circuit training or cardio or a mix of both?

Options
First off my goal is not to lose weight but rather to firm and tone up. I also want to increase my general indurance.

I have been working out on my treadmill aprox 4 -5 days a week, trying to make it a HIIT workout by varying slower speed at 10% incline for 1.5 - 2 min then upping the speed for 1 minute at the same incline. I generally do about 8-10 of the highter intensity speeds with a warm up and cool down at either end of the workout, which takes me about 40-45 minutes.

I have recently been reading about weight training and circuit training for weight loss but I notice the pics of people doing it show the kind of results I want. So I started adding some circuit training with weights to my treadmill workouts or in place of them. I feel like I get a more intense workout on the treadmill as I am pretty exhausted at the end, and I know my heartrate goes up way higher than when doing the circuit training. But the information I have read says you continue to burn throughout the day after circuit training as well as build muscle if you do it on alternatine days. So I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on which is better for my goal...the circuit training or cardio or a mix of both?

I should add that this I can only workout at home due to life circumstances (read kids and work lol) and that I definately feel improvement in my legs and to a lesser degree my butt, however I see no change at all in my abs or upper body...

Replies

• amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    sounds like you want to get leaner and it is all going to start with what goes in your mouth. eat clean lift and continue your training you will see the results.

circuit training and HIIT are basically the same thing so if your you are doing the right circuit your heart rate will get up too... burpees battling ropes kettlebells are all good things to use in your circuit to get the heart rate up

if your gym offers a boot camp class you may want to give that a try also
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Doing any kind of new exercise movement requires that you develop the movement proficiency to be able to push yourself to the level you want to achieve. You have been doing the treadmill, and treadmill walking is pretty simple, so right now it is easier to push yourself to a higher level. You might not be proficient enough at the circuit movements to reach the same level.

Another thing is that some movements are such that you cannot push yourself to a high level no matter what. This can be especially true of body-weight workouts. It all depends on the particular movements and your ability to do them.

There is likely no difference in the "afterburn" between a circuit routine and your HIIT workouts--those effects are usually significantly overstated. Again, it all depends on the movements and how they are performed.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I feel like I get a more intense workout on the treadmill as I am pretty exhausted at the end, and I know my heartrate goes up way higher than when doing the circuit training.

I definately feel improvement in my legs and to a lesser degree my butt, however I see no change at all in my abs or upper body...

if you don't feel the intensity or see the change, then you are probably not working hard enough, or lifting enough weight.

if you don't have the money and space for a barbell and plates, look into kettle bells. they are very versatile pieces of equipment and can be used for a lot of upper body work outs.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    First off my goal is not to lose weight but rather to firm and tone up. I also want to increase my general indurance.

I stopped reading after this sentence. Neither. Lift heavy. There are a number of great heavy lifting regimes out there that you can follow...some even are free. I would recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women (book) or Stronglifts 5x5. You'll get firm and tone up for sure. On your off days, incorporate cardio to help build endurance.

ETA: Skip the circuit training...IMO it's a waste of time.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I stopped reading after this sentence. Neither. Lift heavy. There are a number of great heavy lifting regimes out there that you can follow...some even are free. I would recommend New Rules of Lifting for Women (book) or Stronglifts 5x5. You'll get firm and tone up for sure. On your off days, incorporate cardio to help build endurance.

ETA: Skip the circuit training...IMO it's a waste of time.

i partially agree with you.

yes, "firming and toning" are basically words females use to describe a body with low body fat percentage. similar to the way men use 'ripped' and 'shredded.'

i agree to get the book new rules of lifting for women.

however, for many many beginners, circuit training is the way to go. especially if you don't have access to more traditional equipment.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I do something similar, interval training with and without weights. Three different exercises, one after the other for a minute or 15 -20 reps, then a one minute rest, and repeat circuit twice more. Never been sure how to log it, I did post asking how I should, so log as 50/50 circuit training and strength training. This was something my PT introduced me to. I enjoy it, and have had good results. I also do straight lifting and straight cardio.
  • jupityjupe
    jupityjupe Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    if you don't feel the intensity or see the change, then you are probably not working hard enough, or lifting enough weight.

if you don't have the money and space for a barbell and plates, look into kettle bells. they are very versatile pieces of equipment and can be used for a lot of upper body work outs.
    [/quote]

I think I agree with you...I just did a new workout I found on youtube entitled advanced full body circuit training workout and it was definately more intense than the one I was doing...I could really feel it working my muscles and I actually had to push myself to complete all the reps of some of the circuits. I didn't get as exhausted as when I'm walking (can't run due to knee injury) 7kph at 10% incline but I still liked it. Plus I know I can make it more difficult by upping the weights I am using.