Going for 2nd base and tumbling in total humiliation :(

Options
Jeremy Brown, the 240 pound minor league catcher is afraid to go for a double. Even when he has a good shot of making it to 2nd base he pulls up and settles for the single for the fear of getting thrown out at second and how he might be humiliated in front of a huge crowd of people and his piers in the process.

But today he decides to take a chance. He rounds first base and his worst fears are realized. He takes a tumble and rolls around several times before stopping and frantically claws toward first base on all fours in total humiliation. As he reaches first on all fours he is informed that he has actually hit a home run!

I saw this scene in the movie for Moneyball today. It made me think of all the people here at MFP. Many of us have the same fears that Jeremy Brown has. But if you have not given up, If you are still logging, still exercising. still setting goals, still striving… YOU HAVE HIT THE HOME RUN ALREADY AND JUST HAVE NOT REALIZED IT YET.

In fact, many of us have rounded first tumbled and actually been called out in humiliation. Over and over again (i.e.- not stuck to our plan). Or many of us might be feeling down after a bad day/week/month.year/lifetime. Or some of us might be discouraged who are on a plateau and the weight is not coming off. Or perhaps you are feeling discouraged for not really being able to stick to a weight loss plan and not really losing any or much weight for quite awhile. BUT I STILL SAY YOU HAVE ALREADY HIT THE HOME RUN IF YOU ARE STILL LOGGING. STILL EXERCISING. STILL SETTING GOALS. STILL STRIVING. IF YOU HAVE NOT GIVEN UP AND ARE STILL HERE YOU DOING THE DAILY “GRIND” OF BEING HONEST WITH YOURSELF AND ENTERING ALL YOUR FOOD AND EXERCISE YOU HAVE ALREADY HIT THE HOME RUN AND DON’T EVEN REALIZE IT.

Replies

• wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Ok...not what I thought this was going to be about at all! ;-)

Great analogy though my friend! Keep on rocking it! :-)
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Yes, just talking it one day at a time. :) We both keep hitting home runs and don't even realize it a lot of the time. You are doing great my friend!