Confused And Don't know what to do

Options
So I have been doing some strengthening workouts and I got told that it won't help me lose weight. I want to know your guys intake on this.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    a trainer at the gym told me this. he also told me that doing heavy weightlifting would make me bigger.

i then agreed with him and told him he as right since i have had to increase my pants size from a size 16 to a size 12 since august
  • Hungrygirl88
    Options
    Sorry I just have to giggle at this.... It'll take longer most likely...that's about it, I would think? Go by how you feel and your clothing...i wouldn't pay too much attention to the scale if you honestly start lifting...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Every measurement of mine has gone down since starting- even obscure ones like my wrist and forearm. Pretty sure whoever told you that was confused.
  • cnote91
    Options
    and why did you have to giggle?
  • xeanx
    xeanx Posts: 69
    Options
    Muscle helps burn more calories at rest. You just can't choose where the fat will come off.
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    eatmore2weighless.com

some great information about lifting, eating and losing. muscle will increase your metabolism - the more muscle you have the more you will burn just sitting on the couch. if you need to lose weight this is the slow way, some cardio on rest days will help. take a look at the web page though, its fantastic :)
  • shelbysp8
    shelbysp8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Supposedly (from fitness experts) muscle weighs more but it builds your metabolism which will help you burn the calories/fat you take in; but like the person told you it will not really show as a weight loss until later. And like someone else said here cardio is VERY important and eating the right balance of proteins/carbs in your everyday diet.
    Again this is not MY opinion (I am no expert) this is from a class I took at the gym, that they offered with a fitness trainer and a nutritionist as the speakers.
  • julesw734
    Options
    Weight training helps burn the fat and gain muscle... Muscle is heavier than fat, but in the long run better for you... with weight training you will not necessarily loose pounds, but you will loose inches... Good luck hun..
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will help you lose "weight" as in bodyfat is a calorie deficit via diet or through energy expenditure. So if your creating that deficit via some intense weight training then yes it'll help. If your out eating that, you'll probably gain more fat and gain muscle too which will cause your weight to go up.

In regards to muscle burning more than fat, I wouldn't rely on that alone to provide any significant fat loss or out work a bad diet unless you plan on taking something items, which will go unnamed, and packing on some significant mass.
  • eloelochat
    eloelochat Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've read that when it comes to weight lifting, guys should increase weight as they can, while girls should stick to moderately heavy and increase reps. Not sure how true it is, the whole article seemed very reasonable. Anyway, weights and cardio are the best way to burn calories => it's a no brainer!
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    combine your workouts with some cardio :)
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    a trainer at the gym told me this. he also told me that doing heavy weightlifting would make me bigger.

i then agreed with him and told him he as right since i have had to increase my pants size from a size 16 to a size 12 since august
    [/quote

hahahhaha. love it.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

hahahhaha. love it.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    You will lose weight as long as you are in a calorie deficit. Keep up the strength training!
  • jono2970
    Options
    NocturnalGirl is totally right :)
  • leaffan12
    leaffan12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Water retention might mask weight loss due to inflammation in the muscles; however, it won't stop you from actually losing weight. Keep lifting!
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise at all to lose weight. Losing weight comes down to calorie deficit. However, while eating at a deficit you will lose muscle mass. Lifting weights will help maintain that muscle mass.

Keep lifting!!!