TTC and weight loss/exercise

Options
I had my first born 21 months ago. I was a bit overweight when I conceived him. Probably about 5-8 lbs over weight. I had him. Healthy baby. Life was good and I was never able to lose the baby weight. So now I am 15 lbs overweight and want to have another kid. My question is, is it okay to workout as hard as I am right now when I am trying to have another baby. I run anywhere from 3-20 miles a week, lots of HIIT. I lift.. not as heavey but okayish. Just when my son turned 18 months I realized I had to do something about my weight before he turns 2. Obviously I am still struggling to lose weight but I feel that now is the right time to have another one..

1. How much and how hard can I workout while TTC and being pregnant? I am afraid of miscarriage.

2. I want to workout till the very end of my pregnancy so that I am not out of habit and able to lose weight after I deliever. Can I workout all through my pregnancy?

3. I am really enjoying working out and watching my diet.. but... too bad :( .. Is it okay to LOSE weight while being pregnant. I am also scared of having gestational diabetes. Diabetes runs in my family.

I would like to hear opinions and experiences of moms that were/are in the same position.

Replies

• newata
    newata Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever been pregnant, and I'm not a doctor but I imagine working out is ok as long as you are pushing yourself too hard, maybe switch to walking/light jogging and i'd quit the weights but still maintain a healthy diet. You may even lose some weight as the beginning of the pregnancy from morning sickness and such.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    At one time my dietician told me not to fret about it. She had just said proceed with diet and exercise. She said the early stages of pregnancy are not typically affected negatively by it. At that stage the baby doesn't have a high caloric need yet.

Obviously if you do end up preggers, be careful as soon as you find out. But likely as not you won't be pregnant for long without knowing it.

You should never intentionally try to lose weight while knowingly pregnant though. Just keep a tight watch on your cycle, which if you are TTC you probably already are.

In the meantime, continue your good efforts as they will help a lot for a healthy pregnancy. I went through 2 pregnancies with diabetes that required a lot of insulin. You do want to do everything you can to be as healthy as possible. But even if you would end up with that, don't let it worry you to pieces. It is managable. Not fun, but it can be controlled.
  • BaysiderNY
    BaysiderNY Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies. I am also hoping to lose some weight in the first trimester by watching my diet and exercising. I didn't get too sick when I was pregnant with my first baby.

As soon as we are motivated to lose weight, another baby happens :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Do you need to have another baby like right this second, or could you wait a few more months until you're healthier? It's better to lose some weight first until you're at least in the healthy weight range. If you're a healthy weight you'll be less likely to have any complications and you're more likely to have a healthy baby. If you can manage, hold off until you're healthy.
  • BaysiderNY
    BaysiderNY Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I wish it was that easy. I've been telling myself I need to lose the weight ever since my baby is born but that just never happens and it keeps delaying everything. My career. I want to have another baby, get my masters, job... and the rest. But it never seems to happen and I am at a point where I gave myself a deadline.. its here.

Oh and I am not very unfit. I am very active but its my love for food that isn't helping me. I get yearly check up.. physical and my doctor always tells me I am in pretty good shape.

And maybe I will lose the extra 15 lbs after I concieve ..

Bad idea?? lol
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I wouldn't reccomend trying to lose weight while pregnant. You're supposed to gain ~15lbs during pregnancy and eat ~150 calories a day more than you normal would. Trying to lose weight while pregnant would risk your fetus being deprived of essential nutrients. I would strongly suggest you try to lose a little bit before conceiving. Simple changes can take the weight off fairly quickly. Especially if you're overweight to start. I started losing weight while I was still well within the healthy weight range and it seemed to fly off with little effort.