The Swim Suit....

Options
Today is day two of swim suit shopping. Yesterday I went to ten stores and still could not find one. I kept saying that I didn't like the style, but I'm not sure if I didn't honestly like the style, or if I just didn't like the way I looked in it. I can't stop thinking of how hard I have worked, and now I'm at my hurdle that I can't get past. I can't stop thinking that I worked this hard to look good in a swim suit in California, and I feel like I have failed. I'm going to look again trying to keep positive.

"It's not 'I don't look good in that swim suit.' it's 'that's swim suit doesn't look good on me."

I was at a store yesterday and this clerk asked me why my swim suit didn't work. I told him it just didn't and he said the most inspirational words ever: "Well don't you know that you should make it work? You make it work for you, you gotta work it. Don't you know that rule?"

I think that's how I'll try thinking today.

Replies

• amjayasuriya
    Options
    Swim suit shopping is the hardest thing of all for someone trying to lose weight so be very easy on yourself or its easy to get discouraged!! My rule of thumb is to not look at the size tag but just what fits. My suit from Old Navy was a lot bigger than my clothes size but it fit a lot better. Hang in there and dont give up!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    We're our own worst critics....use a sunless tanner and go shopping on a day where you feel good about your body, the tanner will help you get a "glow" that truly does help, you also have to know your body type so that youre picking out the right styles to begin with. For instance I look absolutely ridiculous in a monokini, doesn't fit my shape...and bring along a friend who can be really honest but sensitive as well, go for a nice bright colour..black isn't always better..hope I helped!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It can be very frustrating!!!! You definitely have to buy bigger sizes and have the patience to try on many many sets, different brands, shapes, etc. I am not really sure what body areas you feel uncomfortable with but for me, I am 46, I need a little lift in the chest so I go for halter tops. When it comes to bikini bottoms I learned from watching a show on tv that you want to look for a bottom with strings so you can adjust it to fit better. You might also want to shop in a place that sells separate pieces and not sets. Of course if you are looking for a one piece then it does not matter. But you can also get tankinis and that you can buy separate. I am smaller on top than on the bottom so I dont have good luck when they sell bikinis and tankinis as sets. Good luck! I am sure you will find what you are looking for. :flowerforyou:
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I went bathing suit shopping last December just prior to a trip to Disney. The store I went to is in our Mall (Water Water Everywhere) and the woman who works there was SO helpful. She brought suit after suit to me and gave me her honest opinion. At one point, I had on a bikini and I told her that I liked it until I sat down in it...referring to my muffin top that hangs over everything...and she said, "Oh honey, we don't sit. we LAY down ..." It was so funny! Good luck to you and remember, you are beautiful.
  • lgblack
    lgblack Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am only ~10 lbs away from my goal and I still don't like myself in a bathing suit. Hence why I am now focusing on weights and toning...maybe I will get those lines again lol!!! On preparing to go to Mexico, I had to do the dreaded swim suit shop. When I put on this one "Miracle Suit" (advertising says it takes 10 lbs off you!!!), it was in dark navy and turquoise (gotta have colours that flatter your skin and hair)....my two daughters said "Hot Mama, you gotta buy that one." Think it was the design at the chest that revealed cleavage but held everything in check!!! Obviously, I bought it!! Not a bikini, but made me look good!! I agree, trying on swimsuits with pasty white skin is never a good thing.!!! But I do like in Canada, so I suck it up!! Good luck!!!! p.s. my husband says that sales guy should have got a sale for his words of wisdom!!!!!! lol
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Rock that swimsuit, Cheyann... I said ROCK IT! :glasses:

You rock the swimsuit, don't let it rock you. Find one you're in love with, the colors that just make you pop and shine, and run with it!
  • borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hi, sorry to hear about your day. My advice when it comes to clothes shopping is to stick to brands that have worked for you in the past.I like hugo and Paul smith but Calvin doesn't work for me so I don't even try it on. And as mentioned before you are your own worst critic and I'm sure you looked great in most of the ones you tried. You'll find the right one and when you do it will just feel right.
  • IKnowICan
    IKnowICan Posts: 86
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss:drinker: I personally only wear Tankini's. They have to Black with big Stitching. Their is a really nice suit on:

http://www.spiegel.com/shop/popup_lgview.aspx?style_id=25120272&img=06S0783A_GT07_D.JPG&SrcStyle=0&zoom=1

Then of course you need a Crocheted Wrap that you fold over & wear it low on the hip with cute flip flops & Wow you look stylish & emphasize the good stuff not the not so good stuff.

Enjoy your Trip:glasses: :heart: :wink:
  • IKnowICan
    IKnowICan Posts: 86
    Options
    BTW I just looked at your Profile & you look Fantastic! What are you talkin about girl?:smokin:
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My vote is for the Miracle suit. We have a similar chain in Cal. - Everything but water. The staff is much better than a department store and there is a huge variety. I've had mine for over six years and they still have all the stretch and haven't faded ( I have a few that I alternate - they last longer because I'm bad about rinsing out the chlorine right away.

I also agree that black is not always best. They've been running the bathing suit shows on AM tv, and the models - unless they are completely toned and really well proportioned - all seem to look better in the vivid colours.
  • cheyannheartsyou
    Options
    Well I found my suit!! And it's a string bikini! This one looks so good on me too! I put on a self tanning lotion before I went. It worked a little better. But it's navy blue and it's just so adorable. I got the adjustable strings on the side so I don't have muffin top. :) I'm definitely going to start bumping up my toning exercises. Thank you guys so much! :D
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!