
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hate to pop ur bubble, but the 1st few lbs lost would definitely be muscle. I usually gain a couple after a good weight lifting session.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Your body may just have needed some rest. Sometimes when it's under too much pressure it hangs on to weight. Also sore muscles hold water. Giving your muscles some time out you may have lost some water... It may return when you workout again... Only way to tell is when you start exercising again.

Often I'm at a standstill and then I suddenly get a big whoosh... Weight loss is not linear. Don't be disheartened if a bit comes back on after exercising its just water.. Not fat! X
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Hate to pop ur bubble, but the 1st few lbs lost would definitely be muscle.

No need for that! Certainly not in 5 days!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    There are many possible reasons. One of which is, when you work out, you're muscles retain water to help with recovery. So, it may have been water weight. As far as 'gaining" weight, you're scale may increase, but you're not going to gain 4 lbs of fat in a week.

Also, weight loss doesn't always happen in a linear fashion. In other words, you may be set to lose a pound or two a week, but you're body doesn't lose weight like that. You'll be the same weight in general for a while than all of the sudden, you'll drop. Many people believe they plateau, when in fact, they haven't given their body time to adjust. From what I understand, a plateau is when you don't lose anything for about 6 weeks to two months.

Weight loss is achieved by a calorie deficit, working out helps with this deficit. Working out also helps with body composition and building and retaining and maintaining muscle. You will lose weight without doing any working outs..but you'll not be as happy with the end result than you will if you work out as well. Take a break, rest up, sleep....but when you get a chance to get back at it, I would say go for it, and not worry about the scale, but more about the end results.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Hate to pop ur bubble, but the 1st few lbs lost would definitely be muscle. I usually gain a couple after a good weight lifting session.

No. Not in 5 days she won't lose muscle.
  • Amlong1977
    Amlong1977 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I do the Sam's thing. You didn't lose muscle, it was water weight. When you workout your muscles retain water to repair themselves. I plateaued & did a reset, stopped working out & ate at maintenance for a week. That was the week leading up to Thanksgiving. I lost that week & have lost about 6-8 lbs since then. I think sometimes your body just needs a break. Depending on what your lbs/wk are set to, you should probably lower it a little & eat more. 1300 calories is fairly low for an extended period if time. I was on 1200 for a ping time. After I did the reset I lowered my lbs/wk from 2 to 1 1/2 & am now eating 1590 calories & continue to lose weight. These are suggestions that were made yo me & they worked so I wanted to pass them along. I've lost 106 lbs so far so something is working. :) If you have any questions feel free to message me.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

So, you gain a few pounds of muscle after a good workout? So If you have 2 good workouts for 50 weeks we'll see you in the Mr Olympia 2013??
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

According to my spine surgeon, it only takes 2-3 days for muscle atrophy to begin..
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Cortisol is the stress hormone. Cortisol is produced anytime there is stress on our bodies, from eating at a calorie deficit, from working out, from lack of sleep, and whatever else is causing us stress in our life. Cortisol also prevents weight loss. It may be that when you rested your body and didn't work out, you removed enough cortisol to see a loss.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    There are many possible reasons. One of which is, when you work out, you're muscles retain water to help with recovery. So, it may have been water weight. As far as 'gaining" weight, you're scale may increase, but you're not going to gain 4 lbs of fat in a week.

Also, weight loss doesn't always happen in a linear fashion. In other words, you may be set to lose a pound or two a week, but you're body doesn't lose weight like that. You'll be the same weight in general for a while than all of the sudden, you'll drop. Many people believe they plateau, when in fact, they haven't given their body time to adjust. From what I understand, a plateau is when you don't lose anything for about 6 weeks to two months.

Weight loss is achieved by a calorie deficit, working out helps with this deficit. Working out also helps with body composition and building and retaining and maintaining muscle. You will lose weight without doing any working outs..but you'll not be as happy with the end result than you will if you work out as well. Take a break, rest up, sleep....but when you get a chance to get back at it, I would say go for it, and not worry about the scale, but more about the end results.

^:flowerforyou:
  • Valencia123456
    Valencia123456 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    SLEEP is definitely a factor to weight loss!! Your body works slower if it doesn't have the energy to do what it needs to do.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

qft
  • Valencia123456
    Valencia123456 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

This is crazy!! That means that whenever you go on vacation your muscles atrophy!!
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    So I have no science for this but just personal experience. When I really started focusing on getting in better shape I had every calorie counted, worked out non stop, and would feel insane guilt or anxiety if I was not PERFECT everyday. The weight did come off but it soon stopped. I think that sometimes our best intentions backfire on us. You start trying to lose weight and it want it to fly off so you go all out when that's not really required.

Of course you want to eat well and get your exercise in but I don't think we have to punish ourselves as hard as we do. We really need to understand that the weight will not fly off and this will take time and that is ANNOYING! lol

I go into all this because it sounds to me like your body needed rest. You life sounds busy and then you're working out and eating a low calorie amount and maybe your body just need a break. Mine does. I go all out for a few weeks and then have a few down days. I only do light walks and bump up my calories. After those few days the weight starts going down again and I feel refreshed and ready to keep going. There is a lot of truth to slow and steady. Go with the flow and make good food and exercise choices 90% of the time and weight loss will happen. All the best to you!
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options

According to my spine surgeon, it only takes 2-3 days for muscle atrophy to begin..

Muscle atrophy can show in as little as 3 days IF your limbs are immobilized -- say if you were in bed rest all day, not simply by skipping a week worth of workouts.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    If I went into a coma, I'd lose. Not a great plan, long-term. The scale is not the only measure of progress.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options

No way in heck is did she lose a few lbs of muscle mass in 5 days!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Your body needed the rest. I remember this past summer when I hurt my foot, I had to take a week of from running and Insanity. I did, lost 3 lbs in a week and at that time I wasn't cutting cals. If I remember correctly I was eating above BMR because I have to eat :)

I thought it was a fluke with the scale but i never gained that weight back.