Do no carb diets work?

Options
So I'm trying to go on a no-carb diet in order to lose the fat covering my muscles... Is that healthy? I've been at it for a week now and its easier than you think....

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Wow, how do you do it? no carbs? You eat eggs and chicken all day?

I don't think cutting out all carbs is healthy tbh because... for example... fruits and veggies have carbs in them and lots of nutrients.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    So, there is nothing really "wrong" with a low-carb diet, but the problems are always can you keep that up for life? Once you stop that diet, your body will probably start gaining weight again. Or, you'll have craving for high carb food, making it harder to eat healthy....
  • SunLixia
    Options
    cutting out carbs like white bread and things like that are ok, but you don't need to cut ALL carbs out completely. Many breaded things (white bread, white potatos) turn to sugar in your body, so you should do some research first before you cut everything out. Wheat bread and things like that are ok to eat.
  • Christaaa78
    Christaaa78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    losing weight is only a matter of burning more calories than you eat.

Science shows us that it doesn't matter which diet you do.

I personally think that a no carbs diet is not very healthy.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Where do you get your fiber? Are you really eating NO carbs, or just no grains. Veggies have carbs.

I tried Atkins a couple of times? It worked, but it was never sustainable for long and I always regained.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with carbs? Are they like communism? Even that started out as a fine idea.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So I'm trying to go on a no-carb diet in order to lose the fat covering my muscles... Is that healthy? I've been at it for a week now and its easier than you think....

It's unnecessary as fat loss would be the same with carbs holding protein and cals constant
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I tried a no carb about 20 years ago and it went well for about a month. I will say I felt full and didn't lose energy but I also couldn't poop :embarassed: :explode: and felt that made me sluggish. Add the right carbs and you are golden(fruits and veg)!!
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

It's unnecessary as fat loss would be the same with carbs holding protein and cals constant

^^agreed, according to studies i've read there's no real difference over no-carb vs. traditional calorie restrcted diets in regards to weight loss. As i understand you may be able to lose more weight at first as a result of the lack of carbs( loss of water weight and such) however the results are the same over a period of greater than a month I believe.

No need to go to such extremes particularly if you love your carbs, cuz i know i do in moderation of course The whole purpose is to attain a greater eating pattern that allows you to eaaatt within reason. With excluding certain food groups, an extreme of sorts unless for medical reasons, you can drive urself bonkers lol esp if you're trying to lose weight.

However i must add some people enjoy and/or benefit from a low-carb diet and can easily handle one, it's all about perference at the end of the day.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    what is the reasoning behind cutting all carbs? And, does this mean you won't eat veggies, too? Seems extreme to me...
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    For me, low carb helps to keep my appetite and hunger in check. I feel dramatically better and full of energy when I eat fat rather than carbohydrate.

I don't count calories. I think it's the wrong way to go about dieting. I listen to my body. I eat when I'm hungry. I don't eat when I'm not hungry.

I create my deficit naturally by feel instead of my numbers. I can't go all my life counting calories or worrying if I'm over eating. I just eat.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

it is an extreme approach

it is not required to reach your goal

very hard to maintain for any extended length of time

risks outweigh the benefits

my vote is no.......not worth it
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
  • LovetheNewMe
    LovetheNewMe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I still eat carbs, and I am building muscle. I eat high protein to counter balance the carbs, carbs for breakfast and lunch and very low carbs for dinner in form of veggies. I would suggest you google a weight training diet, they are low carb not no carb. It is very hard to sustain no carb for a long period of time and the purpose is not to put your body in ketosis but to burn fat and build muscle.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I'm a big believer in lower carb diets, but I don't think I would advise a "no" carb diet for any length of time.
  • Remo_Williams
    Options
    One of the main benefits of low-carb is that you feel full and can eliminate most or all cravings. You can still eat plenty of veggies, but just the ones with low card content, so you can still get the fiber if you need it. One of the things I've noticed with people I know who have gone on Atkins in particular is that they never really follow the program. What I mean by this is that after the 2 week induction, they are over-encouraged and instead of slowing adding the right carbs back in until they achieve maintenance, they try to stay at near zero-carb forever. Also many people still try to avoid fats while on a low-carb, and they end up eating way too much lean protein. If you are going to do low-carb, don't be afraid of the fat, you will need it to be successful!
  • snowfox1
    snowfox1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    yes definately low carb (not no carb), healthy fats, protien, veges, berries and nuts.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    No carb? Really difficult.

Low carb? Feasible, and with a bit of trial an error you can find what level 0f carbs works best for you. That might be 50g, it might be 100. But you're going to have to put a bit of effort into finding that sweet spot, it wont be the same for everyone.
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    might help boost a weight loss if you did it for like 7-10 days , otherwise it isnt a good idea and I dont believe it would be sustainable in the least. Go low carb high protein, but even that is a challenge when you consider doing it for life.
  • Ampierce
    Ampierce Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump... Curious what others think.