Staying on Track on Cruise?

Options
Hey there! I'm going on a Carnival cruise next Saturday, and I want to know how to keep on track while I'm there. I can't work out, as I'm recovering from an eating disorder and amnot allowed to exercise heavily for the next 3 months. I am not the best with self-control, and am nervous about the buffets. Can someone give me some tips, or some 'safe options' to go for at the breakfast and lunch buffets? I am having a dinner at the sit down restaurants each night we are there, so that's not a problem.

Replies

• 13turtles
    13turtles Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Here's my two cents for what it is worth...

Breakfast: Focus on Protein
    Eggs, Beans, Turkey Sausage, and Fresh Fruit with Cottage Cheese, or oatmeal
    Avoid any casserole dishes, sauces, cereals, or pancakes and waffle type items.

Lunch:
    Try to find simply prepared foods, eat broth based soups, and a small main dish. Also, check the other non-buffet areas for lunch. I know that some ships have added healthy menu options in the other restaurants. There should be a healthy options section at each of the areas to show you the better, lower calorie meals.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Been on a few cruises and didn't gain an ounce on one.. the food was awful..

A couples idea would be don't eat at the buffet for dinner..go to the dinning room. Also don't take the elevators, use the stairs...there are tons of them.

If you do eat at the buffet, make your plate and leave the area so the food is out of sight. You can also order room service and have it delivered. if I remember, it is free for the room service too..

They will offer lots of fruits and salads so you can eat those.. Just stop eating when your full..the food will be there for entire cruise..
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    I was on a Carnival Cruise about 15 years ago and I remember the food being awful and getting seasick. So, probably didn't gain anything.
  • USMC1968
    USMC1968 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Don't worry... be happy... Enjoy...
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you are on a cruise, enjoy yourself and don't spend your time, that was intended for relaxation, stressing about food.

I would, however, make it a point to focus on energizing foods. If you want to enjoy your time, focus on the foods that will give you the energy to enjoy your time, and avoid the foods that will make you feel lethargic. There is bound to be fruit of some type at any buffet, and there will probably be a salad bar, so you can have your choice of toppings. Avoid the greasy things and high glycemic foods, not because of calories, but because of the low energy feeling you can have afterwards. Why spend your trip tired?
  • Cant0na
    Options
    I haven't been on a carnival cruise but all the ones I have been on the food has been great.
    I would forget about the weight loss and enjoy
    There is always the onboard gym if you are really worried, have a blast!
  • 1Clueless1
    Options
    Was on a cruise a few years ago and the food was great. Our cruise always had fresh fruit and salad bars all over for your snacking pleasure. If that's the case fill up on that before you go for the main course. Just have fun.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Did any of those who have responded to the OP really read her post and think about what she was saying? I don't think so.
    * She has an ED that she is in the beginning of stages from recovering from. If that photo is here, she looks severely underweight.
    * The fact that she is ordered to not exercise for three months confirms that she probably needs to be gaining some weight for health reasons.
    * She does not need to watch what she eats, take the stairs, exercise in the ship's gym, or focus on foods that will help her maintain her weight.

OP, please enjoy the food on the cruise, relax, and use this as a time to learn to focus on your health and not a number on the scale. Beyond that, I don't think any of us are qualified to help you. Please do what your medical team has recommended.