Gym Everyday

Options
2»

Replies

• Jschrolms
    Jschrolms Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I train everyday. 5 days at the gym lifting weights between 90 and 120 minutes. 2 'rest' days from weights split in the week; bike ride outside between 90 and 120 minutes.

As much as I don't like saying this, an off day does the body good. Muscles grow when you rest.

Hey Man,

Ok so Muscles grow when you rest, so i am resting them, a muscle group one day, anotehr one the next etc. Why have a full day of nothing? Why not jsut start something that you havent done for 2 or 3 days? It should be rested enough yeah?
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day for way more than two hours. I don't keep track quite so staunchly... I teach yoga 4 hours a week, I do the elliptical maybe 2-3 days a week, I attend a karate dojo twice a week, I do some kind of strength training every day, I practice dance every chance I get, I do knuckle pushups and situps before work twice a week, and biking is my only mode of transportation. I bike for at least an hour a day just commuting to class/work/gym. Also, I work at a restaurant that keeps me walking for 7 hours straight. I probably average 3-4 hours of exercise every day.

Am I overdoing it? No. I'm energetic and relaxed about my lifestyle. Mentally and physically, I'm healthy all-around. So the question is the same for you: do you feel good? Are you energetic? Has your mental stamina decreased at all? Pay attention to these things, drink lots of water, change up your workout every so-often, and continue rocking your body.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I go for 3 hrs 6 days a week. But on my 1 free day (saturdays) I get lots of active stuff done I just don't go to the Y that day usually.
  • Jschrolms
    Options
    Yeah sweet, I think you are spot on, if you feel good and full of energy use it. Since doing this i havent been rundown or sick anything like i used to.
  • Jschrolms
    Options
    Somebody is fishing for compliments. CONGRATS ON WORKING SOOOO HARD! Psh.

Haters gon hate, won't get you anywhere
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I think you'll know if you are overdoing it. For what it's worth I did overdo it in the beginning when I first started working out, but that was only working out for an hour when I should have started with 30 mins because I was so out of shape and around 320 lbs. Now I've lost some weight and I vary my workouts (water aerobics, yoga, spinning, strength training, zumba, elliptical, treadmill, c25k, cross trainer machine, rowing, etc) I have built up my stamina to 3+ hrs 6 days a week but I'm not overdoing it now. It isn't the time or frequency that matters, it matters what your fitness level is. when I was first starting an hour killed me. Now I'd have to work out for 6 hrs straight to feel that awful, lol. We all improve with dedication and persistence. keep it up and take care of yourself.
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I train everyday. 5 days at the gym lifting weights between 90 and 120 minutes. 2 'rest' days from weights split in the week; bike ride outside between 90 and 120 minutes.

As much as I don't like saying this, an off day does the body good. Muscles grow when you rest.

Hey Man,

Ok so Muscles grow when you rest, so i am resting them, a muscle group one day, anotehr one the next etc. Why have a full day of nothing? Why not jsut start something that you havent done for 2 or 3 days? It should be rested enough yeah?

True. That's what I do too. They say after you work a muscle, wait at least 48 hours before working that muscle again.

With that advice in mind, it seems logical. However, you have to take in account the exercises you are working. It's difficult to train only one specific muscle group at a time. For example, when you do back, your bi's are getting touched too. When you do chest, your tri's are getting hit. I suppose if you have a smart split set up, it's possible to have a schedule that allows you to go 6-7 days.

The intensity you bring at the gym also plays a major factor IMO. I try to kill the muscle during my work out. Guys would tell me you can end up selling your self short with potential gains by going hardcore 7 days in a row and that's if your body can even handle the load. Bro science at it's finest. :wink:

Personally, with my bike ride instead on Wednesday and Sunday as a weight rest day, I can go even harder at the gym on my 5 days there.

At the end of the day, listen to your body. If you feel good, hit it. YEAH BUDDY. LIGHT WEIGHT.
  • Yeaboiii
    Options
    If you wanna roll with the big dogs you gotta gym it up every day, stick to different body parts and give each part of your body good rest. So long as you're eating right and getting sleep, you shouldn't have any problems.
  • Jschrolms
    Options

Hey Man,

True. That's what I do too. They say after you work a muscle, wait at least 48 hours before working that muscle again.

With that advice in mind, it seems logical. However, you have to take in account the exercises you are working. It's difficult to train only one specific muscle group at a time. For example, when you do back, your bi's are getting touched too. When you do chest, your tri's are getting hit. I suppose if you have a smart split set up, it's possible to have a schedule that allows you to go 6-7 days.

The intensity you bring at the gym also plays a major factor IMO. I try to kill the muscle during my work out. Guys would tell me you can end up selling your self short with potential gains by going hardcore 7 days in a row and that's if your body can even handle the load. Bro science at it's finest. :wink:

Personally, with my bike ride instead on Wednesday and Sunday as a weight rest day, I can go even harder at the gym on my 5 days there.

At the end of the day, listen to your body. If you feel good, hit it. YEAH BUDDY. LIGHT WEIGHT.

Hey Mad Dog,

Yeah so how about this, this is what i do. Back and Bi's on a day, chest Tri's and Ab's the next day, Legs and shoulders then enxt day, then back to back and bi's again. Also run/Ride/Boxing pretty much everyday.
    How intense are you talking Bro? how many exercises/sets/reps are you doin per muscle group?

LIKE A PEANUT!
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hey Mad Dog,

Yeah so how about this, this is what i do. Back and Bi's on a day, chest Tri's and Ab's the next day, Legs and shoulders then enxt day, then back to back and bi's again. Also run/Ride/Boxing pretty much everyday.
    How intense are you talking Bro? how many exercises/sets/reps are you doin per muscle group?

LIKE A PEANUT!
    I switch my split up every few months depending on what I'm trying to focus on or bring up. Since it was summer time, I was recently on a cut and was trying to keep my arms as jacked as possible. Before this split I was doing back and chest twice a week. Everyone's split will be different depending on where they are at now or what they want to specifically bring up. ie. a body part that might be lagging.

I don't really count exercises per say. After about 90-120 minutes, I feel I must gtfo of the gym.

With that said, here's what I been doing now:

Monday - bi's, tri's, forearms. calves and abs.*
    Tuesday - shoulders. calves and abs.
    Wednesday - bike outside.
    Thursday - chest. burn out tri's. calves and abs.
    Friday - legs only and bike outside.
    Saturday - back. burn out bi's. calves and abs.
    Sunday - rest or bike outside.

* all those calves are just 1 exercise. abs is probably 4-5 different things.

When I start a new split, my sets and reps change. On average I do 4 sets per exercise. Maybe 5 for compound movements and 3 for isolation. First month, high reps - I aim for 15 on the first set. 12 on the second. 10 on the third. 8 on the final. I do a lof of pyramid training so each set I increase the weight. Second month - 12, 10, 8, 6. Final month - 10, 8, 6, 4-1. Then I start a new split. I don't like to rest very long between sets either. I try to stay moving.
  • Jschrolms
    Options
    Still Training everyday! who gon stop me! huh?
  • cayadear
    cayadear Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I go six days a week for at least an hour a day and try to have a rest day once a week.

I also do kickboxing for an hour twice a week, Tae Kwon Do for an hour two to three times a week, and yoga for an hour twice a week.
  • Jschrolms
    Options
    Anyone still mad training everyday?