How to handle foot blisters

Options
So this morning when I was running, I developed some pretty big blisters on both my feet, on the inside edges, kind of between my toes and arches.

I've only recently started running (I never thought I could be a runner...but I have been pushing myself to do cardio every day and now I'm finally at a point where I can run for a few miles without wanting to die/give up immediately), so it's not something I've ever really had to deal with before.

I'm wondering -- should I continue running even with the blisters, or wait until they heal? What is the best way to treat blisters on your feet? Even if I gave up running until they heal, I go to school at a huge university, so I do a LOT of walking every day just to get to classes/around, so I'm afraid that these blisters are going to make my life really painful for a couple days =/

Replies

• ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    no one? :(
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Go to the foot care section of your drug store, or maybe market, and look for something called "mole skin". It's like a padded bandaid for blisters.
    Put it on over the blister and get out there
  • gcr_32
    Options
    Best thing for not getting blisters when running is to get a pair of running socks, plenty of brands about I personally use "1000 mile socks" ( you can Google it to see them). Most places who sell running gear will have them. Little bit expensive for socks, but blisters are a nightmare, and you will spend time off your feet with them.

As for treating blisters, "moleskin" is good, most foot care centres have blister treatment kits, basically it involves using a sterile pin to burst it, clean around the blister and keeping it clean, and keep it under wrap when it is in your shoe, when you’re at home, remove sock and bandage and keep off your feet……it will heal in a few days…..just be careful if you use a treatment kit as you will have an open wound and you don’t want it getting either dirty or infected.

Blisters are a nightmare, I run a lot and got a lot before I used the above socks, if your running and you feel the same spots beginning to blister again, loosen your shoe laces and either slow down or walk. Naturally you will build up a callus (Hard skin) around the sensitive areas.

Good Luck with them
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I have to use Body Glide on my feet or I get a huge blister on the arch of one foot, every time.
    I second the suggestion above too to get good socks with wicking.

I don't wait until they heal all the way to run, but you might want to wait until the worst is over or it can aggravate them.
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    I got some bad blisters doing a Avon walk several years ago, they had Nurses caring for them along the way, basically like previously stated, they cleaned my feet, then used a sterile needle to pop them, and cleaned them out, then covered them. I finished the walk, but my toes were painful for days after. Make sure you have good socks, some people use toe socks to keep the toes from rubbing against each other, it it the friction of movement, that can contribute to the blister. Check with someone knowledgeable at your local running store. You have my sympathy, I know they hurt.
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help guys! i'll have to check out some running socks and moleskin then haha
  • I had blisters on my feet due to a allergy from a certain type of shoe. I was told by the doctor to soak the feet in baking soda or vinegar to help with the blisters and the pain. Another doctor advised using mouthwash for the feet. I wasn't that bold to try it. I found using different socks, and shoes, I wouldn't have any problems with shoes allergies or blisters. I hope yours goes away soon
  • babsiB
    babsiB Posts: 1
    Options
    Cedar wood is the most natural way for fighting athlete's foot and similar foot diseases, maybe blisters. It's because of it's antifungal attributes mother nature has invented.

In practice you can use special cedarsoles of zederna - insoles made from cedar wood. They stop any fungal infections. I wear them in all my shoes, specially in running shoes.