heavy lifting......

Options
So, I am constantly seeing posts and success stories from lifting heavy. I would like to try, although I have no idea where to begin. This might sound stupid, but I don't even know how to. Help?

Replies

• Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I learned everything I know with the book the new rules of lifting for women. Also the book starting strength. Even if you do another workout, those book explain every thing you need to know about strength training.

Good luck
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I like StrongLifts 5x5

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

The term heavy, doesn't mean that you are going to go into a program and lift massive amounts of weight, obviously. Heavy, simply means heavy for you.

Starting Strength: Mark Rippetoe is also excellent.

Also, form is extremely important!!!

Hope this helps some!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I didn't know how to lift either until I hired a personal trainer.... but that is expensive. Here are other options:

If you are already a member at a gym, start out by using the machines. As you gain strength, get some people to show you a few easy things with the free weights.... then work your way up. The staff can help you.

Find a workout buddy that has a little knowledge.

Do your research. A quick web search should provide the basics. Then get the book that the person above mentioned. I've heard a lot of people talking about that book. YouTube has a bazillion videos on lifting that can show you proper form and different things.

Good Luck!!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I like StrongLifts 5x5

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

The term heavy, doesn't mean that you are going to go into a program and lift massive amounts of weight, obviously. Heavy, simply means heavy for you.

Starting Strength: Mark Rippetoe is also excellent.

Also, form is extremely important!!!

Hope this helps some!
    Stronglifts 5x5 is an excellent beginner program. It's simple, easy to follow, and provides results.

NROWLFW (New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women) is great as well, though it's a bit more complex. If you're looking for something that's super easy to follow for a complete beginner, I'd recommend Stronglifts.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    new rules for lifting for women

5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System to Increase Raw Strength by Jim Wendler

starting strength by mark rippetoe
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation for Strong Lifts. Start very light. Concentrate on form.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!! You will not be sorry!

And here is the Starting Strength site.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I also agree with both NROL and StrongLifts; however, I would actually recommend NROL first. It allows for the use of a bit lower weight with some higher reps which could be easier when starting out. Stonglifts is based on strength training with the expectation of a higher weight to rep ratio. NROL is a bit more complex but is quite intense and you will get results.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Options
    I do stronglifts 5x5. Check out the website. It is aimed at men but women can do it too, it's no different. I read a lot about lifting on the internet and in the book "starting stregnth" before going over there (to the weight side, that is.)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation for Strong Lifts. Start very light. Concentrate on form.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Join this very kind group here on MFP and ask as many questions as you need to.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    You can also try the JE LIVE FIT program. You can get it for free from Bodybuilding.com
    It gives you a plan for 12 weeks and tells you what to do each day. It even has videos to show you how to do them right. I highly recommend it.
  • drcollins80
    drcollins80 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend the Chalean Extreme DVD set from Beachbody. (And no, I'm not a Beachbody salesperson.) I was a cardio junkie, but really didn't have a clue how to start lifting properly. It's a fantastic series, and it works for all skill/experience levels. I've done it twice now - did not bulk up, have great muscles, and I just love how strong I got. Now I'm doing it for a third time as a hybrid with Turbofire.
  • HealthierHappierBrenda
    Options
    i've been checking out success stories on bodybuilding.com lately and there are detailed weight lifting routines displayed. It's really inspirational too!!
  • GetDemGainz
    Options
    Try picking up "New Rules of Lifting for Women".
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you for all the replies!!! I will take into account everyone's suggestions. :)
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I read Starting Strength for form and read New Rules for the science and nutrition - its a very good read. I decided to follow New Rules first, but got bogged down by all the different types of lifts in later stages. Now I am doing Strong lifts and love it.

Everything I have learned about lifting has come from the above books and websites, this forums, and youtube.

I am pretty much just copying everything the others have said, but it works.
  • lift247
    lift247 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Starting strength is definitely the place to start. As many have said already, form is critical as the lifts in this program are definitely the most dangerous if done incorrectly, but extremely beneficial if done right. As well as watching videos online, you should have someone guide you in the gym at least in the beginning. Also after about 8-12 months of this, you could switch to another reputable program that can easily be found online, or you could create your own routine/split prioritizing weak points, adding isolation work, and so on. It's awesome to see girls lifting heavy and good luck!
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'll check out Starting Strength. Working with a personal trainer tomorrow at the gym, so i will see what she recommends I do. :)