Eat more protein and less carbs

Options
2»

Replies

• FawnAnnette
    Options
    like those almonds as snacks. How much can you eat and not keep on going?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I've been told to aim for 1g of protein for every 1lb of body weight. I weigh 195 pounds and have found it completely impossible to get in that much protein. Not necessarily trying to lower my carbs...but something has to decrease if I am upping my protein.

My typical day:
    Breakfast - 2 egg white/1 egg omelette w/ 1 piece of whole wheat toast
    Snack - 1/2 cup cottage cheese w/o salt & 1/2 cup pineapple
    Lunch - 1 Romain Heart, tomato, cucumber, 1/2 avocado, 2 egg whites, salad dressing and any other veggies I have and sometimes I add grilled chicken if I have some leftover from dinner
    Snack - Almonds
    Dinner - Ususally some sort of chicken with veggies

Lately I have been eating grapefruit for breakfast with almonds.

Just wondering what other high protein foods people eat.

Eat larger portions. A single egg or two egg whites is a tiny amount of food/ protein so eat up to three eggs or one/ two eggs plus a portion of cottage cheese/ low fat soft cheese, maybe switch your toast out for two or three portions of bright/ dark coloured fruits and vegetables. Really your breakfast and snack would make a decent breakfast together.

You can't just eat protein, water and fibre, you need fat if you are going low carb. I don't see any oily fish, little dairy, nowhere near enough nuts to replace the minerals in wholegrains and pulses. Cottage cheese is much lower in calcium than other forms of dairy - half a cup contains just 7% of your daily requirement according to the Self database! Please research this properly, your sample day looks deficient in a range of nutrients.
  • kmh0617
    kmh0617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Only men trying to gain muscle need to eat 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Women and people who are trying to lose weight should do 0.6-1g per pound of lean body weight.

WRONG!
    Where did you get this information? I Try to eat 40% carbs and 30% each of protein and fat. This comes out to 112g of protein for me daily, or about 1.6g/kg of body weight. It's helping to fuel my weigh lifting and build lean body mass.
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Ive never cut out carbs! Thats soooo overrated!
  • kmh0617
    kmh0617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people say only men trying to bulk up and become body builders have to eat more protein. Bulking up has to do with caloric surplus PLUS protein. If you stay at a deficit and increase your protein it'll do wonders for your body composition. I do 40 protein 30 carbs and 30 fat. When I can't get all the protein in naturally, I also use protein powders and bars. For powder I use 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder- Chocolate. For every scoop, it has 1g of fat, 3 carbs, and 24 g of protein. I put it in a blender with almond milk and a frozen banana and MMMMMM it's awesome after workouts.

Edit- when I say 40 protein, 30 carbs and 30 fat, I mean my macros, obviously. I don't mean that I only eat 40 g of protein and 30 grams of carbs. It ends up being 120g protein, 160 carbs and 53g fat

^^^^^ THIS GIRL'S GOT IT RIGHT!!!
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Only men trying to gain muscle need to eat 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Women and people who are trying to lose weight should do 0.6-1g per pound of lean body weight.

WRONG!
    Where did you get this information? I Try to eat 40% carbs and 30% each of protein and fat. This comes out to 112g of protein for me daily, or about 1.6g/kg of body weight. It's helping to fuel my weigh lifting and build lean body mass.

So you're eating 0.72 grams of protein per pound of body weight or about 1 gram per pound of lean body weight and doing weight training. Where exactly was I wrong in what I said? Women cannot build muscle as quickly as men and therefor have lower optimum protein intakes.
  • BSLugnut
    BSLugnut Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Okay, I have been trying to eat more protein and less carbs and am finding it virtually impossible. I don't eat a lot of bread or grains and never knew that so many fruits and veggies had so many carbs in them.
    That's because the human body is a carb burner, not a protein burner! Unless you are a body builder, or you eat exclusively processed foods, you don't need to worry about increasing your protein. Sufficient amounts of protein are found in fruits and veggies.

Eat all the fruits and veggies you want!!! You will NOT get fat from a variety of high water content, high nutrient content, high fiber content, low calorie density, fruit and veg.

I agree with most of the statement other than "unless you're a body body, you don't need protein"

To put some clarity around that, lean muscle will burn fat, so the more lean muscle you have the more fat you can burn. Lean muscle doesn't have to mean that you look like Betty Pariso! By comparison, you can look at Stacie Tovar or Alessandra Pichelli for a comparison. All 3 have lean muscle!

Keep in mind, you only need to come close to that 1:1 ratio if you are working out hard and at least 5 days a week! As if you taking in 100g of protein and are sedentary, you will pack on fat.

And that you body can only process 70% of your protein intake.

Like you, I have decreased my carbs intake and it changes every few days all the while intaking 200g of protein a day. I do this for my training for Spartan Races.

Like others have mentioned, you may need to supplement you protein intake with lean whey protein powders. I use the Wilderness Athlete brand, as it only has 4g of carbs and 20g of protein.

I eat a lot of tuna, salmon, chicken, venison and at least 4 eggs a day. I drink a protein shake at least 3 of my 6 meals a day.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    protein supplements
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    Don't get too carried away with the logic of "protein = good, carbs = bad" or you'll drive yourself crazy. Keep eating your fruits and veggies - they're great for you!

That being said, I usually eat a quest bar at some point during the day, almost every day. Most of them pack about 20g of protein, less than 3g net carbs, and hover between 170-210 calories (depending on the flavor). I think they're pretty tasty, and they are a really fulfilling snack considering the low amount of calories.

I also try not to make a meal out of just fruits and veggies - everything I eat I try to incorporate a protein source. Maybe that'll help?