Extremely Frustrated

Options
I've been on this site for about 2 weeks. Within the first week, I lost 3lbs which I thought was great! But during this second week, my weight has gone up again. I'm not entirely sure why. I've been exercising my heart out (which includes cardio and strength training, at least 30 minutes a day for both), eating back calories, switched my entire diet around so it doesn't include a lot of the bad foods, and I drink tons of water each day. I can see the difference in my stomach area, but not an improvement on the number on the scale. It's really frustrating me and stressing me out. Help. =[

Replies

• Kaathmandu
    Options
    What do you think is a reasonable, achievable weight loss? A pound a week? If so, you lost three lbs in the first week, you are still ahead by a pound! Weight fluctuates for a lot of reasons - especially for women with our hormones - for example, we usually retain fluid premenstrually, which will make it look like we haven't lost, or even have put on, weight.
    Just make sure you are doing the right thing, and not underestimating or forgetting things (personally, I don't 'add back' exercise calories).
    Look at the big picture - your weight will go up and down a bit - two steps forward, one step back - as long as it isn't one step forward, two steps back, you'll be heading in the right direction.
    So buckle down, and buckle up for the long and bumpy journey - keep tough, keep doing the right thing and you will get there!
    Good luck and keep up the good work.
    :-)
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    open your diary so your food can be looked at. 3 pounds isnt a concern, water weight, clothes or not, time of day. same scale. All things to take into consideration. you can move up and down 5 pounds daily, from water weight alone.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're gaining muscle or eating too much sodium?
  • kittypudding
    Options
    Yeah, I'm trying not to put too much pressure on myself to lose a lot of weight really fast because I want to keep it off. A pound a week would be fantastic! The reason I started eating back my calories is because I've been reading through a lot of entries and seen that people recommend eating the back calories, but I'm still a bit skeptical. Thanks for the support. =]
  • kittypudding
    Options
    I'm not sure if I'm quite ready to be that open about my diary card just yet. I'm a bit shy, but I'm sure once I keep get things moving and feel a little better about myself, it'll be a little easier to open up. Like a lot of girls in their mid 20's,. . .or anyone in general I guess, i'm a bit vain and self conscious at the same time.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat back calories for a 30 minute workout.
  • kittypudding
    Options
    Both are possible. I have been doing a lot of strength training to gain some muscle and get rid of the fat. Cardio has been a big help as well. I've cut my sodium intake by a lot, but I'm sure there is more I can do. =]
  • kittypudding
    Options
    30 minute workouts are the least that I do. I've recently gotten back into working out, but I don't want to push myself too hard yet because I've been having some issues with my lower back that started about when I started using MFP. I usually try to get up to about an hour, hour and a half at most for a full day of exercise.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I lose my weight in "chunks". I weigh every day and will sometimes record my lowest weight so far, then for the next two weeks, never see that number again as the number bounces between 2 pounds and 0.2 pounds above it. Then suddenly one morning I'll be down another 3 lbs from that previous low. Or (like this weekend), I "lost" a pound every night for 3 consecutive nights after 2 weeks of no change. So if you're doing it all right, don't stress! It seems like it has to catch up to you sometimes.
  • RabecaR
    RabecaR Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Fat weighs less than muscle! So you probably gained muscle mass...don't freak. If you're seeing results you're on the right track.
  • felcandy
    felcandy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    no need to be rude about it.

I understand it can be frustrating, my body does the same thing... thats why i started over and changed my weight loss ticker and made things a little more strict. Just stick to it, it can't hurt you. Weigh in once a week because as a woman your weight will fluctuate more than a man's. Give it another two months at least!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Fat weighs less than muscle! So you probably gained muscle mass...

in two weeks?

no.

it's water and normal fluctuations

you can't expect your body to just flip a switch because you decide to start treating it right after years of neglect and abuse
  • jodfie
    jodfie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    two WHOLE weeks?

yes! give up now!

it clearly is not working
    that was unneeded "if you have nothing good to say dont say anything at all"
    in reference to the OP i think youve gained muscle...im down 6 lbs in a month....but ive lost 6.5 inches all together so far....ive also been told generally if your losing inches you arent as much weight and vice versa
  • kittypudding
    Options
    Well I'd have to say, for the majority of my life I've been a healthy weight. Recently due to different reasons, I've put on weight, so abuse is hardly a word I'd use for how I treat my body. I'm not expecting super fast results, I'm just a little stressed that more weight was put on. As I said, I'm not looking for a quick solution, so if this is going to take a bit of time, I'm willing to do it.
  • mominwi419
    Options
    If you're eating at a deficit, it's not muscle mass.

You cannot create something out of nothing. You have to be eating more to create muscle.

It takes time, don't get discouraged.