GUYS ONLY Do you take fitness classes

Options
If so which ones do you take? I am just about to join a gym. i have been checking out the local ones and don't see many guys in the classes. Any help here is appreciated.

Replies

• ryanherbert
    ryanherbert Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yep absolutely, there's plenty of guys in classes at my gym. I teach RPM (cycling) but I am also a regular attendee at Zuu (high intensity bodyweight) and boxing/kickboxing classes at my local gym.
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I know you said "guys only," but I'm responding for my husband who does attend some fitness classes. He has enjoyed cardio kickboxing and spinning classes. I have to admit though, he is often the only male in the class. Maybe if you take a friend with you it would be more comfortable? Hope you get some response from some guys...hang in there. You're doing what you need to do and that's what really matters.
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I take Jazercise 3X week. Often I'm the only dude in the class, but I've never been made to feel unwelcome, though part of that may be that I used to teach Jazzercise and am simply used to jumping around in front of women as I wear tight clothing...
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I try to do a spin class at least once a week and every other week will do a kick boxing class as well.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If so which ones do you take? I am just about to join a gym. i have been checking out the local ones and don't see many guys in the classes. Any help here is appreciated.

"Guys Only" well I'm not a guy, however, I have seen guys at my gym take classes. In the Body Works Plus Abs at my gym there is a guy who shows up every day.

Sometimes the classes give you a better overall workout than if you moved machine to machine.

The cycling class is always packed, male or female.

Good luck. :)
  • dsmrunner
    dsmrunner Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I take classes at our gyms at work - we have about 5000 employees at our location, so it's not a small place. About 70% of the employees are women so it's not a representative population. But not a bad deal if you're a guy.

Anyway I attend bootcamp and spin classes ... both are about 1/3 males, sometimes less. I've been in classes where I'm the only guy ... I don't know what the women think about that, but no one seems to care. I don't.

One thing I've noticed at our place is that most of the men hang out in the weight room or are on the treadmills, and they don't take classes. Your mileage may vary.

Are you trying to avoid the guys, or why do you ask? Just curious.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    My cycle class is pretty even split of men and women....

Yoga on the other hand is a different story... I'm often the only man in there.. it was awkward at first, but now all of the instructors and most of the "regulars" know me so it's not bad anymore...
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    No I do not. I just lift.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I take classes at our gyms at work - we have about 5000 employees at our location, so it's not a small place. About 70% of the employees are women so it's not a representative population. But not a bad deal if you're a guy.

Anyway I attend bootcamp and spin classes ... both are about 1/3 males, sometimes less. I've been in classes where I'm the only guy ... I don't know what the women think about that, but no one seems to care. I don't.

One thing I've noticed at our place is that most of the men hang out in the weight room or are on the treadmills, and they don't take classes. Your mileage may vary.

Not sure that I want to be the only guy in the class. If I am, then I will join a cheaper gym, one that does not offer classes.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I like spinning (exercise bike) class, and there are usually other guys in there, too.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Not sure that I want to be the only guy in the class. If I am, then I will join a cheaper gym, one that does not offer classes.

Why would you choose to go to a gym that didn't offer classes if you were the only male in a class?

Women have the same issues, only with other women.

I have no fear or pause when it comes to seeing a man in a class with me.

Fit women, internally I fall to pieces. But they are there for the same reason you would be, to get fit or stay fit.

Everyone in a gym has the same common goal. To achieve their goal they set or to keep the goal they set.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I might have to start taking these classes
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Well I instruct, so yes. But the main reason guys don't take many fitness is classes is because many require coordination movements and many guys aren't very good at choreographed movements. Also in many lifting classes, the weights are too light to use. 15lbs dumbells seem to be the highest weight and even if you loaded up one of the "power" barbells, you may just hit 40lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I would but my travel schedule is kind of crazy.
    Classes provide good work on equilibrium, coordination and "strength in action".

Yoga, spin, gymnastics, dance are all classes I've taken in the past.
    I'd really like to find a parkour/gymnastic class but there isn't much in my area for adults and my schedule.

Whether I'm the only guy or one of many there doesn't matter. I'm there to enjoy the class and work my *kitten* off.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I do cardio and lift weights. In the past my favorite form of cardio was jogging. 4-5x a week. However I started getting pain in my right ankle. I thought initially I sprained it but when it got worse over time I saw a doctor and found out I had tiny broken bits inside along with osteoarthritis. I got a steroid shot and it made the pain go away almost completely however, I needed to dial back the jogging to now 1-2x a week. I also swim laps in the pool, ride the exercise bike but it gets boring after a while and I really missed jogging.
    Well I instruct, so yes. But the main reason guys don't take many fitness is classes is because many require coordination movements and many guys are very good at choreographed movements.

This is true. Walking to the pool one day after lifting at my YMCA, I saw a Zumba class going on. I joined and found out I enjoy it, even though I look like a drunk, stoned monkey 90% of the time. I get my cardio done, it's easy on my bad ankles, and I have fun. I don't care if I am the only guy in a class of 25-30 women. I do notice on occasion a lot of people passing by the class doing double takes and some times I get stares from the other women in there. Like I'm some sorta of creeper trying to get cheap thrills or something. ( and yes, I do notice the sexy swaying of the female body, I'm not blind :laugh: )

I've been going for over a year now 2x a week. One time I got approached by one of the regulars and she said she was proud of me. I asked her why and she said many of the other girls in the class were placing bets as to how long I'd last. Most thought I wouldn't last more than 2 weeks. I had no idea that they were talking about me behind me back but, it did kinda make me feel warm and fuzzy. :smooched: I also recently been doing a RIPPED classes too after one of the female instructors saw me in Zumba class and invited me to try it out. It's a hard class that's also primarily women in it. It kicks my *kitten* and I like the challenge I get from it so I keep going.
  • naveed1naveed
    Options
    I followed basic yoga classes 6 years ago, and it helps. Group lessons are wonderful, I was able to share my progress with them, talk to them, how/what they feel about the class. and later I always got some extra time from trainer for personal guideline.
    I still follow the rules and sometime I mix up yoga with regular stretching.
  • lauren_gibbons
    lauren_gibbons Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I attend many different classes at my gym.
    Generally in spin classes there re quite a few men, possible 60% female to 40% male
    Also Circuit training there are more males than females and finally body pump which was pretty similar to the spin ratio.
    Why not ask for a one week pass so you can try out the gym and see for yourself.
    As per the responses you have had it seems to depend on the gym.
    Good luck
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I attend many different classes at my gym.
    Generally in spin classes there re quite a few men, possible 60% female to 40% male
    Also Circuit training there are more males than females and finally body pump which was pretty similar to the spin ratio.
    Why not ask for a one week pass so you can try out the gym and see for yourself.
    As per the responses you have had it seems to depend on the gym.
    Good luck

I am going to the gym (YMCA) now on a free one week pass. This is the reason that I posed the question. I guess my next step is to get another pass to another local gym and see what is going on there.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I've seen guys in yoga, Bodypump, body combat, and rpm. Oh, and body attack. There are more women, but there are men.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. Since most exercise classes skew female and I am single & looking for women, it is only natural that I put myself in a situation like that. Much better than a noisy bar.

I have taken a bootcamp class and a Power Body Sculpt class, which is a low impact class (essentially bootcamp light).

Both have enhanced my overall physical fitness.