PCOS girls

Options
to all the PCOSers out there...if you're succeeding at weight loss and a healthy lifestyle, please share with me your tips and tricks that have helped you along the way. thanks!
also, please add me...I'm always looking for new friends to support and have support me :)

Replies

• sallyann123
    sallyann123 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have been having a very difficult time but for the past few weeks I decided to go completely into healthy mode. I have completely cut out all grains other than quinoa. not even any brown anything! I basically have been eating fruits, veggies and lean protein. no dairy. (for its inflammatory side effects) I try to drink lots of water and eat small amounts often, I also try to keep Glycemic Index numbers in my head while deciding which fruits to eat etc. I went down five lbs within a week but part of my PCOS issues (i think!) is that I fluctuate rapidly. I stopped going on the scale and looking at my face-where it shows the fastest and I am definately going down the right path. before this i thought there was no hope! i cld go for months literally and barely lose a thing. I lost 8 lbs in three months and gave up because i wasnt seeing any progress. I hope to start exercising but im a student and its finals time so not until after...oh i also take 1500 mg ER metformin. which btw didnt do a thing for me until i switched to extended release (ER) and now i feel like my periods may be getting more on track! just a small NSV when i had ONE bight of bread yesterday I felt so sick! my body has gotten to the pt now it knows the difference while before i was eating so much crap my body didnt even feel bad!
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I am going to write a drastically different post than I would have written about three months ago.

In the past, what worked for me to lose weight and get in shape was focusing on low glycemic index foods and avoid dairy. I am certain that doing this makes it more likely for PCOSers to lose weight.

HOWEVER. This time around, I really haven't had the motivation to do that, and I've really been focusing on calories in, calories out. And I try to put a lot of calories out so I can take in what I want. ;) So it's not a ton, but for a mom working a sedentary job, I figure burning 2000 calories a week is pretty decent. I run and lift and do random other cardio here and there. I think exercise is fabulous for PCOSers.

I try to hit a good protein total, which means I end up eating fewer carbs than I might otherwise, but I'm definitely looking at upping the protein rather than managing specific carbs.

And it's working. :) I've lost almost a pound a week since August, though not consistently - I've had long plateaus here and there with sudden drops. That's life.

I guess I may be lucky because other PCOSers do seem to need to go low glycemic index. But it might be worth a try to just get a decent amount of exercise and eat at a nice but sensible deficit. I set my calories at around 80% of my sedentary TDEE and then eat back all my exercise calories. I also have a day once a week or so when I just have whatever I want and forget about tracking. AND if I go over I don't sweat it.

I think for me, being able to do this as "normally" as possible has been important this time around. Plus I really love dairy and white potatoes. ;)

I agree that PCOS makes fluctuations even more extreme than they are for the general population. For that reason, I weigh myself daily and have conditioned myself to just know that if I see my weight go up four pounds, it doesn't mean I've truly *gained* anything. My concern with weekly weighing is that if I hit the wrong day, my weight could look like it's way up even though it's not, and that would be depressing and demotivating, and I wouldn't be able to wait until the next week to find out what is really up. I feel like for me it needs to be either daily or monthly, and I really like the constant feedback of daily. I just generally track a new low weight when it seems I've hit it for real a few days in a week.

Good luck!
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    Also, do any of you guys get discouraged looking at yourself? I tend to bloat a lot. It looks like I gain ten lbs, lose ten lbs, some days I have a double chin and some days my face looks nice and skinny. It's really discouraging.

I've lost about 20 lbs on a lower calorie diet... but I've upped my calories because I'm trying to do it the healthy way. But... that doesn't seem to help as much.

But that's the way I'm going to do it whether I like it or not.

I know eating a lot of fiber has really helped me on bloating.

I don't know what works for me. I really don't. It sucks. I also have my gallbladder out so a lot of fatty foods upset my stomach as does bread. I'm thinking of trying paleo but I don't find that to be very sustainable for me since I love carbs... but I might have to make sacrifices...
  • hrls83
    hrls83 Posts: 46
    Options
    I just recently lowered my carbs drastically from 150+ down to 30. I dont work outside my home and have not quite gotten in a regular exercise routine so I limit my calories to 1200 a day. it is still a work in progress for me but I already feel better after just 4 days. I just told my husband that even though the # on the scale is the same and my inches the same i actually feel slimmer. It might be all the water ive been drinking lately instead of all the diet soda, or it might be the cut down on carbs.... who knows.

I try to focus on eating mostly whole foods and cut out all fast foods and heavily processed foods too! the drs tried putting me on metformin but I cant take how sick it makes me...
  • soonpass
    soonpass Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I dont have time to write a long post but I wanted to thank ou for posting! Also I will be adding you other ladies that posted since we suffer from the same thing. Besides the last week ( I was out of town and now I am PMSing) I have been maintaing a diet low in processed foods, trying to limit wheat/gluten and up my veggies. Most importantly staying under my cal count is what has truly worked. I work out 6 days a week. 2 of those days for 2 hrs. I've lost a total of 25lbs, 16 of which I lost back in March and a whopping 9 just since beg of November using my decent cal/6 day workout plan. I would love to see your logs, receive your praises and positive critism where applicable!
  • soonpass
    Options
    Also, do any of you guys get discouraged looking at yourself? I tend to bloat a lot. It looks like I gain ten lbs, lose ten lbs, some days I have a double chin and some days my face looks nice and skinny. It's really discouraging.

I understand your pain :-( I have 2 babies and that doesn't help the situation. I am getting a tummy tuck though after I lose my weight.... that is the only thing helping me stay positive!
  • soonpass
    Options

I try to focus on eating mostly whole foods and cut out all fast foods and heavily processed foods too! the drs tried putting me on metformin but I cant take how sick it makes me...

Met makes me so sick too :-(. But PCOS symptoms subside with weightloss anyway so we should be fine in the long run
  • hrls83
    Options

Met makes me so sick too :-(. But PCOS symptoms subside with weightloss anyway so we should be fine in the long run

I am not diabetic but I check my sugars a few times a week and they seem to have become more stable and steady since low carbing. I dont want to become a diabetic, it runs in both sides of my family though so I really have to watch out! I am determined to kick PCOS in the *kitten*!!!
  • tyraskanks_
    Options

I am not diabetic but I check my sugars a few times a week and they seem to have become more stable and steady since low carbing. I dont want to become a diabetic, it runs in both sides of my family though so I really have to watch out! I am determined to kick PCOS in the *kitten*!!!

My goal in life is to not become a diabetic! Ugh. I gained a lot of weight my freshman year of college, too. I went from 180 two years ago (senior in high school) to 242 at my heaviest. It sucks because I didn't eat THAT unhealthy. I think it was all the processed foods at the college.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I have lost about 50 lbs since January just counting calories and going to the gym 2 or 3 times a week. I haven't really been paying much attention to carbs and sugar but I'm going to start since the weight loss has slowed down a LOT.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I started this round of weight loss different in that I started with the gym as a way to get back into a shape other than "round" as I would say. Before I would always cut calories, but once I got lax on it, the weight would be back on within a few months. So I'm taking it slow and it seems to be good for me. I am currently in the gym 5-6 days a week and trying to come in at about 1500 cal/day with a 500 cal/day deficit. I tried the 1200 route a few times, but felt like my blood sugars were getting too low so I think 1500+ is best for me. I do some lifting (it is a cardio style lifting class) twice a week, and 3 days of cardio (running and the spinning bike), and then just added a day of yoga. In January I am switching to a 6 day a week lifting program in the hopes of firming up and burning off the last of the stubborn stomach fat while gaining strength and power. I am also paying attention to my macro breakdown and strive for a 20/30/50 - 25/35/40 fat/protein/carb ratio and eating 5 times a day (once every 3 hours or so).
  • hrls83
    Options

My goal in life is to not become a diabetic! Ugh. I gained a lot of weight my freshman year of college, too. I went from 180 two years ago (senior in high school) to 242 at my heaviest. It sucks because I didn't eat THAT unhealthy. I think it was all the processed foods at the college.

me too! Last year I went down from 230 to 165 (not really in a healthy way though I was going through a divorce and pretty much stopped eating) once my life stabled out I gained 30lbs back and now im kinckig myself fot it! all my medical results last summer were PERFECT. ugh.
  • sallyann123
    sallyann123 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    metformin made me so sick and i was scared to take it on days that i knew i didnt have time to spend in the bathroom or in a situation i couldnt run to one nearby...wen i told my doc about this she immediately said I should try the Extended release (ER) and another perk is i can take all three at once at dinner time and i have not had ANY stomach issues! try it!!
  • Apix
    Apix Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have recently discovered I have PCOS and trying to figure out how to deal with it. I have lost 25 lbs in the last year, so slowly it frustrated me to no end. Now that I know a little bit more about PCOS it seems I'm pretty fortunate to have lost this much. I am trying to configure my diet as I have tried everything from low carb to no dairy, meat and veggies only and have seen the same results for most diets. I am going to the Dr. later this month for help, what should I be asking about Metformin? What does it do and has anyone NOT been made sick from it?
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    I think I'm one of the lucky ones that take Metformin and don't get sick.
  • hrls83
    Options
    you are pretty much guaranteed to get sick from it, most people I know have. from what they say is after a week or so your suppose to get use to it and not get sick but i give up taking it after a few days. I have been on the regular and the extended release and they both killed me so i decided to go the natural route. lower my carbs, and take cinnamon. so far its working for me when it comes to my blood sugars.

as for infertility and cycles. mine are incredibly normal but im still unable to get preggo.... we just dont have the $$ right now to dig deeper into it to find out more
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I have it. I don't do low carb, but I try to be smart about avoiding most empty carbs (I eat some to keep my sanity, but not a lot!). I'm eating 1700 calories a day and lost about 120 pounds with just walking as exercise. I added Jillian Michaels Body Revolution about 2 months ago. My weight loss has slowed, but I'm so much better off than I was, that I'm trying to take the slow down in stride!

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • kfender516
    kfender516 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is a new metformin medication called Glumetza that eliminates most of the stomach issues as well. Saved my life.
  • kfender516
    kfender516 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Apix, Metformin basically makes you need to be near a bathroom at all times.....until Glumetza. Its a new type of Glucophage (metformin) that doesnt have all the horrid side effects. It increased my blood pressure at the start of taking it a bit, and my hands were swelling, but it all got better......I now have a life again bc of it!!! Ask the Dr. about it.
  • misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yup Yup... I have PCOS too and I've lost a total of about 30 lbs this year. I pay attention to calories in/out and my protein intake. I workout usually 5 days a week (cardio/weights). I've not been able to workout much in the last 2 weeks because I've had a terrible cold! It won't go away! I also started taking Metformin, on day 3 now. I notice a slight stomach ache, but no other signs of sickness from it.
    Anyone may feel free to add me! Good Luck Everyone!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!