PCOS girls

Options
13»

Replies

• LMSCROGG
    LMSCROGG Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have been having a very difficult time but for the past few weeks I decided to go completely into healthy mode. I have completely cut out all grains other than quinoa. not even any brown anything! I basically have been eating fruits, veggies and lean protein. no dairy. (for its inflammatory side effects) I try to drink lots of water and eat small amounts often, I also try to keep Glycemic Index numbers in my head while deciding which fruits to eat etc. I went down five lbs within a week but part of my PCOS issues (i think!) is that I fluctuate rapidly. I stopped going on the scale and looking at my face-where it shows the fastest and I am definately going down the right path. before this i thought there was no hope! i cld go for months literally and barely lose a thing. I lost 8 lbs in three months and gave up because i wasnt seeing any progress. I hope to start exercising but im a student and its finals time so not until after...oh i also take 1500 mg ER metformin. which btw didnt do a thing for me until i switched to extended release (ER) and now i feel like my periods may be getting more on track! just a small NSV when i had ONE bight of bread yesterday I felt so sick! my body has gotten to the pt now it knows the difference while before i was eating so much crap my body didnt even feel bad!
    [/quote

Hey Sally! I use to take the metformin. I was up to 4 pills a day and then eventually they stoped working for me. It really sucked. I had weight loss surgery lost over 100 pounds and recently had my IUD taken out. Now I am gaining again slowly but my cycles are on time. I think I am going to try the low glycemic index method for choosing my foods. I have to do low carb if I ever want to loose weight. I HATE that I crave carbs sooooo much.
  • LMSCROGG
    Options
    Also, do any of you guys get discouraged looking at yourself? I tend to bloat a lot. It looks like I gain ten lbs, lose ten lbs, some days I have a double chin and some days my face looks nice and skinny. It's really discouraging.

I've lost about 20 lbs on a lower calorie diet... but I've upped my calories because I'm trying to do it the healthy way. But... that doesn't seem to help as much.

But that's the way I'm going to do it whether I like it or not.

I know eating a lot of fiber has really helped me on bloating.

I don't know what works for me. I really don't. It sucks. I also have my gallbladder out so a lot of fatty foods upset my stomach as does bread. I'm thinking of trying paleo but I don't find that to be very sustainable for me since I love carbs... but I might have to make sacrifices...

I have had my gallbladder taken out as well. Like you I am trying to find a eating plan that will work. Carbs are really my weakness. Feel free to friend me on here.
  • nc805397
    nc805397 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My doctor thinks I may have PCOS, actually I think I do too. I have all the symptoms!! :( I am going back on Monday to see what my next step should be/ more tests, etc.

GAHHHHHH maybe this is why I struggle with my weight so much and feel bloated all the time. Both of my parents have diabetes so I am a bit scared of that as well.
  • LMSCROGG
    Options
    I would love to have more friends on here that also suffer with PCOS.
    Feel free to "friend" me :-)
  • LMSCROGG
    Options
    I started this round of weight loss different in that I started with the gym as a way to get back into a shape other than "round" as I would say. Before I would always cut calories, but once I got lax on it, the weight would be back on within a few months. So I'm taking it slow and it seems to be good for me. I am currently in the gym 5-6 days a week and trying to come in at about 1500 cal/day with a 500 cal/day deficit. I tried the 1200 route a few times, but felt like my blood sugars were getting too low so I think 1500+ is best for me. I do some lifting (it is a cardio style lifting class) twice a week, and 3 days of cardio (running and the spinning bike), and then just added a day of yoga. In January I am switching to a 6 day a week lifting program in the hopes of firming up and burning off the last of the stubborn stomach fat while gaining strength and power. I am also paying attention to my macro breakdown and strive for a 20/30/50 - 25/35/40 fat/protein/carb ratio and eating 5 times a day (once every 3 hours or so).

I am making a list of things to try and this may be one of them. the 20/30/50-25/35/40
  • Anzsjela
    Anzsjela Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed PCOS about 5 years ago, since then I have been struggling with my weight. I was taking Diane 35 but decided to stop because I was gaining too much weight, now I have no medication and my periods are a mess. Wonder if my periods would be normal once I lose some weight, anyone knows if there is a relation between being overweight and irregular periods when you have PCOS?

Tried a zero carbs diet and lost 5 pounds in a week, I was amazed, back then it was all I needed to lose. The next week I tried to incorporate good carbs back in my diet and like magic... the 5 lb were back.

In the last two years I have hit a max of 161 pounds. I workout and try to eat healthy, I as able to lose like 2 pounds in a couple months and now I am counting calories! Since I started checking my calories I noticed I was eating way too much, most of the times the right foods but still too much of it. So far I have lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks, I am down to 155 pounds now and would like to lose 15 pounds more, that number might change since my main concern is to lose the fat around my waist and % of fat in my body, but we will see, this is quite a learning experience.

I dont avoid carbs or anything now, I eat all sorts of things but I have noticed if I eat alot of candy or "bad carbs" aswell as greasy foods, I have less energy for my workouts and my daily activities. So I try to save 80% of my calories for nutritive foods that will give me the energy I need to lose my weight and the rest for chocolates, I love chocolates!!!! lol Xmas time is kind of hard, lots of cookies and stuff... but if I manage to at least mantain the weight I would be doing just fine.

Please feel free to add me and DO NOT LOSE HOPE, its all a matter of learning how to maintain your body healthy and perseverance :wink:
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Someone asked if everyone gets sick on Metformin... I took Met for about six months when I was trying to conceive my first. I didn't have any problems feeling sick on it if I followed the "rules" - you really can't eat greasy foods, highly processed carbs, or much alcohol at all. It didn't do anything for weight loss that watching my intake didn't, but it did seem to make my cycles more regular.

I conceived on the fourth Metformin cycle (the first two were with Clomid and were busts). After my first kid my cycles were a lot more regular - just about every 50 days. ("Regular," ha.) I conceived on my own on the fourth cycle. I think sometimes being pregnant can somehow realign our hormones.
  • sallyann123
    sallyann123 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i see I am not the only one here that feels like their weight fluctuates super fast. how about I can eat a slice of bread, turn around and SEE IT IN MY FACE?!?! my husband thinks its crazy, he has never seen anything like it, but he can see a difference in my face from one bite to the next!!! anyone else???
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    i see I am not the only one here that feels like their weight fluctuates super fast. how about I can eat a slice of bread, turn around and SEE IT IN MY FACE?!?! my husband thinks its crazy, he has never seen anything like it, but he can see a difference in my face from one bite to the next!!! anyone else???

Yes - it's going very fast. And two days later all the acne is back... :-(
  • Suewags
    Suewags Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am struggling to find the right balance of carbs/protein for me. I work out hard and regularly, but I find that every few weeks when the scale stops moving, my emotions take over, and I start indulging in sugary, fatty, processed foods which ultimately, makes me feel worse.

Oh those emotion-filled sugar binges are a killer for me! I will have a candy attack that is just crazy and then all of a sudden I've eaten 8 or 9 candy bars! Candy is one thing I have to tell myself I can't eat at all because even one little bite is enough to send me overboard.
  • Sammy_GISWN
    Sammy_GISWN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals - I'm also suffering with PCOS and Having metformin from last two years continuously..I'm trying to conceive also but no success yet. I lost 22 pounds in 2010 then gained back all again this year ...I'm too much upset abt it ..I lost only 4 pounds in 4 monthas and beacuse of thankgiving holidays ..gained back ..how to maintain ..Please help me out !!
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and take the ER Met (since standard made me feel like poo). I have lost 9lbs so far and im hopign to lose more and get off Met
  • mk_hammer
    Options
    Hey, ladies. I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago. I've been on Metformin, and I believe it has helped with weight loss. I'm about 65 lbs down from my highest weight. Feel free to add me if you'd like to!
  • Anzsjela
    Anzsjela Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

just an FYI, if you are on Diane35 like I was, you should read this:
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/health-canada-reviewing-safety-of-drug-diane-35-1.1138667
  • vickyg1
    vickyg1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15 (40 now). Ive sruggled with my weight as soon since I hit puberty. I was diagnosed with diabetes about 7 years ago. I dropped 40lbs. really quick with metformin and changing a few things. I switched to diet pop and wheat pasta and bread. Now that Ive started really working out my doc says I can stop with the metformin but Im afraid to stop taking it so I told her once I lose 20 more pounds Ill get off of it.
  • Caramel_24
    Caramel_24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I didn't think about this affecting my calorie intake I thought what MFP said would be fine. But now I am curious because I have only managed to lose 14lbs in 3 months so disappointing especially when I feel hungry sometimes and This month I started working out. I was taking medication but then stopped, stupid I know but I didn't think it was working. I am going back to the doctors though to see what they can do. Should I lower my intake? I was diagnosed in 2009, and I want to try to conceive but for my doctor to help I need to lose another 47lbs. Neep help asap I am about to blow my mind literally!
  • MrsNole
    Options
    This is a great post.... thanks everyone for sharing your stories.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm a PCOSer, I don't have time to say everything I'd like to but I've lost 146 pounds without completely cutting carbs. Though I do avoid white carbs, fried foods, and fast foods.

There's no secret though...I log, I move...Metformin does help me considerably.
    Feel free to add me, I'll come edit this later with a better response.
  • SaShmy1022
    SaShmy1022 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later. Also, feel free to add me.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Bump!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!