green smoothie's?

Options
i know i wont lose weight off this but its something i want to add to my diet and exercise regimen to get my nutrients. has anyone tried this or is doing this and noticed an improvement in energy, health etc? lol more importantly do the recipe's taste good?

Replies

• FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    We have a green smoothie every morning

(well 9 times out of 10)

it consists of

spirulina, macca powder, wheatgrass powder, cacoa, prunes, banana, apple juice, flax seed, cinnamon and paprika
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Sure you'd lose weight. And its packed with awesome nutrients. I just started adding kale to my protein shakes a few weeks ago so I'm still experimenting. I'm real careful to factor it into my daily macros. I do 2 scoops of protein powder, 4 oz of plain Greek yogurt, a banana, 1.5 cups kale or spinach & at least 10 oz water. If I can spare the cals, I'll add in 1 or 2 tbs of peanut butter. Peanut butter makes everything better! I've found that kale tastes better with banana than blueberries. You have to keep it in the blender for at least 60 seconds, maybe more. Otherwise it's like you're drinking grass. Seriously, you do get used to it. And it's very, very filling. Oh, I think my best one so far with kale has been with a cup of the Dole frozen mixed fruit (peaches, mangos, grapes, strawberries, pineapples). It makes it sweeter than a banana.

Experiment. Have fun. I was so intimidated by protein shakes but once I started experimenting, I couldn't stop. I love them now!

Edit: I forgot to mention, I wasn't crazy about the avocado in it. I'd rather eat it plain but sometimes it's just easier to throw it in the mix. I probably just need to find something sweet to offset it.

I've also noticed a huge improvement in my energy level as well as my concentration level.
  • MarisaLWood
    MarisaLWood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking green smoothies almost every morning for breakfast for about a year and noticed some improvements in my general health:

1. I lost 4 pounds in water weight the first week after starting them.

After several months on green smoothies, and no other major changes in my diet:

2. My blood sugar went down from 99 to 91 (despite drinking so much fruit!).
    3. My blood pressure went down from 127/77 to 100/68.

The secret to a good-tasting green smoothie is a formula of 2 (or 3) parts fruit to 1 part greens... and at least some of the fruit should be fruit that has a creamy texture when blended, such as pear, banana, or mango. I like to use 1-2 different kinds of frozen fruit, so the smoothie will be ice cold!

One recipe I like:

1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
    1/2 cup frozen strawberries
    1 banana
    1 to 1 1/2 cups spinach (you can substitute kale or chard or any other green you like)
    Enough water to blend

And the one I had for breakfast yesterday:

1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks
    1/2 cup frozen passion fruit pulp
    1 banana
    1 to 1 1/2 cups spinach
    Enough water to blend

Victoria Boutenko's book Green Smoothie Revolution has some great recipes for "green smoothie novices"--and the chapter on green smoothies for children is another one with some good recipes to try.
  • cvaught1
    Options
    thank you all for the input. its something ill definitely have to start working on! =]