Hip Flexors!!

Options
On week 6 for P90X. There are still some moves on there that I struggle with (mostly during Ab Ripper X) because of my hip flexors. My Abs burn (a good burn), but dont hurt like my hip flexors do. Maybe I am doing the moves wrong, or they are just really that weak - I dunno. They do not hurt after my work out, only during. Is there any good stretches that would be beneficial to help that out. I do have a Dr appointment on March 29th, so I will discuss with him as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

• EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I found these stretches.. I think my hips are the weakest part of my body.. I heard physical therapy can help :p

Hip Stretches

Hip Flexion

Sit in a chair, facing forward. Holding the seat of the chair with your hands, lift one leg as if you were taking a step. Do not lean forward as the leg is lifting. Keep your abdomen pulled in as you lift for support. Repeat 10-20 times then do the sequence with your other leg. This builds hip strength as well as flexibility.

Internal Rotation of the Hip Joint

Still sitting, spread your feet farther apart. With your feet flat on the floor, tilt one knee toward the other, then let it relax back into starting position. Repeat up to 10-20 times on both sides.

External Rotation of the Hip Joint

Rest one ankle on the opposite thigh. Lean forward and rest your forearm on the inside of the bent leg. Lean further forward, pressing your forearm into the leg, hold for a few seconds, and then return to starting position. Repeat up to 50 times on both sides.

Hip Extension

Holding onto a table or back of a chair, grasp your foot or ankle. Let your knee dangle straight down. Move your thigh backward, then return, repeating on both sides up to 20 times.

Note: If grabbing your ankle is too difficult, you can also benefit from simply moving your straight leg backward in the same fashion.
  • hjsyndrome
    hjsyndrome Posts: 215
    Options
    Thx, i will give them a go to see if that helps.
  • DebraGreen
    Options
    You might try to get a foam roller. Place it on the floor, lay on your side with your leg across your knee, hip on top of the roller. Try to relax and roll back and forth, you are giving yourself a massage. Do this before and after a workout, it brings circulation to the area of discomfort. I am a lot older than you, I stretch longer and use the foam roller, and my hip flexors feels better
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to feel it in your hip flexors too (Tony even mentions it a few times). It's total core work which will strengthen your abs more efficiently than doing just the workouts that spot target your abs.

In The Bar Method we are taught to hold in our ab region during the ab segments. If you attempt that during ARX you'll have your abs crying in no time, hehe.
  • hjsyndrome
    hjsyndrome Posts: 215
    Options
    Thx for the advice. I thought for sure that my hips would allow me to do more by week 6, but it hasnt. It is all in the front of hips (not the sides at all, right where my legs connect to my torso. It just screams.... I am starting to think its just weak in that area...
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I found these stretches.. I think my hips are the weakest part of my body.. I heard physical therapy can help :p

Hip Stretches

Hip Flexion

Sit in a chair, facing forward. Holding the seat of the chair with your hands, lift one leg as if you were taking a step. Do not lean forward as the leg is lifting. Keep your abdomen pulled in as you lift for support. Repeat 10-20 times then do the sequence with your other leg. This builds hip strength as well as flexibility.

Internal Rotation of the Hip Joint

Still sitting, spread your feet farther apart. With your feet flat on the floor, tilt one knee toward the other, then let it relax back into starting position. Repeat up to 10-20 times on both sides.

External Rotation of the Hip Joint

Rest one ankle on the opposite thigh. Lean forward and rest your forearm on the inside of the bent leg. Lean further forward, pressing your forearm into the leg, hold for a few seconds, and then return to starting position. Repeat up to 50 times on both sides.

Hip Extension

Holding onto a table or back of a chair, grasp your foot or ankle. Let your knee dangle straight down. Move your thigh backward, then return, repeating on both sides up to 20 times.

Note: If grabbing your ankle is too difficult, you can also benefit from simply moving your straight leg backward in the same fashion.
    Thanks!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Glad I searched for this topic before posting another.....gives me all the stretches I need! Thanks!:happy:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    :drinker: