is 56 lbs lost enough ...

Options
to make you unrecognizable - I mean, to someone you haven't seen in awhile - for them to walk right by you and not register that it's YOU?

just curious. Had a Breakfast With Santa event this morning, and haven't seen a lot of these people since I started watching my weight back at the end of March.

I saw one of the parents and he was chatting with someone. I was standing right next to him, and he didn't say anything. I finally said "Hi Matt." he turned, looked at me, did a "OH.. HI.." and kind of did the up and down glance, like he was seeing me for the first time.

anyhow - just wondered if the difference can be enough to make you unrecognizable? I mean - at 100 I get it. but what do you think?

TIA

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Yeah it is. long time ago, the first time I gained weight..everyone kinda met me big so when i lost 40lbs and went to the club they were all walking by me. I had to grab them and find out whats up? Turns out NONE of them recognized me.. I went from 172 to 130 and they hadn't seen me in a couple months so no one knew I lost weight until that night.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm sure! A lot is probably going to depend on how tall you are, where you carry your weight, and where you're losing it from. I, on the other hand, am down almost 45 lbs and people didn't even notice that I'd lost weight until I'd lost 40 lbs! I carry my weight pretty evenly distributed (a bit more in the middle) and lose the same way, so overall, I haven't shrunk much.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am unrecognizable at 50 lbs lost. At only 64 inches tall and 190 lbs I'm leaner than I've been in almost a decade. It's fun :)
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your height and body type... I am 5'11 with a wide frame, and it takes a 30 pound loss for it to be noticeable. I carry weight really well (I weigh 235 but everyone guesses I weigh 150-170, even my boyfriend who sees me naked!)
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone. I just can't wait till I hit the 100 lb mark. Then there wouldn't be any doubt in. My mind!
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Sure is! And congrats :)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    That's genuine shock on his face is real yes! I still find it hard to believe! Take it and run! X
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I have a friend I meet with once a month and we met at a store, I go there first and when she showed up and text me what area she was, I walked that direction to look for her...she walked right by me. I had lost about 10 more pounds than the month before when she last saw me, so 30 pounds total, and she said she didn't recognize it was me at first.

People who see you every day are much less likely to notice anything, those who haven't seen you in a while will notice the change much quicker.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Yeah my own mother walked right past me.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    50lbs? heck yeah! hell, I got a haircut once and was waiting for my own brother at the airport and he walked right by me. Said he didnt recognize me at all. And that was just a haircut. LOL. congrats on your weight loss.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how much you have to lose. I've lost 50 pounds, and I look the same way I did about 5 years ago.