Pulled a muscle... What do I do??

Options
Ok, so I was goofing off about 30 mins ago and I think I pulled the muscle at the very top of my thigh (quad?).... what do I do?? I can hardly lift my leg to go up a step now and it hurts like hell to sit down and stand up (the process of going from one position to the other). The kind of pain that gives a hot flash/chill at the same time kinda feeling. LOL

Ice? Heat? Bourbon? Suggestions? I'm really mad at myself for goofing off an doing that since I'm supposed to be working out tomorrow. Today was my "day off"...... grrrr...

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Replies

• stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Man I feel your pain...

I blew out my ankle a week before my first 8k race and I was freaking out. What I did was rest and ibprofen. I was supper bumbed out becasue I was really into the training routine HOWEVER....with the rest I gave myself I was able to do and FINISH the race. I didn't get as good as a time as I had hoped for but I did FINISH!

My advice...rest until it feels better, see a doc if it doesn't happen in a few days. Hope you feel "great" in just a short while.
  • Heather_b1986
    Heather_b1986 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    hiya i pulled a muscle in my shoulder a few days ago so i really do feel your pain! I tryed to rest it as much as possible, took some ibuprofen and placed a hotwater bottle on it over night and it was much better the next day, infact it didnt really hurt at all
    hope if you try the same it will help you too :smile:
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Ice and ibuprofin. Maybe you can do something that won't hurt your quad tomorrow? Rest really is the best thing. I would recommend:

swimming (mostly arm work)
    weight lifting - burns as much as cardio if you work hard, avoid that muscle
    rowing machine - more hammy than quad
    easy easy biking
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Alternate heat and ice for 20 minutes at a time...heat brings blood flow to the area to repair and ice reduces the inflammation...do not ice longer than 20 minutes
  • kgrutch
    kgrutch Posts: 223
    Options
    sounds like a hip flexor, i pulled one a few months ago, i could barely walk. i took it easy for a week and it got better after about 2 weeks. i used to ice and heat it, whatever felt better at the time.
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate your help. I used ice last night, didn't think about ibuprofen, dangit.. I'm not really into taking pills, so I forget about that option most of the time... I just suffer through it. Sitting on the bed wasn't bad, but swinging my leg onto the bed, hurt like the devil. I think I'll be resting it today. Oh, and taking some ibuprofen. :wink:
  • FitbitConnor
    FitbitConnor Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    nothing can beat rest unfortunately. I'm in the process of trying to fix my foot and continued to train with my injury for over a week and surprise, surprise it didnt get any betterive given my foot total rest for two days and will ease back into training this week and see how it goes i guess :0)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Yeah you're just going to have to rest it. Take a hot bath and take the ibuprofin for the swelling. I hope you feel better soon.