• Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Ask SKitty, she seems be fine
    tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Actual studies saying it's bad? Not aware of any. Personal opinion? I still think we'll eventually find out that while it may not be disastrously hazardous for your health, it probably does some bad things to you eventually...but again, this is based on almost zero real science.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

You totally lost me at the point where you said that Skitty seems fine.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

physically fine.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

physically fine.

So you're saying that diet soda leads to that kind of mental state?

Uh, no thanks. I'll just drink plain water. (Besides, I can also log that as water.)
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I drink diet pepsi and I know a lot of people who drink it the Doctor even told me if I was going to drink soda drink diet...if He said it is okay I am not worried lol...Everything in moderation is okay...Don't drink a 12 pack of diet soda a day ;)
  • fitambitious
    fitambitious Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, aspartame or other artificial sweetners are ok for human consumption and is not detrimental for health if taken in reasonable amounts. However, diet drinks shouldn't be consumed by people who suffer from phenylketonuria and intolerance to artificial sweetners/and caffeine (Most diet drinks have caffeine). From what I have read on an article, a normal healthy person can consume up to 2 cans (600 ml) of diet soda on a daily basis without harming the body.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    zevia. all natural soda. a little more expensive but tastes way better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    Wow...good article. I had heard in the past that certain chemicals related to the break down of aspartame do not leave your body but build to toxic levels. I've never taken up diet soda because the few times I've tried it I get the shakes. A wierd reaction that I'm now very thankful for. But water and unsweetened tea do get boring ...:(
    Wherever you read that from is false. Toxicity is measurable in the body. I have yet to hear someone die from "aspartame toxicity poisoning".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    There isn't or ever will be a smoking gun... Much less a chemical as benign as aspartame.

Your body can take care of certain doses of cyanide, arsenic, mercury, lead, sarin, formaldehyde, tetrodotoxin, Botox, etc. Sorry, we are absolutely amazing and will survive. A few food preservatives and some nonnutritutive sweeteners aren't going to take your body down, as your body MAKES more toxic chemicals daily, hourly, and every second than aspartame.
    Heck people who work in the x ray room of a hospital (even with the protective gear and safety) have a higher chance of getting ill compared to the average diet soda drinker.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    This topic is debated on here almost every other day.

This is totally a personal choice and you're going to get info from everywhere supporting both sides.

What I will say is that what annoys me on threads like this are the people who say it is clearly black or clearly white.
    Some people have reactions and some don't. To say that no one will react is as ignorant as a person arguing that all people will react. Personally I avoid the stuff. There is natural and there is man made. Just like trans fat. Trans fat is naturally occurring and then there is man made. If you feel fine and you like it then by all means in moderation. Also, its not going to mess up your teeth. It's fake sugar. Non-diet will mess up your teeth.

Like I said this is truly a personal decision.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I can feel guilt free about my once or twice a week habit now. Sorry I didn't post this in food and nutrition btw... :blushing:
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to worry if it's once or twice a week. A lot of diet versions of stuff use extra additives to keep the same taste including aspartame. I don't drink much soda regularly anyway but I remember trying the low cal version of dannon yogurt once. It had aspartame in it and it RUINED my stomach for a few days.
  • wonderlandpua
    Options
    problem with diet soda is the body thinks all the fake sugar is real.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    problem with diet soda is the body thinks all the fake sugar is real.
    i'd try these if you're on a diet:
    http://thegreatdietsolution.net/slim-fast-ready-to-drink/

No it does not.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    So much FUD re: artificial sweeteners. I have yet to see ANY scientific evidence to indicate that there is any reason to be concerned with them in any quantities at which a normal person would consume them.

If you want a chemical to be paranoid about, I'd pick something like sodium benzoate, which breaks down into benzene, which is actually bad for you. There are hundreds of better choices than artificial sweeteners if you are looking for things to avoid.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's totally a personal decision. For what it's worth, though, this is the one that gave me the motivation to give up soda:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/media_relations/library/2012/2012-04-20-study-finds-soda-consumption-increases-overall-stroke-risk.aspx

This one also contributed to my motivation:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20075358-10391704/new-study-is-wake-up-call-for-diet-soda-drinkers/
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's totally a personal decision. For what it's worth, though, this is the one that gave me the motivation to give up soda:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/media_relations/library/2012/2012-04-20-study-finds-soda-consumption-increases-overall-stroke-risk.aspx

This one also contributed to my motivation:
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20075358-10391704/new-study-is-wake-up-call-for-diet-soda-drinkers/

The first link relates to a study on non diet soda. Although it does not link the study it was a non-controlled study and so causation cannot be shown , but rather correlation. The issue with these studies is that the consumption of soda cannot be looked at in isolation. I believe that it is referring to the same study already discussed in this thread where the category of people who consumed soda were also more likely to consume more fast food. So the 'blame' cannot be laid at the foot of soda in isolation. Also, it should be remembered that the biggest risk for many diseases is obesity rather than an individual food item.

The second article cites a study on rats and another that shows a correlation but not causation as it was a non-controlled review on obesity. What is does show that people that drink diet soda who are not tracking their intake have a propensity to have a higher calorie intake. This is not relevant when tracking calories.

Just to be clear, I am not arguing that if you are someone that drinking diet soda triggers cravings it is not a good idea to limit or give it up, I am just trying to get the point across that diet soda, or even soda, when consumed in reasonable quantities, is not necessarily the bogeyman.
  • vegdocmama
    vegdocmama Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/04/saccharin-aspartame-dangers.aspx

http://www.safefood.org.nz/aspartaddict.html

http://cspinet.org/new/pdf/aspartame_letter_to_fda.pdf

http://www.naturalnews.com/035126_aspartame_side_effects_withdrawal.html#ixzz1o6K68AO7

Aspartame (Nutrasweet) is a known neurotoxin. Its by-products cross the blood-brain barrier and wreak havoc on your brain cells by overexciting the neurons and releasing free radicals into them. It is also addictive, as it triggers your brain's reward centers. It really is bad for your body. And as another post said earlier, why not choose something we know is healthy (like water or tea) rather than a man-made chemical we aren't sure of?
  • mikejamesjhm
    Options
    The concept seems to be good, but does Joint Juice really work? To find out, you need to ask clients who have been taking it for a while.Fast Joint Care+ is a revolution that relieves several types of joint pains as well as improves flexibility and considerable amount of Joint Relief Products.