Morning Workout: Eat before or after

Options
2»

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to have something different that works for them.
    For me, it's coffee (for the boost) before a morning workout, and then breakfast afterwards.
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I personally get sick to my stomach if I do not have a little something before working out because of all of the water I drink during my workout. I usually have half of a breakfast bar before my workout and eat the rest when I get hungry later.
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I prefer to have my coffee with stevia and half & half, workout, then eat.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    both! :)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    A workout is supposed to challenge your body, and that depends on each person. For some people a workout is a 30-minute stroll around the neighbourhood. If that's the kind of workout we're talking about, then you might not need to eat before doing it.

For me(according to my abilities and my current fitness goals), a workout is a high-impact aerobic routine, or a good strength training session. So I do need to fuel my body if i don't want to feel drained after burning between 500-900 kcals

But when i go for a stroll or for groceries,sometimes i do wait until i come back home to. have breakfast. Depends on you and how hard you exercise.

You can still have a challenging workout without eating right before. I've gone for an hour and a half run on an empty stomach and PRed on lifts on an empty stomach. Different people have different preferences for this kind of thing and just because you can do it without eating first doesn't mean you're slacking.
  • faupster
    faupster Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I personally eat after, but you may find that you don't have enough energy if you don't eat before.

Truth
  • SelenaRios12
    SelenaRios12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually do before and afterwards i have snack like an orange. Also I drink a lot of water during my workout, so I feel full once I'm done.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me to eat a high protein breakfast before working out.
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i tend to work out fasted, i find i perform before. Even if i've eaten two hours prior i still get a sickening feeling whilst doing exercise if i have eaten something. But then again i'm a subscriber of intermittent fasting and don't eat til around 2 or so.
  • shrinkingislander
    shrinkingislander Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    It depends on the workout, any run under 8km and before 9am I prefer not to eat and will have oatmeal afterwards. A longer run and after 9am I'll have a small breakfast toast, peanut butter, and a banana.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I workout 6am and don't eat until 6pm! ;) sooo do whatever is easier :flowerforyou:
  • MrNoisy
    MrNoisy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted every morning around 6:30am, then I still don't eat for several hours afterward. I eat from 1pm - 8pm (roughly following the I.F. Lean Gains program). It works for me, but everybody is different. I figure (in my own unproven logic! :P), if I'm working out on an empty stomach, my body has no other option but to burn what's available for energy, fat and any leftover juice I had from the night before. If I eat first, then my body has readily available energy to utilize from what I just ate.

When I first started I was a zombie barely conscious when working out. Now I have no problems and I'm full of energy as soon as I wake up. In fact, on the very rare occasion I do eat beforehand I feel weighed down and tired during exercise.

But you know, whatever works best for you is the way to go. There's no concrete approach to any of this stuff.