Finicky Food Ideas?

Options
Hi everybody, I'm looking for some good meals for lunch/dinner that are high in protein, lower in sodium and calories AND do not include any bread, rice, or pasta. I've been doing a lot with salads lately and while I enjoy them, I'm finding some of the things I add to my salad for the protein are full of sodium.

Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• srobey
    srobey Posts: 3
    Options
    im gonna guess that this isnt gonna be what your looking for, but i eat this a lot. im not sure on all the cal break downs (just cause ive never looked up some of it)

anyway... i like to buy frozen chicken breast tenderloins. i thaw them out and chunk them. then toss them in the skillet with PAM (just to keep it from sticking) once they are browning on the outsides i chop up some zuchinni (spelling??) or other vegi. (I have been trying many different squashes... really any fresh vegi is good. snow peas are always a good pick) sometimes i will use a grill or vegi seasoning on it, or i'll throw a shake or two if parm. cheese on it and let it all brown up. I eat this all the time. takes less then 10min from start to finish.

EDIT::
    Sorry I dont have any salad tips, im not a huge salad fan, but i have learned that they are tons better when u throw as many raw vegies in as possible :) good luck
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    A nice piece of chicken!
  • vilas
    vilas Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi ! you lost 66 pounds! gosh that's amazing!

I am vegetarian and I am also struggling wtih the protein issue. Apparently tofu is high in protein and low in calories, not sure about the sodium to be honest. You can just add it to your salad to boost the protein. I don't think its very tasty though!

Best of luck!

Vilas
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    salad protein: tuna, almonds, any nut for that matter, any lunch meats sliced up (i am sure some are low in sodium), hard boiled eggs (this is my fav)
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options

anyway... i like to buy frozen chicken breast tenderloins. i thaw them out and chunk them. then toss them in the skillet with PAM (just to keep it from sticking) once they are browning on the outsides i chop up some zuchinni (spelling??) or other vegi. (I have been trying many different squashes... really any fresh vegi is good. snow peas are always a good pick) sometimes i will use a grill or vegi seasoning on it, or i'll throw a shake or two if parm. cheese on it and let it all brown up. I eat this all the time. takes less then 10min from start to finish.

EDIT::
    Sorry I dont have any salad tips, im not a huge salad fan, but i have learned that they are tons better when u throw as many raw vegies in as possible :) good luck

Sounds great!!! Thank you. I'm not really good at cooking, so that's why I've been doing a lot of salads lately, LOL. But this sounds like something I can do. =)
  • amillward27
    Options
    A great salad that I love has the following:

1 breast of Tyson precooked grilled chicken breast fillet (in freezer section of grocery store, 6 breasts in a package)
    3 cups spinach
    1/2 cup carrots
    1/2 cup mandarin oranges ( no sugar added, drained)
    1/2 cup diced apples

All you have to do is baked the chicken on a cookie sheet for 20 minutes (the last few minutes I drizzle on fat free italian dressing and broil), cut it up and put it on your salad. I top everything with fat free italian ceasar dressing (kraft). The whole salad, which fills me up, totals around 180 calories, has 28 grams of protein and only 2 grams of fat. If you want, you can add in some craisins which add more fiber to the salad and even more taste.
  • SraArroz
    Options
    Hi ! you lost 66 pounds! gosh that's amazing!

I am vegetarian and I am also struggling wtih the protein issue. Apparently tofu is high in protein and low in calories, not sure about the sodium to be honest. You can just add it to your salad to boost the protein. I don't think its very tasty though!

Best of luck!

Vilas

Thanks! :smile: I appreciate the tofu suggestion, but I really can't do tofu. I'm one of those who if I know it's in something I just can't bring myself to eat it. LOL
  • SraArroz
    Options
    salad protein: tuna, almonds, any nut for that matter, any lunch meats sliced up (i am sure some are low in sodium), hard boiled eggs (this is my fav)

That is how I eat most salads. LOL And luckily Sara Lee makes lower sodium deli meats, turkey, chicken, ham, and roast beef. They're pretty good. My favorite thing on my salads is sunflower seeds, they're so full of fat and calories, but so tasty!
  • SraArroz
    Options
    A great salad that I love has the following:

1 breast of Tyson precooked grilled chicken breast fillet (in freezer section of grocery store, 6 breasts in a package)
    3 cups spinach
    1/2 cup carrots
    1/2 cup mandarin oranges ( no sugar added, drained)
    1/2 cup diced apples

All you have to do is baked the chicken on a cookie sheet for 20 minutes (the last few minutes I drizzle on fat free italian dressing and broil), cut it up and put it on your salad. I top everything with fat free italian ceasar dressing (kraft). The whole salad, which fills me up, totals around 180 calories, has 28 grams of protein and only 2 grams of fat. If you want, you can add in some craisins which add more fiber to the salad and even more taste.

That sounds great! I never think about fruit in my salads! Thanks! :smile: