Oatmeal

Options
What's the nutritional difference between steel-cut, old fashioned, and instant? I know some of the flavored instant oatmeal has a lot more sugar, obviously, but otherwise, is steel-cut better for you or is it preferred because it's more natural or what? Or do you just enjoy the texture more? Thanks.

Replies

• Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    The old-fashioned is rolled, the instant is rolled and steamed and the steel cut is just that, only cut. The steel cut is the best one because it is an intact grain so there is like less loss of nutrients due to processing.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    There's probably a small difference in macros, as gerlombian suggests, because of the differences in processing. I don't think the nutritional data on the packages is any different across the three.

Personally I say, "eat whichever one you like." I don't see a cooking time difference between the instant and the old-fashioned Quaker stuff. I have oatmeal every morning for breakfast, either one takes just a couple minutes in the microwave. Definitely, though, you should get the plain stuff and add in whatever flavor you like (protein powder and banana for me). Too much sodium and chemicals in the pre-flavored packets for my liking.

Steel cut, on the other hand, takes more time. 25 minutes on the stove top. So, if you're like me -- up and needing to get ready in the morning fast because you've got kids to drop off and work to get to, it may not be the best option. And I don't really like the texture of stove-top cooked steel cut oats. Reminds me too much of undercooked grits. One of these days I'll try it overnight slow-cooked to see if that makes is a little more soft (more like properly cooked grits) for me.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Actually, I like steel cut better than the others. Yes, it does take longer to cook. When I make it, I make extra servings and freeze it in indiviual serving size containers. You can mix anything in to it that you like. I make mine with a little honey, chia seeds, cinnamon and chopped walnuts. I usually put blueberries on top and use blue diamond almond milk with coconut. It is so yummy.
    I have gotten several friends hooked on it as well. One of them hates oatmeal, but loves the steel cut oats. It has a chewier texture than more processed oats.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Nutrient wise they are the same, but the steel cut and old fashioned are slower to cook and slower to digest keeping your blood sugar stable and you feeling fuller for longer (lower glycaemic index). Speed up cooking time by soaking overnight in milk.
  • bonjovan
    bonjovan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love Steel Cut Oats! I cook them every Sunday in advance for the following week. I use the below link for preparing them and it's delicious!

http://www.thekitchn.com/oatmeal-in-jars-a-week-of-stee-143623
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    To me there is no comparison to steel cut, instant and old fashioned.

I LOVE steel cut and eat them 4 or 5 times a week for any meal. I boil two cups oats in 8 cups water for 25 minutes. Let cook and put in fridge container. Last for about three days.

Tastes like a dessert to me. Watch the calories though.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    The volume of the old fashioned and steel cut is dramatically different from the instant. I've found that its at least twice as large as the instant. It certainly is more filling (to me).
  • FawnAnnette
    Options
    Steel cut are best. A whole grain, with the ability to keep one full longer. They are delicious. I make a large batch, use small containers and store in fridge.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    steel cut are more expensive is the main difference

since most people will be adding things like honey and fruit and whatever to make this bland oat something they can actually eat, it really makes no difference

there is nothing magical about oats of any kind.

they are a good source of carbs, but people treat oatmeal as if it is the most healthy thing on the planet.

they aren't