squats and leg press--need a frame of reference

Options
OK, so I started barbell squats and leg press 4-6 weeks ago, and I think I am doing really well...but I feel like I need some frame of reference.

I'm just under 5'2" tall, almost 38 years old, and still 50-60lbs overweight.

I started squatting at 60lbs...and now I am squatting 90lbs

I started leg pressing at about 208lbs, and the other day I did 233 lbs

what are the other ladies doing?

Replies

• a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I started seriously squatting 6/7 weeks ago. I started with the oly bar and today I did 95x5x5, if that helps. I don't do leg presses.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I started squatting with heavy weight in the beginning of October. I can squat 100lbs, 10rx3. I don't do leg presses either.

for point of reference I guess I am 5'6", 184pounds and almost 38yo.
  • SweatSuit
    Options
    I'm 5'0. Started lifting probably 2 months ago, squatting about a month ago. I started off just with bar, now I can put two 10lbs on each side, and I can leg press 210, started on 130.
    Urg, form for short people sucks eh?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I haven't done leg press since I quit the gym in June, but my max was 280 lbs. I was about 130 lbs at the time. I should tag along with a friend sometime just to see what I can do now. :smile:

I'm squatting 150 lbs in week 11 of Stronglifts. I started SL at 45 lbs.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody!

my goal is to be able to squat 100lbs by Christmas. The trainer says he thinks I can do it...and I think I can too!
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    I'm 5'0. Started lifting probably 2 months ago, squatting about a month ago. I started off just with bar, now I can put two 10lbs on each side, and I can leg press 210, started on 130.
    Urg, form for short people sucks eh?

the suckiest thing is that nothing is built for us. Friday some meat head left the bar on the smith machine above my head...I had to stand on tip toes to get it down! I'm kinda digging free weights since they aren't built for any specific height.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I'm a dude and have no real point of reference, but thought I would butt in just a bit and reassure anyone doing both squat and leg press to not be alarmed about a leg press being well ahead of squat - I have never one rep maxed on squat or leg press but my 12 rep max on leg press is slightly under 3x my 12 rep max on squat.

Speaking of short, my legs are relatively short so I have a hell of a time unracking the leg press at my gym!
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I am a leg workout-aholic!! :) Im 5'2" and 112lb's. On a normal leg workout day i will squat 165lb's and when i really want a hard workout i squat approx 210lbs. i work up to it with each set and do 2 sets of 10 at the heaviest weight.
    When i leg press i start my first set of 10 at 550lbs and add weight on until i get to my max of 770lbs.

I dont think im normal however... :P
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Wife is 5'3
    Started squatting 45lbs.
    Squatted 190lbs in about 3 months.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    I am a leg workout-aholic!! :) Im 5'2" and 112lb's. On a normal leg workout day i will squat 165lb's and when i really want a hard workout i squat approx 210lbs. i work up to it with each set and do 2 sets of 10 at the heaviest weight.
    When i leg press i start my first set of 10 at 550lbs and add weight on until i get to my max of 770lbs.

DAAAAAANNNG! How long have you been squatting and leg pressing? I have only been leg pressing a few months and I pretty much started at over 200lbs ( heck, the empty press is 118lbs). I have only been squatting like 4-6 weeks, and I started at 60lbs.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    I'm a dude and have no real point of reference, but thought I would butt in just a bit and reassure anyone doing both squat and leg press to not be alarmed about a leg press being well ahead of squat - I have never one rep maxed on squat or leg press but my 12 rep max on leg press is slightly under 3x my 12 rep max on squat.

Speaking of short, my legs are relatively short so I have a hell of a time unracking the leg press at my gym!

LOL!! I feel ya. The trainer got a good chuckle the day I asked him to help me squat. Without thinking about it he pulled the bar on the smith machine up to a good height for him, looked over, and it was eyebrow height on me. I just laughed and told him it might need to be lowered since I am "only 3 feet tall".

And if I was any shorter, I would have trouble too. The low bar on the leg press is chest high for me, the high bar gets difficult ( if someone leaves it loaded) but I can do it. Being a short girl, I have no issue asking for help...
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options

DAAAAAANNNG! How long have you been squatting and leg pressing? I have only been leg pressing a few months and I pretty much started at over 200lbs ( heck, the empty press is 118lbs). I have only been squatting like 4-6 weeks, and I started at 60lbs.

umm probably about a year properly. before that i did body weight squats and used some 10kg dumbbells but once i realised how strong i actually was and how much weight i needed to be using to challenge my legs i got a little bit addicted to it :P My partner thinks its absolutely halirious that i can out-press most grown men. sure does give a nice wee ego boost :D