Why did I GAIN weight?

Options
Here's my story. I went from about 146 pounds to 139.8 pounds in about 5 weeks. I ate about 1600 calories every day (my TDEE is about 2100 - I'm using Scooby's Workshop to figure out how many calories to eat), and I lifted weights 2 - 3x a week and I'd walk for about 30 minutes 1 - 2x a week, only sometimes, but if I wasn't walking I would do other things like cleaning or something to keep myself active for at least 30 minutes.

Last week I only exercised 1 day because I ended up getting sick and not feeling up to it. nor was I allowed to since my parents didn't think I should be. I surely didn't exceed 1600 calories at all last week, except for one day. In fact, I may not have really gotten past 1200 calories on most days because I either ate light, or I didn't eat much at all because my stomach felt very sick.

Today when I weighed myself I was up 1.5 pounds. I'm usually not one to stress this sort of things, but I was just a bit surprised to find out I was up. I wasn't expecting to be down, either, just so you know. I didn't really eat a whole lot yesterday, but I DID eat a sandwich with some lunch meat on it....lots of sodium. Could that have caused it? I weighed myself after going to the bathroom, wearing the same clothes as last weekend and in the same spot. Any ideas?

Replies

• mariku_king
    Options
    Bump, please?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You could be miscalculating your intake. It is very easy to do.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Here's my story. I went from about 146 pounds to 139.8 pounds in about 5 weeks. I ate about 1600 calories every day (my TDEE is about 2100 - I'm using Scooby's Workshop to figure out how many calories to eat), and I lifted weights 2 - 3x a week and I'd walk for about 30 minutes 1 - 2x a week, only sometimes, but if I wasn't walking I would do other things like cleaning or something to keep myself active for at least 30 minutes.

Last week I only exercised 1 day because I ended up getting sick and not feeling up to it. nor was I allowed to since my parents didn't think I should be. I surely didn't exceed 1600 calories at all last week, except for one day. In fact, I may not have really gotten past 1200 calories on most days because I either ate light, or I didn't eat much at all because my stomach felt very sick.

Today when I weighed myself I was up 1.5 pounds. I'm usually not one to stress this sort of things, but I was just a bit surprised to find out I was up. I wasn't expecting to be down, either, just so you know. I didn't really eat a whole lot yesterday, but I DID eat a sandwich with some lunch meat on it....lots of sodium. Could that have caused it? I weighed myself after going to the bathroom, wearing the same clothes as last weekend and in the same spot. Any ideas?

Might be close to your menstrual cycle since your a girl and all you put on weight when TOM comes to visit.

That's my only guess since I can't see your diary so can't really see what 1600 calories you are consuming... assuming your sick and maybe it's a throat infection would result in having Popsicle .. Popsicle are sugar ... sugar triggers insulin ... insulin triggers your body to store fat ...
  • cyberiarob
    cyberiarob Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've heard that people retain extra water as a defense mechanism when they're sick.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Sodium would do it. Have you been having any soup? That's usually pretty high in sodium too.
  • mariku_king
    Options

Might be close to your menstrual cycle since your a girl and all you put on weight when TOM comes to visit.

That's my only guess since I can't see your diary so can't really see what 1600 calories you are consuming... assuming your sick and maybe it's a throat infection would result in having Popsicle .. Popsicle are sugar ... sugar triggers insulin ... insulin triggers your body to store fat ...

Ah no, I didn't have anything like popsicles for my sore throat. I couldn't eat anything, not even cold things. I eat lots of chicken, salads, fruits, eggs, nuts, things like that. And yeah, I think it may be close to that TOM but I'm not too sure.
  • mariku_king
    Options
    Sodium would do it. Have you been having any soup? That's usually pretty high in sodium too.

I have not. I really don't like soup. I'm going to say the serving of lunch meat I ate yesterday was probably about 1,000 mg of sodium.
  • mariku_king
    Options
    I've heard that people retain extra water as a defense mechanism when they're sick.

I've never heard that before. That's quite interesting and it may be the answer! Thanks~
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    Lots of reasons for ups and downs - female hormones will make us retain fluid - especially premenstrually.
    This is just a small speedbump, (like getting sick).
    Make sure you are doing the right thing and you'll see the results - maybe sooner, maybe later - but definitely.
  • mariku_king
    Options
    Lots of reasons for ups and downs - female hormones will make us retain fluid - especially premenstrually.
    This is just a small speedbump, (like getting sick).
    Make sure you are doing the right thing and you'll see the results - maybe sooner, maybe later - but definitely.

I guess I am worrying about over nothing. I'll just stick with it. Thank you, everyone!
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    Go girl! :)
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When we are sick our body is working to fight off the infection not on weight loss.Your body will hold on to Fluids in case you need them.Your body was in fighting mode.
  • chrtyA
    chrtyA Posts: 39
    Options
    Water weight? and yes female hormones can cause you to retain water. I know I gain up to 5 pounds of water around my period. After a few days it's gone. It took a while for me to realize this I stay away from the scale around that time for sure. My philosophy with weight loss/gain it if the scale is up or down a few pounds one day it doesn't count if it stays that way for a week or more then I count it as a loss or gain.