benefits of protein powder?

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
My husband and I have recently started using Muscle Milk. What are the benefits of using protein powder exactly?

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind you get and how you use it.

I use low carb ones and I have a protein shake for breakfast. That way, I start the day with a strong base of calories, protein and fluid.

Some people use them as meal replacements because of the convenience. For that, some use a higher calorie one with more carbs to it has a carb/protein/fat ratio just like a meal. But not everyone does it that way (see above about my breakfast).

Some people use them in between meals as a way to boost calories and protein consumption... weight loss surgery patients and bodybuilders tend to use them this way.

Some people use them after exercise to aid in muscle recovery and to replace calories burned by exercise.

I'm sure there are other uses as well.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It makes LOTS and LOTS of $$$ for the manufacturers.

That is, by far, the most significant benefit.
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    To add to what's been said, I use it so I can reach the 141 grams of protein my trainer says I have to eat every day.
    According to her, when you're losing weight, you have to ensure that you get enough protein to keep yourself from losing lean body mass. The goal is to lose fat only and keep your lean body mass. If it weren't for the supplements (I use Optimum Gold Standard whey protein powder), I could never eat half that amount of protein (I prefer to eat very little meat).
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    To add to what's been said, I use it so I can reach the 141 grams of protein my trainer says I have to eat every day.
    According to her, when you're losing weight, you have to ensure that you get enough protein to keep yourself from losing lean body mass. The goal is to lose fat only and keep your lean body mass. If it weren't for the supplements (I use Optimum Gold Standard whey protein powder), I could never eat half that amount of protein (I prefer to eat very little meat).

I don't know anything about you obviously, but that sounds like a huge amount of protein. A lot of trainers (just like all people) accept what they're told without too much evaluation. Losing weight without losing muscle mass is next to impossible if you've got a lot of weight to loose, but the key strategy involved is going to be resistance training (ie: using those muscles) not eating copious amounts of protein. I suspect you're wasting your money on the protein supplement and your normal diet would be sufficient in protein. 1g protein / 4lb body weight is pretty much enough for most people following a normally active lifestyle without specific goals like bodybuilding or specific health conditions.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    I don't know anything about you obviously, but that sounds like a huge amount of protein.
    It doesn't seem huge to me, particularly for someone who weighs 200 pounds. But 1 g per 4 lb of body weight seems like too little. It would only be 50 g a day for Melathon and that's less than even the most conservative recommendations I've seen. (Which are 55-65 g a day for a menstruating woman.)
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about you obviously, but that sounds like a huge amount of protein.
    It doesn't seem huge to me, particularly for someone who weighs 200 pounds. But 1 g per 4 lb of body weight seems like too little. It would only be 50 g a day for Melathon and that's less than even the most conservative recommendations I've seen. (Which are 55-65 g a day for a menstruating woman.)

MacMadame--you're doing an Ironman this November?! That's amazing. :flowerforyou:

About the protein, yes, I was concerned at first, too. I'm a former vegetarian and that number the trainer gave me blew my mind--I could never eat that much meat, hence the supplement. But I did some research and most recommendations take into account "heavy weight training" (which I'm doing now) and her estimate goes right along with what the websites recommend for people my weight (208 lbs) who are weight training. I won't go into the technicalities (some use kg, some use lbs, etc.) but if you Google it you'll see what I'm talking about. Incidentally, at 1875 calories a day (my current regimen), protein accounts for 30% of my daily intake.
    (Also, I feel AMAZING compared to before I started this regimen, and that counts for something, too!)

Oh, P.S.--Also, my trainer's recommendation is based on my lean body mass, not just my overall weight.
  • abursey1
    abursey1 Posts: 36
    Options
    I have been protein powder since the end of January and have seen huge results in my body's appearance. I take one a half hour before my workout and then right after I work out. The nutritionist that I spoke with told me that protein powder helps build muscle and burn fat. I love taking it because I honestly believe that it does help. Since the end of January I have lost 30lbs and dropped 8.5% body fat.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    I'm with you, mel... I end up doing about 30% of my calories from protein too and that's the ratio I feel the best with.

Yes I'm doing an Ironman and I'm kind of amazed, myself. I used to watch them on TV in the 80s and think "I could never do that!" But, apparently, I was wrong. :laugh:
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions for a "clean" protein powder? I had some Muscle Milk Light today, and I'm pretty sure there's artificial sweetener in there. I could taste it, and I only had half of the shake. :grumble: