Gym Time

Options
So, I finally talked my hubby into getting a family membership to a gym. We chose the Y because it has activities that our 4y/o son can participate in as well. I have a good chunk of weight to loose and my husband well all he needs to do is lose ten lbs and tone up for a firefighter training test. I ,however, would liek to know what all ic an do to help me... yesI know cardio...lots of cardio and healthy eating....but I also want to hit weights or resistance because muscles burns more fat! I'd like to tone my arms a bit, my tummy, and my rump....suggestions please!!!

-Thanks-
MommaSpunk

Replies

• m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    I teach group exercise classes at the Y and before I did that I took classes at the Y. Look for a good strength training class at your facility (That is what I teach and take.) This will give you all of the basics you need to learn how to strength train with free weights. It is like having a personal trainer but not paying for one! I also teach and love indoor cycling (spinning) it is a fantastic cardio workout and super motivating.
  • MommaSpunk
    Options
    Thank you so much... I want to try spin but I am sooo afraid of it because I am sooo out of shape!!!
  • MommaSpunk
    Options
    Plus, I feel like I will be laughed at!!
  • Leguman
    Options
    You need to realize that muscle does not "burn" more calories than fat does (weird isn'it... fat cells are quite metabolicaly active). BUT, weight training does help with losing weight (in short, it has to do with your body trying to repair those muscle and the hormonal response to weight lifting). Cardio also help burn calories. But all of this will only work if you eat less calories than your body burns, so gotta keep your food intake in check!
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I do spin and love it! Try it - I was scared at first too but it was great. I also do BodyPump (it's a strenght/weight lifting class) which is great! I highly recommend something like that!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much... I want to try spin but I am sooo afraid of it because I am sooo out of shape!!!

Try it!!! It will seriously get you into shape. But, it's also a great class to take as a beginner because you are in control of your own resistance. The instructor will tell you turn it up/down/etc, but each individual controls just how much so you get a challenge that is right for you. And even better..... nobody else knows. Not that anyone cares because everyone is so focused on just trying to get through their own workout. And the best part, the lights are off! Again not that it matters, because I guarantee nobody is looking at anyone else, but there is something comforting about thinking that it's dark and therefore nobody can see you.
    Get there a little early, introduce yourself to the instructor, let him/her know that you are new, and he/she will help you get set up.
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options

Dont be afraid, work at your own pace if you have to slow down do it. Make your goal just to stay on the bike the whole class not necessarily do the entire work out, just simply stay on the bike. Remember everyone in the class including the instructor was a beginner at one time or another. Many of them have started where you are at "out of shape." Spinning is one of the best, low impact, cardiovascular exercises you can do.

Here are some tips: Take water and a towel with you. You will need it! Go early and tell the instructor you are new and would like help setting up the bike. Bike setup is as important as the work out itself because if it is not set up properly it can hurt your knees. The flywheel (wheel that you spin) is about 40 LBS and if your knees are not in the right place it can hurt them. Remember that resistance is your friend. Without it the flywheel will be jerking your legs around again causing damage to your knees. When sprinting don't let your butt bounce in the seat stay in control the whole time. If you find you are bouncing turn your resistance up (this is my biggest pet peeve as an instructor.) I am constantly screaming "turn up your resistance, no bouncing in the seat, stay in control of your legs etc" when my class is sprinting. You may want to buy a gel because the seats can be hard on your butt or they may have one you can borrow at the gym. Even with the gel seat your butt will be sore after the first few classes. My advice is stick with it after a week or two the nerve endings in you posterior will receed and you won't feel tender anymore.

As for body position on the bike, When pedaling try not to point your toes down and do not let your legs flare out or in. Keep you abs tight and engaged this will help protect your lower back. Be easy on your arms. Do not flare your elbows out or in keep them slightly bent and do not lock out your elbows. Relax your shoulders. I see alot of new people drawing their shoulders up to their ears this leads to tension in the neck and shoulders. Relax on the bike. Take frequent water breaks this will help you to relax your body without thinking about it.

I truly love spinning. I will warn you it can be addicting and it is definately fun. It is also a fantastic calorie burn! If you have any quesions feel free to PM me.
  • MommaSpunk
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Love my Y. It is a true "no judgment zone." All shapes and sizes. Wide age range. My daughter loves swimming laps with me. My wife takes a water workout class. My son loves the weight room and the basketball courts.