Running w/ or w/out an ipod?

Options
I just finished the Couch2 5K running program. It went really well. I started the program by carring a timer and timing out the intervals. Then I found some podcast that tell you what to do-heaven! No more thinking about how many minutes left subtracting and trying to run at the same time. It worked great. I now am outrunning the 30 minute limit so I hae just ran through the cool down and then walked to something else. No biggie. Today however, the ipod wasn't working for whatever reason so I ran without it. I cut 2 minutes off my time. I ran 3.4 in 36 minutes.The question is was it because I didn't run yesterday, the weather was cooler, I have been lazy today (it is Saturday), or because I didn't run with an ipod? Has anyone else found they can run faster without listening to something?

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I run faster but I sure quit sooner! I need my ipod! :tongue: :laugh:
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I don't run with an ipod (don't have one) But my guess would be when you are listening to music, your body auto adapts to the the rhythm and you pace yourself with the beat. I sing to myself when I am running, kind of like a military type chant sometimes, and it helps to keep me in pace with where my heart rate should be. Just a thought. Try faster music, like Latin or Salsa, and see if you run faster than you did with your other music. Either way, congrats on finishing the Couch2 5K! I just finished week 4 and am so looking forward to being able to run the 5K my sister signed me up for at the end April (happens to fall on the last night of the program...)
  • mhesterruns
    Options
    I did start out counting 1-8 as I ran. The songs on the podcast were not ones I would have picked so maybe if I just did a mix of my favs it would go better.
    I plan to try it again tomorrow without the ipod (it is my daughter's BTW:smile: ) Just as my own little experiment.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I ran a marathon last year using pacemusic from podrunner. Google it-I think it's podrunner.com, but I ran the marathon in 4:13. It comes out to be a 9:39 on the splits. I swear I never would have been able to do it without that music. It also has interval training there somewhere I think, so check it out.
  • littlelisa24
    Options
    Is pod runner like techno stuff or is it pretty decent music? I can't run with out music, unless i'm running with a friend.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I find myself running to the beat of the songs on my music player. When I don't run with music, I usually have something stuck in my head (once it was "Old MacDonald". LOL I actually think I'm a bit faster without the music.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I also find that I run faster when I don't use the ipod. I think it is because I focus more on my running. I have a hard time keeping myself from being lonely when I run for 1.5 hrs but I think I will stop running with music. It is also safer for women to run without music.

Great job on finishing the C25K program.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I always run with my iPod. However, I was reading an article in Runner's World magazine the other day and the author suggests that 1/3 to 1/4 of your runs be done without music. Apparently, if you get too used to the music, your body adapts to it and it is less effective.

Run on!