FAt 2 fit ratio

Options
How accurate do you think this really is? I went and put in my info and it says my body fat % is only 28.2. I was expecting my number to be much higher. I am 5' 4.5" and currently weigh 252.5 lbs . I then used this info to find out what my goal weight would be to get to 15%, 12%, and 8%. It gave me respectively 213 lbs, 206 lbs, and 197 lbs, that can't be right can it? It seems very off to me.

What do you all think?

Replies

• Scandinavia
    Scandinavia Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you did it correctly? I am 5'8, 155lbs, and it gave me 26.5% BF, or 41lbs of fat.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I would recheck to make sure you did it correctly...its seemed to the most accurate out of everything I've used so far. I'm 5'3, 130lbs and 23% body fat.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Did you make sure to change it to female? I'm 5'1" and it gave me a goal weight of anywhere between 105-135 at various BF%
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Unless u got a lot of muscle, idk how correct that is.
    I'm 5'5 121lbs mid 20s BF%
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I did my measurements twice and yes I put in female, I measured both wrists and forearms and used the bigger measurements of the two.

My waist at the naval is 54in, my wrists at their widest point are 6.5 in, my forearm at their widest spots are 12 in., and my hips at their widest are 51 in. Just checked them for a third time.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Which calculator did you use? I think the military calculator is the best one. The others estimate way too low.

You can also try all of them and then compare the numbers to the pictures here:

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

The number the fat2fit military calculator gives me matches the picture that most resembles me. The others on fat2fit are way off.

Make sure you're taking the waist measurement in the right spot. For the military one it's at the narrowest part of your waist (not the naval).

If you are looking to see changes in body fat over time, then just keep using the same calculator each time. You should see a change as your body changes even if the absolute number you get isn't correct. If you really want to know your exact bf% you'll need to use a more sophisticated method in order to get it.
  • edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I just did it again to double check and at 5' 1.5" and 236 pounds, I have a body fat % of 28.5! My BMR is 1769. My wrists are 7 inches and my hips are 51 also. My waist at navel is 48.5. So, we are pretty similar. It's confusing! If i eat what they recommend, I will be 600 calories higher than i have been...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How accurate do you think this really is? I went and put in my info and it says my body fat % is only 28.2. I was expecting my number to be much higher. I am 5' 4.5" and currently weigh 252.5 lbs . I then used this info to find out what my goal weight would be to get to 15%, 12%, and 8%. It gave me respectively 213 lbs, 206 lbs, and 197 lbs, that can't be right can it? It seems very off to me.

What do you all think?

The 15%, 12% and 8% are appropriate for men, not women.

No offense, but that is off. You should be taking your waist measurement at your natural waist not the navel. The fat2fit one usually asks for neck as well I thought

Can you provide a link to the one you are using?
  • edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I just did it again to double check and at 5' 1.5" and 236 pounds, I have a body fat % of 28.5! My BMR is 1769. My wrists are 7 inches and my hips are 51 also. My waist at navel is 48.5. So, we are pretty similar. It's confusing! If i eat what they recommend, I will be 600 calories higher than i have been...

The military one gave me 54%!! WTH?
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I used the military body fat calculator. I have a scale that tells me my BF% and the military calculator is almost the same as the scale BF%. The original one gave a very low BF% and I can look at myself and see I am made up of more fat that what it says.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options

The military one gave me 54%!! WTH?

Based on your height and weight, that's not an unreasonable estimate. I was in the high 40's when I started here (at 5'6'' and 230 pounds). I think it's best to do a few of the calculators and then compare the numbers with these pictures:

• CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Which calculator did you use? I think the military calculator is the best one. The others estimate way too low.

The number the fat2fit military calculator gives me matches the picture that most resembles me. The others on fat2fit are way off.

Make sure you're taking the waist measurement in the right spot. For the military one it's at the narrowest part of your waist (not the naval).

If you are looking to see changes in body fat over time, then just keep using the same calculator each time. You should see a change as your body changes even if the absolute number you get isn't correct. If you really want to know your exact bf% you'll need to use a more sophisticated method in order to get it.

Thank you I went back and used the military one and that seems much more accurate, for me my naval is actually the thinnest part of my waist so that measurement was the same. The military one asked for the neck which the other one did not.

The military one has me at 56.8% and for 15% bf my weight would need to be 128, 12% at 124, and 8 % at 118.

That seems much more accurate, I knew the other number was not right. Thanks everyone
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i think mine was bang on. 23 % when i compared it to the pics i think it's accurate...
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

^^ that Built Lean matches me. By suprailiac caliper method I'm around 20% and that matches me in the pics. I tried to get super tecchie about it but I just don't have the patience. I can say, based on what you gave us, it's doubtful your body fat fits into the "fit" category unless you have HUGE muscles.

I've found it best to use one method and stick to it. Maybe one day I will break down and try the measurement way again with my stats and just see how it compares with how I do it.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I bet that the women getting lower-than-expected body fat percentages forgot to change the gender to female. It defaults to male, and if you leave it there the results are very different.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    The other 2 gave me 27% and 27.5%, which seemed too low. The military one gave me 35% which seems a little too high. I think I'm more like 31%. Or maybe I'm just lying to myself and the 35% is just right. :laugh:
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    haha i put in my measurements and weight and got 24%... so just for fun i changed it to male and it said 0.9% body fat, 101 pounds of lean mass and 1 pound of fat LOL!!!

any reason it doesnt take into account your height?
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    haha i put in my measurements and weight and got 24%... so just for fun i changed it to male and it said 0.9% body fat, 101 pounds of lean mass and 1 pound of fat LOL!!!
    LOL a medical miracle
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options

any reason it doesnt take into account your height?/quote]

http://www.healthyforms.com/helpful-tools/body-fat-percentage.php ( this one does...)