PCOS girls

Options

Replies

• honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I just got diagnosed about two months ago. I had lost a bunch of weight just calorie counting and being active last year, and then all of a sudden, I was craving sugar like a fiend (literally ALL i would eat were sweet foods), yet still counting calories/being active, and I was gaining weight on net 1,200 or so (eating like 1,600 a day--which I was easily maintaining on before). It was so frustrating to gain ALL of that weight back and I was beating myself up because I lacked self control with sugar and I just was so upset because I knew I had created a healthy lifestyle that I could have maintained otherwise.

After months upon months of doctors visits and tests, and no one telling me anything except to 'eat less and exercise more', I got a PCOS diagnosis based on my history of irregular periods throughout my life (and the fact I hadn't had one in 5 months and that was the time I gained all my weight) and my blood sugar levels, which put me almost in the pre-diabetic range, something that didn't make sense to me after I lived the healthiest year of my life.

My doctor put me on metformin and Yaz and told me to follow a lower carb/low glycemic diet. I've been lucky and yes, I felt a little nauseous and sick on both of the medications for the first week or two, but now, I don't feel anything from them. I also went a bit crazy on the low carb madness, trying to eat like 70 g of carbs down from my usual like 200+ (I was never a big meat eater, didn't like to eat high fat foods on a low cal diet from before, and I LOVE fruit and have gummy vitamins in the morning which was like all of my allowance haha). It was a disaster. Not only did I feel sick and low energy (I tried it for a few weeks), I couldn't complete workouts, I was super crazy about restricting food and depressed/mood swingey and so much more. I also binged out on cookie dough once or twice during those times. I know it may not be the best for the sugar levels, but I now gravitate anywhere between 100-150 g of carbs a day, but they are usually paired with a protein or are very high fiber/low to no sugar, etc. I am a sweets fiend and this was super hard for me to adjust to, but I've found ways to make it something I can maintain. I eat protein bars (yes, with artificial sweeteners), have diet hot chocolate, and either a no sugar added pudding or small serving of dark chocolate when I need something sweet (at least once a day for me). There's no way I could do it otherwise. I have one serving of fruit a day. I don't eat bread, pasta, potatoes, sweetened yogurt, bananas, sugary cereal, etc, but I found these really great low carb/high fiber/protein wraps that I use a lot. I think you'll find a ton of PCOSers do really low carb, but I know myself and know that I can't maintain that forever. Find what works for you.

I've continued exercising (6x a week of 40 mins interval cardio) with 3x week of strength/conditioning, and have been eating probably between 1300-1400 and I've lost 7 pounds in about 2 months. It could be the metformin, I don't know, but I haven't been able to lose this kind of substantial amount of weight in months and I haven't weighed this little since March. I can finally fit back into some of my old jeans that I was wearing at this time last year. It feels great.

Best of luck and feel free to friend me!
  • sallyann123
    sallyann123 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    so what pace to ppl say is normal for PCOSers to lose? how about 1 lb in TWO weeks?!?! seriously!!! i feel like giving up. which happens everytime. my doc who clearly has no bedside manner said i clearly wasnt trying hard enough. 1200cal a day, whole same...wat else?
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    First, realize that the calories projected on the website will be too high for you to lose weight. Women with PCOS have a BMR that can be as much as 600 calories less than "average women". Quality and type of food is also very important for us! Like others have said, using glycemic index or low carb is good. Also, I take Metformin (500 mg 2x a day), which as been a lifesaver. I'm pregnant right now, so I haven't been following anything very well, but I need to get back on it! I hope this helps!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18678372
  • Suewags
    Suewags Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have always struggled with weight. At my highest I was 265 and would always look like I was seven months pregnant. I would go for years without a period. I had to take fertility medicine to get pregnant (and on top of that I developed blood clots while pregnant). Diabetes runs in the family and I had gestational diabetes with both kids. Right now I'm bordering on diabetes if I don't eat right. So I'm really working on trying to stop this PCOS!

I have found that I need to completely stay away from refined carbs, especially wheat products. I just feel very bloated and it adds the pounds on like crazy. I can do whole-wheat items but I keep those restricted to one or two servings a day. I try to stay at 1400 calories, most of which is protein and vegetables. I do add fruits in but try to stay away from those that have lots of sugar and low fiber. I've also noticed that I have to do interval training or some sort of heavy sweat-inducing exercise to lose the weight. Walking the treadmill for an hour doesn't do it, but walking several minutes then running a minute for 30-40 minutes does it.

I have ALWAYS yo-yoed in weight! During Thanksgiving week I gained 5 pounds and then the next week I lost 4.5 pounds and now this week have lost another 4 pounds. So it goes on super easily (which is so very discouraging!), but if I work at it it can come off quickly at times too. I always thought the swings in weight were just me, but it looks like it might be a symptom of PCOS.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I want to offer another perspective. I am 4'11", lift heavy 4 times a week. I never eat lower than 1500 calories a day, often higher. I do not do low carbs because for me it is not sustainable and make life not worth living lol. I try to eat between 75 - 100 g of protein a day. My weight loss is not dramatic.....it is quite slow but since it is sustainable and I have been doing this for 2 years. It is true that with PCOS we may have a lower metabolism but the last thing you need to do is eat even lower amount of calories !!!!! Metabolism is a precious thing, adding muscle mass really help.

11614737_7941.jpg
  • bonita071
    bonita071 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    First, realize that the calories projected on the website will be too high for you to lose weight. Women with PCOS have a BMR that can be as much as 600 calories less than "average women". Quality and type of food is also very important for us! Like others have said, using glycemic index or low carb is good. Also, I take Metformin (500 mg 2x a day), which as been a lifesaver. I'm pregnant right now, so I haven't been following anything very well, but I need to get back on it! I hope this helps!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18678372

This isn't universally true. I had my RMR tested a few weeks ago and it was 1810. So MFPs calorie recommendation tends to be too low for me.
  • abates14830
    abates14830 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I've lost 65 pounds since May. I just stay under my calories and fit in walking or some kind of exercise when I can. I don't pay attention to the other numbers but I try to keep the sodium intake low. I'm also on metformin, that may be helping some. I was on it for a while before joining as well.
  • sarahbrown1015
    sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am struggling to find the right balance of carbs/protein for me. I work out hard and regularly, but I find that every few weeks when the scale stops moving, my emotions take over, and I start indulging in sugary, fatty, processed foods which ultimately, makes me feel worse. I'm trying to pull myself out of a cycle right now because I know persevering is the only answer. It is how I have been able to lose 50lb's. But that has taken me 2 1/2 years and I still have about 80 lbs to lose. I just started Metformin and I can't tell if it's helping because the last couple of weeks have been a free for all. Does anyone do anything to deal with the emotional side of PCOS? Pregnancy is not my goal, so it seems a little whiny to ask that, but sometimes it makes me feel crazy!
  • senami632
    senami632 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the cambridge diet (you can do an internet search on it if you haven't heard about it before) for three months now and I've lost 42 pounds. I started off with the low calorie step and then, I've gradually moved to a higher calorie step so I don't put the weight back on. I also exercise (running or skipping) 6 days a week. Nothing else has worked for me so I'm so happy to have found this. It can be quite frustrating working so hard to lose weight and not seeing any results. But as soon as you find what suits you, go for it! Good luck, hun xx
  • Mandypt
    Mandypt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I had a miscarriage in September. (FYI I conceived naturally!) I really think that its been alittle easier to lose since then. I am not back to my pre pregnancy weight yet but I'm getting there.
  • EricaMBlakely
    EricaMBlakely Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    After I switched to a vegan lifestyle (modified just a touch) I noticed the pounds and inches started coming off. Once I got out all the toxins, and not to mention the added hormones in meat and dairy, I felt better and my body felt better. It's all about what you put into your body, if you feed it nicely it will be nice in return.
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I went back on the pill to treat my PCOS, and then got unexpectedly divorced, so divorce diet + birth control pills = weight loss. lol
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Low carb/ low to no sugar has helped me. Off all meds for it and monthly cycles are now normal. Also lost
    close to 100lbs. 30 on MFP.
  • jessgumkowski88
    jessgumkowski88 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have the high testosterone version of PCOS not Estrogen and my doctors put me on Metformin XR to level out my testosterone levels and I've been having a MUCH easier time a losing weight.

I do have lapses if I forget to take my metformin and i gain my weight back very quickly. I also sometimes have lapses even if I remember to take it, but if I watch my diet for a week or two, the weight loss starts back up again.

For me, I feel like the best way to combat PCOS is not so much dieting, but INTENSE exercise :) That's where I've had the most luck. The harder the exercise and the greater shock to my system, the easier it falls off. Not to mention the more empowered I feel after :)

Good luck everyone!
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I also need to go with a low carb/glyycemic Index to low/no sugar diet. Plus I supplementing a lot of the mineral nutrients and Vitamin D. It really helps me. So I could start to lose.
    I always did a lot of exercising an dancing and I was always too heavy "for what I eat and what I do". But if I start with carbs it's either just directly going into my fat cells or... what I learned lately because of an insulin resistance: it make me crave more sugar. So I really overate. Since I stopped/controlled my carb/sugar intake - it's going better!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I have the high testosterone version of PCOS not Estrogen and my doctors put me on Metformin XR to level out my testosterone levels and I've been having a MUCH easier time a losing weight.

For me, I feel like the best way to combat PCOS is not so much dieting, but INTENSE exercise :) That's where I've had the most luck. The harder the exercise and the greater shock to my system, the easier it falls off. Not to mention the more empowered I feel after :)

I've always been high testosterone PCOS as well and would agree that exercise has always been more beneficial for me than a specific diet. I tend to build muscle easily so I think that is the main reason it helps out. I was on Met years ago before getting pregnant, but never started it back up after giving birth. Hard work has gotten me to where I am weight wise right now.
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Oh - an thank you ladies! Reading your posts makes me feel less lonely, less weird, less abnormal. They make me realize, that this is just pcos/ir reality!
    Thank you so much! And I prefer pco-mfp-friends. So feel free to add me, if you want to support eachother in the longterm down and daily up and downs ;-)
  • 1DayMarathonRnner
    1DayMarathonRnner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 11 years ago. I have lost almost 130 pounds total (from my heaviest). I went from 370 to 242. The first 70 was doing low carb and working on 5 days a week, 30 mins a day. This last 50 has been using MFP and eating the Paleo diet.

I am now on maintenance because I found out I was pregnant 5 weeks ago. My husband and I have been trying for 6 months. I was never put on Metformin but my mother has been.
  • LMSCROGG
    LMSCROGG Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    to all the PCOSers out there...if you're succeeding at weight loss and a healthy lifestyle, please share with me your tips and tricks that have helped you along the way. thanks!
    also, please add me...I'm always looking for new friends to support and have support me :)

Sending you a friend request now! I am also going to assume we are the same age (born 1985 right)???
    I have suffered with PCOS for years and am still suffering from it especially with my weight loss. I have had weight loss surgery to help me with my weight loss and still can say that I am struggling. I cannot even look at a carb without gaining weight or not loosing at all.
    ~LaToya
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!