HRM Accuracy

Options
So I finally bought a HRM and I'm a bit confused on the way it counts calories. Like, I've been doing TurboFire and it's been reporting INSANE amount of burn. I've double checked my settings per the instructions. I have peak heart rate/resting heart rate and the correct weight programed. For instance, one workout has me over 1000 calories burned (60 minutes). I'm logging it BUT, is it possible that it's that much?

Replies

• nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I have a sportline solo and have searched the web on feedback of how accurate it is. I found nothing. It shows me burning 668 calories in 60 minutes of Stationary Bike. Then it shows me 352 in 33 minutes of walking in the snow. So far today it shows me doing over 1000 calories burned doing 90 minutes of LOW intensity exercise. Granted I am over 200 lbs and started this as so out of shape I would have to sit down twice at every walmart shopping trip. I can't find any feedback here or the Net. I have started only counting on and logging 2/3rds of it. I will be interested in hearing what others are saying.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    I have a Polar Ft4 and feel it's pretty accurate. I wear it during personal training sessions and burn close to 600 calories in 60 minutes, which makes sense to me. But MFP would log it as almost 1,000 calories which I'm not convinced at all by. With lower impact stuff it has me at about 350 calories for 45 minutes on the elliptical.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Not sure what kind of HRM you have. If it's a good one with a chest strap and you're only wearing it during exercise that significantly raises your heart rate then it's probably pretty accurate. The cheap monitors that you have to hold your finger on an electrode are not accurate because they aren't constantly monitoring your HR and a lot of them use the same calculations for men and women giving exaggerated burns for women.
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Buy a GARMIN Forerunner w/ heart-strap monitor based HRM. Use a formula to calculate your calories burned. Done and done.
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I have a polar F7 and I feel like its pretty accurate.. When I hike MFP would average my burn at about 600 but it didnt take into account that I was hiking a very steep heal, with my HRM it gives me a burn of about 750. I also have an app on my android called cardio trainer and when I ran that (it just est. cals burned by height, weight and activity I was doing) while also running my hrm the ending cals. burned was pretty much the same.

My moms trainer told her not to stress yourself out so much with all the numbers and calories burned just work your hardest eat less and move more and you will lose the weight and you will get healthier.. with all these numbers we can make ourselves go insane, find what works for you it may take a bit of trail and error but eventually you'll figure out if your burning/eating enough

Best of luck :-)
  • xyril
    xyril Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The HRM I'm using is a Timex T5G971 Heart Rate Monitor Watch. It does come with the chest strap. I just felt like it was a bit much. I am overweight ( nearing 300 :( ) so maybe that plays a factor as well. I'll keep logging and hope that I find some sort of balance. Thanks for the input!

Edited for correct model number