What do you say?

Options
shyeban
shyeban Posts: 121 Member
I've lost a bit more than 30lbs (a few lbs more than my ticker says). It's visible. So visible that every day someone comments on how great I look/how slim I look...

And I don't know what to say. I've got another 20lbs to go before I'm not overweight. I don't know how to say thanks but say I'm not done without sounding awkward.

Then they all want to know how I've done it. The response "I ate less and moved more" also causes awkward pauses and laughs...

What do you say? How do you respond? I'm not great with compliments at the best of times.

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I say thanks but need to lose more.. if they ask what I have done.. I say Zumba, weights and MFP.. people always wanna know what MFP is..
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I say I'm eating less. That is all I am doing, but it's not the answer they are looking for. ( btw I'm a Brit living in Canada:). )
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congrats on losing thirty pounds! That is awesome and good luk with your next twenty!

I think you just say exactly what you have been saying "eat less and move more" because there isn't a magic solution. Although perhaps replace eat less with eat healthier.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I always just say thanks. If they ask how, I say hard work, then if they keep going I think they are really interested and I'll go into more specifics.
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I say thanks. If they ask how. I say stop eating the crap you eat and workout. Sorry but people at work got on my nerves and that is now the reaction they get from me.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,232 Member
    Options
    Just say thank you to the compliment-no need to say how much more you want to lose or whatever. Thank you is sufficient.

When people ask how I did it, my answer is one of 2 variants depending on the person asking: "the least popular diet plan in America-eat less & move more" OR "I started running and stopped eating like a fraternity brother". Since I'm a girl, the second usually gets a grin - but either answer is plenty. If they ask more, I'll say that I actually eat more now-just less crappy stuff. But really-short and sweet is fine. People really don't care (at least the ones that talk to me) and they certainly aren't interested in doing any "real" work to achieve the same results.

Congrats on your progress-you are doing great!
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I've lost a bit more than 30lbs (a few lbs more than my ticker says). It's visible. So visible that every day someone comments on how great I look/how slim I look...

And I don't know what to say. I've got another 20lbs to go before I'm not overweight. I don't know how to say thanks but say I'm not done without sounding awkward.

Then they all want to know how I've done it. The response "I ate less and moved more" also causes awkward pauses and laughs...

What do you say? How do you respond? I'm not great with compliments at the best of times.

After 28 Kg (since Feb 12) I get a lot of reponses ranging from "you look good" "are you sick?" and one simply said "wow" repeatedly. When it is a compliment, I reply "thank you". When asked how I did it, i say "watching what I eat and exercising". I usually give a brief explanation about MFP because they simply can't believ it's that simple.

BTW, also in Canada (Saskatchewan... hard to spell, easy to draw). Cheers!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If they mention it, I just say "Thanks" and smile. If they were to ask how (nobody has yet), I just tell them I"m eating better, and getting some exercise.
  • cakemewithyou
    cakemewithyou Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I shove MFP down peoples throats. I'm like, "OMGZZ MFP ITS ALL THANKS TO THEM. ARE YOU A MEMBER? YOU BETTER BE BY THE NEXT TIME WE SPEAK!!"

I have recruited 6 people to this website so far. LOL active members, losing weight.
  • ReinaLorenz
    ReinaLorenz Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this....I have lost 65 pounds so far and I to have about 20 lbs.to go before I jump into the just overweight category. So many people have told me I shouldn't lose anymore weight...
    I have stopped telling them how much I have left to lose and I make a funny joke about unicorn cream as the way I lost the weight because no one wants to hear that I ate less and moved more:smile:
  • jrtcw
    jrtcw Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Just say thank you to the compliment-no need to say how much more you want to lose or whatever. Thank you is sufficient.

When people ask how I did it, my answer is one of 2 variants depending on the person asking: "the least popular diet plan in America-eat less & move more" OR "I started running and stopped eating like a fraternity brother". Since I'm a girl, the second usually gets a grin - but either answer is plenty. If they ask more, I'll say that I actually eat more now-just less crappy stuff. But really-short and sweet is fine. People really don't care (at least the ones that talk to me) and they certainly aren't interested in doing any "real" work to achieve the same results.

Congrats on your progress-you are doing great!
    I think that she has said it all. I have lost 22 lbs and am waiting for somebody (other than my Mum, my lovely husband and my friend who runs) to notice...
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Just smile, and say, "thanks". The women at work (I'm male) are constantly asking me about how I did it. It's flattering and a little embarrasing at the same time. I tell them about MFP, logging my food, and exercise, but I think most people think it's some sort of black magic.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I've been getting the same thing lately!! Maybe 30lbs is that magic number lol

When I say "thanks! I've got about 50 more to go before I'm comfortable!" I get looked at like I'm insane!!
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I came to the conclusion some years ago that it is one of the things that gets in the way of my losing weight..that of not being able to accept compliments and feeling in the spotlight. In fact as soon as someone said anything it was as if a switch turned off and I mentally felt that I didn't have to bother any more.

Well done on your loss so far anyway!!
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Take the compliment. You've done the hard work and you deserve it!! As for asking how you did it just keep saying what you are saying, I think alot of people that ask are hoping for some magic pill or diet not an answer that deep down most of them already know lol so no point in long drawn out responses there (unless they end up being truly interested then if they are a friend never hurts to point them in the right direction)...
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'd tell them Thank you and you should accept your acomplishment and be happy :)

As for how you did it, I always start out telling people it wasn't easy and basically say what you said about diet and exersize. If they laugh, then oviously they aren't ready to get serious about their weightloss as you have.
  • hpsNcrvs
    Options
    Just say "Thank you..I'm just watching my calories, and being more active".
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I say thanks, and hard work.
  • shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Well I'm glad I'm not the only one plagued to give some sort of secret formula!
    And to whomever mentioned that it can actually cause you to lose motivation- totally! I've been plateauing for a while because of this and have just kick started my loss again
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I say "Thanks"... and "lifestyle change" and no, I am not done yet with getting fit.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!