Calories burned added to daily Calorie intake

Options
I was wondering why they add the calories you burn during the day exercising to the calories you're allowed to eat for the day? Is there any way to change this? I can probably manage to do the math and not eat those calories I just burned, but It would be so much easier if MFP did not tell me I can eat those when, In all reality, I shouldnt.

Replies

• LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Actually, most (though not all) folks on MFP believe that you should eat those calories back. The calorie deficit is already built in to the calculations and you need to fuel your workouts. Theoretically, you should be seeking to achieve a NET no lower than 1200 or whatever your daily goal calories is, but never less than 1200. Again, according to MFP guidelines and most folks on here, though not everyone.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I was wondering why they add the calories you burn during the day exercising to the calories you're allowed to eat for the day? Is there any way to change this? I can probably manage to do the math and not eat those calories I just burned, but It would be so much easier if MFP did not tell me I can eat those when, In all reality, I shouldnt.

If you used MFP to set up your calorie goal, then yes, you *should* eat them back or you will create a deficit that's too high. If you manually changed your calorie goal, then just wait until after you log your food to log your exercise.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Unless those calories you have burnt are part of your daily activity and you have taken account of them by setting your activity level accordingly you SHOULD eat them back to get the correct calorie deficit.

If you were a car you would put more fuel in when you drove further wouldn't you?
  • leahestey
    leahestey Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree. You need 1200 calories to function normally as a human being. Your BMR will give you a BETTER estimate on how many calories to maintain your weight if you lay in bed all day. Any exercise needs fuel so that's what these "calories" are for. If I go lower than 1500 (I breast feed so the extra 300 is for that), I GAIN weight.....because it goes into starvation mode.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Because that's how the site is designed to work. It gives you a lower calorie goal than another site would, then adds to that base the more active you are. Surely everyone understands that someone who runs 10 miles a day is going to require more calories than someone who walks 1 mile three times a week? But MFP doesn't count exercise you say you're going to do, it only counts it when you do it and log it.

If I tell MFP I want to lose one pound a week, I would get a base calorie goal of about 1300 calories. With exercise, I'd earn between 200-600 calories more per day. Let's go for an average of 400. That would make my calorie goal 1700.

If I use another site to calculate my calorie goal, I'd find out that my TDEE (total daily energy expenditure - average amount of calories I burn in a day) is about 2300. If I wanted to lose one pound a week, I'd take 500 calories off that, and get 1800 calories. Pretty darn close to what MFP calculates for me. The difference between the two is because MFP assumes I'm an average person of my age and I'm not.... my lean mass is a little higher and body fat a little lower than average.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    All above have said it -- eat the calories back. The deficit is already built in! I always eat my exercise calories back.
  • BeckyM03
    BeckyM03 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had been wandering the same!
  • BeckyM03
    BeckyM03 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Id use a heart rate monitor when it comes to eating back the calories.. I bought one and used it and the calories i actually burned was a big difference according to what MFP has recorded :)
  • SaraLily85
    SaraLily85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just feel like if I eat those calories back then I exercised for nothing. I should be eating about 1600-1700 calories a day to maintain my weight. But I want to lose weight so I manually changed my calorie goal to 1300. I burn about 200-400 calories a day exercising, depending on the day and my workout routine. I have been doing this for a week now and have not eaten back any of the calories I earned for exercising and have lost 3 pounds. I feel as though this is working for me. I barely snack between meals because I am satisfied until just about an hour before each meal. So I start cooking and by the time its done, Im ready to eat again. I eat well. Get the nutrients I need. I exercise everyday and get the sleep I need. So far, I do not think that eating back the calories is necessary. I don't want to maintain, I want to lose. Tell me whats wrong with that.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    What you lose during the first week of any diet is water weight. You will be fine for a few weeks and then things will start to go south. Your body needs fuel to do the workouts you are asking it to do. I felt the same way when I started but after about 8 weeks, was about ready to give up (again). Thank goodness I listened to people who know how the body really works, how to lose weight and keep it off and how to make sure you are losing mostly fat and not lean body mass.

If you're curious at all check out this site and run your numbers. Don't get swept up into the old thinking that the only way to lose weight is to starve.

This is my gift to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 :flowerforyou:
  • SaraLily85
    SaraLily85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It makes sense now that I read that. This guy is a genius!