im so upset.

Options
i really am.

i have been going to the gym, working out fiercely, watching what i eat to a t, not going over my daily 1200 calories. Then, after reading yesterday, i see that i should eat my "exercise calories"...so i eat a LITTLE bit, not to much over, a 6 ounce pieces of chicken breast and 3/4 cup ( if that) of brown rice last night after my kids went to bed and i GAINED WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!! :( screw the exercise calories theory. im sticking to 1200 calories from now on. this freakin blows. ive been working SO hard. yesterday i had 1 pound weight loss after ONLY eating just UNDER my 1200 calories and today, i have a weight gain. the scale is really starting to upset me. i measured myself and my body isnt changing. im working out SO HARD. and im not seeing results. im ready to just give up and say im going to be this way forever.

Replies

• SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Do not be discouraged...You have to remember that water will also weigh you down. I know people that go a week or more and do not get on the scale daily. Maybe you could try that approach...and you also have to remember that muscle weighs more than fat. So if you have been working out quite a bit that could make the difference too.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    i really am.

i have been going to the gym, working out fiercely, watching what i eat to a t, not going over my daily 1200 calories. Then, after reading yesterday, i see that i should eat my "exercise calories"...so i eat a LITTLE bit, not to much over, a 6 ounce pieces of chicken breast and 3/4 cup ( if that) of brown rice last night after my kids went to bed and i GAINED WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!! :( screw the exercise calories theory. im sticking to 1200 calories from now on. this freakin blows. ive been working SO hard. yesterday i had 1 pound weight loss after ONLY eating just UNDER my 1200 calories and today, i have a weight gain. the scale is really starting to upset me. i measured myself and my body isnt changing. im working out SO HARD. and im not seeing results. im ready to just give up and say im going to be this way forever.

I'm with you on that one. When starting MFP I ate my exercise calories and gained weight. So I stopped and now I am 25 lbs down. I said it so many times on here before, just do what works for you. Some people on here get so mad because you dont eat your exercise calories because thats what works for them, everyone is different. Do what works for YOU!
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You can't base it off of one night! Of course you are going to lose weight eating under 1200 but you are also much more likely to stall out because you've messed your body up not eating enough. You can't really gain weight overnight so it's not like it's real weight. If you're sticking to 1200 calories and exercising you're not eating enough. Your weight might show an initial increase but more than likely it will be way more beneficial in the long run. You don't have to eat all your exercise calories but I really don't think the bare minimum (1200) plus exercise is good for your body.

You have to eat an additional 3500 calories in a week to actually gain a pound. I can't imagine that chicken and brown rice was that much. Your weight fluctuates, it can be many things. You can't base all of this purely on the scale. Eating back some of your exercise calories for ONE night did not cause you to gain weight.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    If I gain it's usually lack of sleep, lack of water, muscle water retention from working out too hard, or the week before my TOM. Everyone is different of course but you have to look at these factors too. I agree with the poster who said to weigh once a week. I'm not good about it but I'd probably stop getting so upset if I would follow my own advice.
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You can't base it off of one night! Of course you are going to lose weight eating under 1200 but you are also much more likely to stall out because you've messed your body up not eating enough. You can't really gain weight overnight so it's not like it's real weight. If you're sticking to 1200 calories and exercising you're not eating enough. Your weight might show an initial increase but more than likely it will be way more beneficial in the long run. You don't have to eat all your exercise calories but I really don't think the bare minimum (1200) plus exercise is good for your body.

You have to eat an additional 3500 calories in a week to actually gain a pound. I can't imagine that chicken and brown rice was that much. Your weight fluctuates, it can be many things. You can't base all of this purely on the scale. Eating back some of your exercise calories for ONE night did not cause you to gain weight.

junipuni hit the nail on the head. Just 1200 if you're exercising is too low, and you didn't gain a pound from a piece of chicken and rice. Weight loss is (sorry for the cliche but I like this one) is a marathon; not a sprint.

More importantly, I know you're really frustrated but please don't let one "setback" (I put that in quotes because 1 pound is not a setback--my weight fluctuates 6 lbs every DAY) discourage you and make you quit. You can do this.
  • LiveKind
    LiveKind Posts: 12
    Options
    Don't panic and don't give up!!! It is possible to eat too few calories and send your body into "starvation" mode, where it holds on to fat because it thinks food is not forthcoming. This truly happens...I am not saying that this is what is happening to you...BUT it is worth researching...I know there are threads about this on MFP. I used to be very physically active and in the past when I drastically cut calories but maintained my exercise routine I STOPPED losing. My doctor explained to me that I needed to increase calories (while maintaining my exercise)...which I did and lost weight. Counterintuitive on some level....but makes sense on another. Also, I agree that you should think about weighing in once a week at the same time...weight fluctuates so much from day to day...It could be water weight from eating a meal high in sodium!! Bottom line...don't give up, and be patient as you try to find what works best for your body! :smile:
  • AmyLynn4321
    AmyLynn4321 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you ate the rice pretty late in the evening. Remember the theory of not feeding rice to birds - cause it all swells up. Could have a lot to do w/ it. It swelled and absorbed all your water. drink lots of water and I'm sure that 1lb will be back off tomorrow or the next day.
    Also - i never eat my exercise calories. I make sure and eat between 1200 and 1350 (my daily allowance).
  • AprilChampion
    AprilChampion Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you ate the rice pretty late in the evening. Remember the theory of not feeding rice to birds - cause it all swells up. Could have a lot to do w/ it. It swelled and absorbed all your water. drink lots of water and I'm sure that 1lb will be back off tomorrow or the next day.
    Also - i never eat my exercise calories. I make sure and eat between 1200 and 1350 (my daily allowance).

i didnt think about that. thank you so much. it makes sense...i drank probably around 100 ounces of water yesterday.
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is NOT ENOUGH FOOD. (Unless you are 100% bedridden or under 4' tall)

You need to fuel your body. You will not see healthy, long-lasting results if you continue to starve your body. My minimum calorie intake is 1400 calories on days when I don't work out. I'm female, in my 20's, and 5'9". I also have an overactive thyroid and my doctor recommended 1400 calories; otherwise, about 1550 would be my daily minimum.

You're most likely seeing weight gain because you're throwing your body into starvation mode--causing it to store fat and burn muscle for fuel: all around, not good for you, your body, or your weight-loss goal. You need to up your base calories and continue eating your exercise calories. It will take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks to get your metabolism functioning normally again. Your can't jerk your body around like a 16 year old with a stick shift and expect great results. There's a great post called "700 calories a day and not losing" that addresses the problems your having.

(Other reasons for weight gain include hormones & time of the month, not getting enough sleep, weighing yourself at different times of the day and under different conditions, and natural body flux after sleep and exercise. Try weighing yourself only once a week and under the same conditions every day: ie, every friday when you wake up, right before the shower).

I can't stress how much you need to up your calories. 1200 a day is not healthy for anyone on their feet and over 4 feet tall. Restricting your calories and then not eating your exercise calories back..... just not a solid idea.
  • AprilChampion
    Options
    well, i WAS eating 1700 a day (if that) and the "COOK YOURSELF THIN" book that i have said to take your goal weight ( 120 for me) and multiply it by 10. so, i did. it comes out 1200 calories a day. it also said to cut your calorie intake by 500 calories a day. which i did. and i got down 6 pounds by doing that . then i ran out of healthy food for my diet, and i gained it ALL right back because i started eating those 1700-2000 calories again. i know what works for my body. Im eating plenty. if you SAW how much i ate, you wouldn't be saying that i am not eating enough...i drink coffee in the morning and eat 3-4 eggwhites, spinach, plum tomatoes and a slice of onion in the morning, huge salad with shredded carrots, cabbage, onion, tomato celery and french dressing with a handful of croutons for lunch, popcorn and strawberries and cottage cheese for snacks between meals and then a normal healthy dinner. i eat PLENTY. i only eat what the recommended serving size is. Im NOT starving myself.

my husband says its because im due for my period...i dont think its that, cause im over a week late with that now and NO, im not pregnant, my tubes have been tied for 4 years next month....im just so frustrated.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Yes I'm sure your husband is right. I gained 3 pounds the week before my period this time, but it's all gone as of this morning and I haven't even started yet. Tubal ligation can fail so you might want to take a pregnancy test if it doesn't start in a few days. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to take your current weight X 10 (for maintenance)and then trim 500 cals a day off of that to lose weight properly. However you're not supposed to ever go under 1200 per day. Your body is going to hold on to every bit of fat you have if it thinks your starving it.
  • AprilChampion
    Options
    Yes I'm sure your husband is right. I gained 3 pounds the week before my period this time, but it's all gone as of this morning and I haven't even started yet. Tubal ligation can fail so you might want to take a pregnancy test if it doesn't start in a few days. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to take your current weight X 10 (for maintenance)and then trim 500 cals a day off of that to lose weight properly. However you're not supposed to ever go under 1200 per day. Your body is going to hold on to every bit of fat you have if it thinks your starving it.

with that, that puts me at even LESS calories @970. THEN i WOULD be at starvation mode. im 147 pounds...so 147 pounds x's 10 would be 1470 - 500 = 970 calories. that doesnt work.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options

with that, that puts me at even LESS calories @970. THEN i WOULD be at starvation mode. im 147 pounds...so 147 pounds x's 10 would be 1470 - 500 = 970 calories. that doesnt work.
    Right - that's why she added that you're never supposed to go under 1200 per day. So, based on a generic formula, it's under but you bump it up to 1200 because that is the minimum the body needs.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    PLEASE PLEASE weigh in only once a week....I think weighing in daily will drive u nuts!!
    IMO, I don't eat ALL my exc cals, but about half..give or take....

Good luck
    kim
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Oh my this thread is all over the place. And that should show you that a 1pound gain from one meal, one night doesn't make sense. You've said you work out regularly, your muscles grab water after a workout. I think the biggest deal here is that you weigh yourself WAY too frequently. Your weight changes a lot in the course of a day and even within a week. Remember that the scale isn't biased towards fat; it's the whole of you on there. I'd chalk that "gain" up to water retention from the workout and the water your body transports carbs with. I never weigh at the end of a day, as I've ingested food, water, and other evil demons that make me hate the scale.

As for eating your exercise calories, you need to. Otherwise you'll be under what is a healthy amount to eat for your body to exist. I don't eat the whole amount that MFP calculates - it tends to be way too high, so I stick to about 50% of what it says on here. You may see a loss for a little bit by not eating them, but you'll end up with problems. If your body thinks it's starving, when you eat again it'll go nuts and hold on to everything it can.

Also, you aren't very far from a good weight. The less you have to lose, the slower it comes off.

Lastly, don't think that your tubes being tied will save you. My mom had hers cut and cauterized in 1984. I became a big sister in 1993. And no, they didn't grow back together.

Good luck! And remember these things take time.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who said only weigh yourself once a week, especially if a 1 lb "gain" is going to bother you. Most of us who are on this journey seem to live & die by what the scale says, and that's so counterproductive!

8 years ago I lost 50 lbs in 10 months, and kept it off for 5 years. Trust me, if you're in this for the long haul, then going up a pound or two on the scale means nothing. Heck, I probably weigh 3-4 lbs more at night than I do in the morning!

I find myself that even if the scale says I've lost weight, I don't see any real progress until 3-4 weeks into my lifestyle change, progress meaning how I feel, how my clothes fit, how much better I am working out, etc. To me that's a true measure of sucess, not a number on the scale.

Try not to beat yourself up, do what's right for you and above all else, don't give up!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is NOT ENOUGH FOOD. (Unless you are 100% bedridden or under 4' tall)

You need to fuel your body. You will not see healthy, long-lasting results if you continue to starve your body. My minimum calorie intake is 1400 calories on days when I don't work out. I'm female, in my 20's, and 5'9". I also have an overactive thyroid and my doctor recommended 1400 calories; otherwise, about 1550 would be my daily minimum.

You're most likely seeing weight gain because you're throwing your body into starvation mode--causing it to store fat and burn muscle for fuel: all around, not good for you, your body, or your weight-loss goal. You need to up your base calories and continue eating your exercise calories. It will take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks to get your metabolism functioning normally again. Your can't jerk your body around like a 16 year old with a stick shift and expect great results. There's a great post called "700 calories a day and not losing" that addresses the problems your having.

(Other reasons for weight gain include hormones & time of the month, not getting enough sleep, weighing yourself at different times of the day and under different conditions, and natural body flux after sleep and exercise. Try weighing yourself only once a week and under the same conditions every day: ie, every friday when you wake up, right before the shower).

I can't stress how much you need to up your calories. 1200 a day is not healthy for anyone on their feet and over 4 feet tall. Restricting your calories and then not eating your exercise calories back..... just not a solid idea.

Might not work for YOU...I eat 1490 calories a day, I burn on average 900 cals a day...no plateaus, no stalling, no starvation mode has happened to me, you need to readjust your goals every few pounds of weight loss, what worked inthe beginning doesn't always work when you start losing weight. I never eat back my exercise calories, ever..and i'm doing just fine, i've been at my goal weight for over 11 years.
  • bariachic
    bariachic Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Sometimes weighing yourself every day isn't such a good thing. I fluctuate ALOT! I just try to weigh myself a few times a week, at the same time every day.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    You can't base it off of one night!

i ditto this. not to mention it takes a few days to see the weight gain from a disaster earlier. e.g. say you go over for a couple of days on cals, and then eat what you are supposed to for a couple of days, then you weigh yourself to see that you gained weight. this is from the going over days prior.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options

Just so you all know--this is a myth!

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/birdrice.asp