Sushi

Options
I'm not entirely sure if this comes under Recipes or this topic, but I decided to post it here anyway.
I was wondering if anyone else made sushi at home, and if so if you had any tips or recommendations for what fillings to use.
I just made a batch with chicken, shallots, carrots, cuccumber and capscium. But I was interested in a more 'fun' side of sushi. Crazy whacky experiments you've done with that turned out good.
Thanks,
Lauren.

Replies

• cmnkyrun16
    Options
    It's been a while, but I used some good ol' tuna canned in water. I browned it on the stove first, but I can imagine right out of the can was fantastic. Also, I'm a sucker for cream cheese, and healthier way to do that is nufetchel (sp?) cheese. Cucumbers stored in white vinegar are yummy, too. Even by themselves. =)
  • cmnkyrun16
    Options
    Clarifying -- not pickles, but marinated cucumbers. Like, for an hour or so.
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    last sushi party we had with friends, the most unique one made was a dessert roll. strawberries, blueberries, bananas & some balsamic vinegar- and it was tasty.

otherwise ours are fairly normal ingredients & results. tuna, salmon, shrimp, crab, teriyaki chicken, cucumber, carrot, avocado, cream cheese, tamago, tobiko, ikura, sesame seeds, wasabi.
  • quickchica
    Options
    I just started making sushi at home.....so easy! My friend introduced me to this whole new world! Try to find your nearest 'japan town' market. I live in CA and there is a chain named 'Nijiya Market'. You can purchase sashimi grade fish...tuna, salmon, yellowtail, blue fin tuna, cooked crab, etc. Also, masago eggs and other exotic stuff. I asked a couple of people at the store which rice to buy and quality of the fish. It is totally awesome, I spent $40 on the first trip and my guy loved it! I'm not a great chef, but this was really easy. The rice package had a recipe for making sushi rice, the fish is low calorie. You can add sliced cucumber, gobo (an orange colored root), avocado. I like to add finely sliced lemon wedges to my sushi, like salmon. It is limitless, to what you can create! And it's LOW CALORIE, just be careful with the rice portions. Sesame seeds are great too, but watch this one is high in fat. You can also buy seared ahi tuna, this is great with ponzu sauce, kinda like soy sauce. I hope this helps. There always the pre-made sushi with is about $6 a roll, I had the spicy tuna and spicy salmon....sooo good. A customer suggested for the fish to be rinsed and towel blot before preparing. Have fun!
  • jadeband
    jadeband Posts: 3
    Options
    sun dried tomato, lettuce, danish fetta and avocado. Seems like a weird combo, but it works!