How important is WHAT you eat???

Options
Hi,
I've been trying to lose weight unsuccessfully for a year. Now, I'm really serious about it. I calculated my TDEE and took a 20% cut from it which gave me a goal of 1663 calories a day. Now, I've been eating at that for the past 2 weeks, but I haven't seen much of a loss.
I'm wondering if what I eat could be causing this. I'm a first year in college, so the dining halls are really the only food source for me. I still eat under my calorie limit, but am I staying at the same weight because of the food itself? I recently read tosca reno's eat clean book, and i'm wondering if i have to permanently give up sugar and white flour in order to lose weight. First off, that would be really hard to do in college and second off, its chritmastime and i love baking. However, i would do it to lose the stubborn 12lbs i have on my frame...
Can someone please guide me in the right direction here? thanks
btw" I run for 40 minutes about 4 or 5 times a week)

Replies

• gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide to do, don't remove everything you like from your diet because the risk of it backfiring and you over indulging goes up. Make some better choices, get your calories from a variety of sources, drink plenty of water and get some exercise throughout the week. If your calories in are less than your calories out, you should be losing weight.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If you are running, you are going to have to eat those calories back too. Your food seems fine for the days listed. I didn't see the days you worked out though.

12 pounds to loose does not seem a lot. Could you be at a good weight now?
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up sugar and white flour. You can just reduce it.

If your dining hall is anything like the one at my former college, here my advice. For breakfast, try to get oatmeal, or fruit. For lunch and dinner, avoid sauces and cheeses, fried food, and baked goods. They probably won't be as good as the stuff you can make, anyway, right? Try to get a plate of veggies (salad, or steamed veggies) first. If you are still hungry, try to get the healthiest looking entree, and eat the good parts. It's okay to not eat everything on your plate. For example, if they give you hamburgers, take out the meat and veggies, and crumble it over a salad. If they only have fried rice and fried noodles on a day, limit yourself to about a cup of it, and try to fill up on veggies and fruit.

And go ahead and bake, but share with your res hall/ classmates/ TA/ and professor. If you make 24 cupcakes, eat one a day, and give the rest away, or make smaller batches.

You can do it =)
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    Low carb = fastest weight loss. But if you're running you wont have energy.
  • csearcher34
    Options
    Okay, thanks for the advice. The reason I don't have my running logged in is only because when i calculated my TDEE with a 20% cut i figured the exercise into the equation. So 1663 is supposedly the amount I should eat all days. For my stats I'm about 5'5 and i weigh 132lbs, and I really just want to get back down to 120lbs.
    So it seems that the best key would be to still enjoy some foods i like, just in moderation?
  • csearcher34
    Options
    Is it possible my calorie intake just needs to be lowered more?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you have found out how many calories maintain your weight then you just cut from that. That said, make sure or take some time (a few months) to make sure you know what that number is and cut 10-20% from that and maintain your activity level. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Try adding some strength training to your workouts. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn while at rest. That could help with the bit of weight you're trying to lose.

You could try lowering your calories on the days that you don't workout/run. Good luck!
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think WHAT you eat is very important. I read that every few days, our skin repairs itself with what we eat... you are literally WHAT you eat. I would rather be covered in fruits, veggies, and beans, than sugar, McDonald's, and red meat.
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    But if you're just looking for pure weight loss do low carb - Im not kidding, I lost 6.4 lbs since Tuesday with a 1400 cal, <80g carb/day with 0 exercise. Sure a lot may be water but in previous experiences the weight keeps dropping at around 0.5-1lb/day for the first month which is 15-20lbs.... no way you can get there with a regular high carb diet unless you do a ton of cardio and really restrict your calories to < 1200.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Whatever you decide to do, don't remove everything you like from your diet because the risk of it backfiring and you over indulging goes up. Make some better choices, get your calories from a variety of sources, drink plenty of water and get some exercise throughout the week. If your calories in are less than your calories out, you should be losing weight.

Please take the above advice.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not quite enough time to draw any conclusions. i think your approach is valid. stick with it several more weeks.
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

I agree! going super nuts and drasticly cutting something like sugar or sodium can have a huge negative effect. I would just try to make some healthy choices any time that you can. I personally just aim to stay under my calorie goal and keep my daily intake to 40% carbs, 30% protein and fat. But you really have to do what works for you. :) Good luck!
  • mpcheek
    Options
    I am your same size and have the same goal. I'm going for 1200 calories a day with 4 days of cardio.
    That being said, I am quite a bit older than you so, metabolisms are going to be different.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is it possible my calorie intake just needs to be lowered more?

No, your calories should be increased. It's your expectations that should be lowered. Your profile shows you have only a few pounds to lose. A 20% cut from TDEE is for someone with a lot to lose, not for someone like you. You should have a small deficit and work on your body fat percentage instead of your scale weight.

ETA: And *NO* don't give up sugar and white flour. There's no reason for that.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    A 20% cut from TDEE is for someone with a lot to lose, not for someone like you.

No, 20% is a pretty safe cut.
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    I used to lose weight doing that. I lost more weight doing NO cardio and eating 1400 calories a day with < 80g carbs
    I am your same size and have the same goal. I'm going for 1200 calories a day with 4 days of cardio.
    That being said, I am quite a bit older than you so, metabolisms are going to be different.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I think it's incredibly important WHAT you eat. Eat clean foods as much as you can.

What has served me well is listening to what I crave. That is my body telling me something. If I crave Brussels sprouts or peanut butter or chocolate or cheese (my most common cravings), I eat them. I have not been sick in almost two years (before this I was sick several times a year) and I have never looked or felt better in my life.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you're studying, you don't want to completely give up sugar. Specially if your lectures/classes/exams take place in the mornings,you want to have a good cup of milk/coffee/tea/whateveryouhaveforbreakfast with sugar, instead of an artificial sweetener.

Besides,two weeks is not enough time to know if you're stuck.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options

I agree wholeheartedly! Don't get rid of anything unless there is a specific health reason. Eat as well as you can but I will tell you that trying to eat totally clean will drive you insane lmao! I have tired and my life does not allow me to make all things from scratch. I'm assuming as a busy student yours does not either. Eat your fruits and veggies, get your protein, eat your carbs, and BAKE SISTER BAKE!