Replies

• Ampierce
    Ampierce Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have cut all refined carbs and sugar for the most part, although I still have a weekend here and there where I carb due to parties or holidays, etc. But I have not cut veggies at all. I just try to stay away from starchy stuff like peas and corn and focus my veggie eating on stuff like spinach, beets, okra, tomatoes, broccoli, etc.

You can cut carbs for sure (I have done it because I am diabetic and it allows me to control my blood sugar), but DON'T cut fruits and veggies!! :) They are good for you.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    You might not be able to poop. Like, at all. That would be enough deterrent for me.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Yes they work. Well, low carb diets do. I personally, don't believe you need 300+g of carbs in a day..... (At least not the average person anyway) That is insane to me.

I've never heard of a NO carb diet.... also sounds equally insane to me. lol .... You need some carbs.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    Of course they work... at least i'm getting result. Feel free to check my body comp markers, photos, etc.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    NO diets work, period.
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    there isn't really such a thing as a no carb healthy diet. Even fruits and vegetables) which you need) have a small amount of carbs. Like others have said, cutting out refined carbs is a good idea( white bread, etc). but cutting out an entire food group is neither balanced nor sustainable
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    low carb is great to lose fat/weight, zero carbs is ridiculous...you need some, I am on paleo, which is pretty low carb/sugar diet, but even on that diet , you need carbs.. I just get carbs from veggies and some fruits.....but keep my carb intake low and eat more protein and good fats to balance it out.
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    low carb is great to lose fat/weight, zero carbs is ridiculous...you need some, I am on paleo, which is pretty low carb/sugar diet, but even on that diet , you need carbs.. I just get carbs from veggies and some fruits.....but keep my carb intake low and eat more protein and good fats to balance it out.

mine is same as above except no fruits and no starchy vegetables like potatoes (I dislike potatoes anyways :wink: ). My carb sources are vegetables and those in low-fat diary :drinker: feel free to add.
    Cheers!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Here's what WebMD has to say about low-carb diets and ketosis:
    http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/high-protein-low-carbohydrate-diets

I was on the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet in 2001-2002. I lost 60 pounds in 10 months. No cravings. It felt effortless. I felt sure it was a sustainable diet, especially since it was a "modified" low-carb diet, meaning that I included carbs in one meal out of the day.

It wasn't sustainable. I gained everything back.

Your mileage may differ, though there is a significant difference between LOW-carb and NO-carb. See the link above.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    yes.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    cutting out carbs like white bread and things like that are ok, but you don't need to cut ALL carbs out completely. Many breaded things (white bread, white potatos) turn to sugar in your body, so you should do some research first before you cut everything out. Wheat bread and things like that are ok to eat.

-_______- ALL types of carbs turn to sugar.
  • ashleydmassey
    ashleydmassey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I would be very careful. A low-carb diet is hard on your kidneys, a no-carb diet must be worse. I followed Atkins a few years ago, at the encouragement of a doctor, and wound up with a pretty severe kidney infection and in the ER. The ER doctor told me to stay away from the low-carb diets. I only have one kidney, though. I would discuss this with a doctor, and be careful.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut carbs, just do a pretty strict paleo type diet. Leafy green, non starchy vegetables, and berries wont cause you any weight gain. Having zero carbs is bad for your brain as it primarily runs on glucose so you need SOME carbohydrates you just dont have to eat grains if you don't want to. Bodybuilders go on strict broccoli and chicken type diets before a photo shoot but they don't maintain it because it sucks.....
  • All_Out_Attack
    Options
    One of the main benefits of low-carb is that you feel full and can eliminate most or all cravings. You can still eat plenty of veggies, but just the ones with low card content, so you can still get the fiber if you need it. One of the things I've noticed with people I know who have gone on Atkins in particular is that they never really follow the program. What I mean by this is that after the 2 week induction, they are over-encouraged and instead of slowing adding the right carbs back in until they achieve maintenance, they try to stay at near zero-carb forever. Also many people still try to avoid fats while on a low-carb, and they end up eating way too much lean protein. If you are going to do low-carb, don't be afraid of the fat, you will need it to be successful!

And what do you consider "way too much lean protein?"
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    Idk, i had a gf whos father lost like 30 lbs in a few months on Atkins.

I would say it definetly works, but the problem is its really not sustainable for most people. Might also not be very healthy if you did adopt it as your permenant diet.
  • ncs7766
    ncs7766 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No carb diets can work but are hard to follow long term. Might lack some vitamins and fiber as well. is definietly not recommended for those with/or at high risk of kidney disease.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No carbs means you will be eating pretty much just meat and eggs. Even dairy has carbs. I wouldn't recommend that. However, a LOW carb diet would let you include veggies and dairy into your diet, which would be much healthier in terms of nutrition.

When I maintain a low carb diet, the fat just melts off me and I find it hard to put weight on. As soon as I get over 110 gms/carbs/day (which will be different for everyone, of course), I get puffy and bloated, no matter how many (or few) calories I'm eating.

There's a reason that body builders go to a low carb diet before competitions. It really melts the fat off and shows your muscle tone. Of course, you have to EAT and EXERCISE to have muscles. It's a bit of trial and error till you figure out the magic formula for yourself.
    No. It does NOT "melt the fat off." Bodybuilders switch to a low carb diet before a competition to eliminate water weight, which makes their muscles look bigger. Has nothing to do with fat.

24332340.jpg
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    24332340.jpg

LOL
  • myOWNinspiration
    Options
    Deprivation never works