Chemicals in food processing causing problems?

Options
Eve23
Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
Has anyone experienced reactions to foods that are caused by the chemicals that are used in processing rather than the food itself.

I am curious as to how you tracked down which chemical it was and what your reactions are to the chemicals.

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I cannot say I have personally, but a co-worker of mine does in milk.

A few years ago, she was strategically going through foods that she thought she was having issues with. One food she cut out was milk. As soon as she did, she started to feel better almost immediately.

A couple of years after that, she was buying groceries at a local farmer's market. There, she met a farmer who sold milk by the glass jar - straight from his farm. She decided to buy a bottle and see if she still has the problems. She didn't, so she tried the grocery store milk. With the milk from the grocery store, she started to have problems... She now drinks the jarred milk, and avoid the grocery store milk.

Makes you think what crap they put in that stuff, that gives her problems she doesn't have from "real" milk.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    A co-worker mentioned that he has some auto-immune issues and has to avoid xantham gum. I wasn't able to get the details though...
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yes I have a few. I went to a woman who does NAET treatments(look it up...too complicated to explain), she tested me for 300 different things, from food to chemicals and she is now trying to cure me of those allergies. I feel so much better and I have no more headaches, achy joints and overall just feel better. Not sure if there would be someone in your area but well worth a look!!
  • Eve23
    Options
    Well I have narrowed down a real issue from sugar. It is not the sugar itself however but the chemicals in the processing of sugar. The problem is narrowing which of the chemicals used in that processing is causing the issue because it is used in other things as well.

I have found I can have dehydrated sugar cane without the reaction which is awesome. I have also found I don't crave the amount of sugar I did before. But I still have pain because I haven't tracked it down to the full extent.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Has anyone experienced reactions to foods that are caused by the chemicals that are used in processing rather than the food itself.

I am curious as to how you tracked down which chemical it was and what your reactions are to the chemicals.

Only msg. It messes with my nerves and makes my head feel fuzzy, or gives me a sick kind of feeling. That crap is garbage!!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    MSG is a food additive used to "enhance" flavor. I'm not sure if that qualifies for what you're asking about or not.

Anyhow, I used to have headaches every single day and painkillers didn't help them go away for very long, if at all. At some point my wife suggested I try avoiding MSG and I did that. WAY easier said than done - they put that in practically everything I used to eat. The headaches went away. It's now quite rare (can't even remember the last one I had), but if I eat, say, a bag of chips with MSG, a headache will soon follow.
  • Eve23
    Options
    I have reactions to msg as well as many other things. What I am referring to is the chemical processing of foods to make a product.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    What I am referring to is the chemical processing of foods to make a product.

Partially hydrogenated trans fat use chemicals in the processing of that fat. It's undoubtedly the worst frankenfood ever invented that in this Country is still allowed to be sold.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    A co-worker mentioned that he has some auto-immune issues and has to avoid xantham gum. I wasn't able to get the details though...

For the record, Xantham Gum is not a chemical. It is, in fact, natural. While it may also be an awesome laxative, it is a natural derivative of corn (sort of/sometimes) and can be used as a thickening agent.

Or a laxative *giggle*
  • neanderthin
    Options

For the record, Xantham Gum is not a chemical. It is, in fact, natural. While it may also be an awesome laxative, it is a natural derivative of corn (sort of/sometimes) and can be used as a thickening agent.

Or a laxative *giggle*
    Water is a chemical.
  • odusgolp
    Options

Or a laxative *giggle*
    Water is a chemical.

You are a chemical.
  • neanderthin
    Options

Or a laxative *giggle*
    Water is a chemical.

You are a chemical.
    Your right, I'm glad the info sank in.....:wink:
  • odusgolp
    Options

Or a laxative *giggle*
    Water is a chemical.

You are a chemical.

You're... Yes, I was confirming your statement as fact *LOL* I think logic would seem to note that is not the OP's intention, however. :flowerforyou:
  • neanderthin
    Options

Or a laxative *giggle*
    Water is a chemical.

You are a chemical.

You're... Yes, I was confirming your statement as fact *LOL* I think logic would seem to note that is not the OP's intention, however. :flowerforyou:
    You're *cough* right again. lol
  • odusgolp
    Options

Or a laxative *giggle*
    Water is a chemical.

You are a chemical.

You're *cough* right again. lol

FWIW, you totally could have smacked me for correcting that. I was totally being a smartass, and I hate it when people do that *LOL* Sorry :)
  • jadeaudrey
    jadeaudrey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am soooo allergic to processed food. Once (in band camp) I had store marinated ribs and my face blew up. I also get hives from processed food. I do not know which chemical exactly but since I have taken up clean eating I have not had the problem again
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have reactions to msg as well as many other things. What I am referring to is the chemical processing of foods to make a product.
    What are some examples of the chemicals you're referring to?
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Aspartame gives me major headaches now =<.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I am soooo allergic to processed food. Once (in band camp) ....

BWAHAHA!

Wait... nevermind :blushing:
  • jadeaudrey
    jadeaudrey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am soooo allergic to processed food. Once (in band camp) ....

BWAHAHA!

Wait... nevermind :blushing:

Heheheheheh, I start far too many sentences with 'once', so now my friends always add on 'in band camp'.