Family & Weight Loss

Options
My family has been very supportive about my weight loss, not insisting "Oh, it's just one cookie, it won't hurt you." But I find that friends/my boyfriend's family looks at me as anorexic when I politely turn down food. It's not that I won't eat, it is just that the food you are offering for me isn't going to fuel my body the way that I want it to. Is there a nice way to tell them I appreciate the gesture of offering me food, but wish they wouldn't make me feel guilty or weird for doing so?

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Just say "no, thank you." What other people choose to do with that information is not your problem.
  • sarahxx68
    Options
    His mom seems to take it as a personal attack. Which I find weird, since she just lost 20 lbs on her diet! I mean, I'm a lot smaller than anyone in their immediate family, so I wonder if it has something to do with that. But you are right, I really shouldn't worry about her opinion as long as I know I'm being healthy.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time and something I've struggled with a lot and honestly there is nothing you can do about it. If they are someone you are close to just explain to them what you said to us and hopefully they will understand. You just have to try to not let it get to you.
  • sarahxx68
    Options
    This happens to me all the time and something I've struggled with a lot and honestly there is nothing you can do about it. If they are someone you are close to just explain to them what you said to us and hopefully they will understand. You just have to try to not let it get to you.

Thanks, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who had dealt with this. I just hate when they say "you don't need to lose weight" when I have an "estimated BMI of 24.9 and do need to lose some weight. I feel rude saying something like that tho when they are all significantly bigger than I am, so I always just say I'm trying to be healthy.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    You're not the only one who deals with this. It's seriously annoying. Let me know what you come up with to deal with it. I'm all ears.
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If I offer someone food and they say "I'm trying to be healthy." I would feel offended,like they are saying my food was not healthy.Their food may or not be healthy but I can still see how that can be taken the wrong way.I just say "no thank you." Or I make sure to visit the in laws after I already ate.When there is a dinner or something planned I just plan for it and take a small amount...I also bring a side dish and load up on that W small portions of whatever she is serving.
  • toxis
    toxis Posts: 2
    Options
    A lot of my friends make comments about me being picky when it comes to what I'll eat and I just say "I'm sorry that I'm changing to a healthy lifestyle." If a family member says something or gives me a weird look, I just tell them "that isn't good for my eating plan." If they can't understand that and support me, that's their issue they need to deal with. I have to take care of myself and I can get a little lenient after I've lost what I want to.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Did you try "I'm not hungry" ?
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Oh I know how you feel!!!

My now MIL tells me all the time that when I turn down her food I'm basically telling her that I don't like her cooking and I think she's a horrible person....... I didn't know that turning down a lb of fudge was code for I hate your guts but there is no arguing with her!!

Now I've just learned to say I'm not hungry right now but save me some! ;) Then my husband ends up eating it for me. It's a win win, you have a happy MIL and a happy husband and you don't have to undo your pants!! EVERYONE wins!
  • lrobi400
    Options
    Most people won't understand. I've stopped explaining. My family usually wants to get into a big discussion about it. I use to take it personal because some of them were jokes like "I know you're still hungry" I just say no thanks and ignore the rest. They'll get use to it after a while
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I usually go with. "I'm sorry I'm training (for a race) I can't eat that."

Now if its homemade cookies or something, you have to balance the one cookie against your diet plan. So put it in your mouth and smile. Sometimes you have to for family.
  • sarahxx68
    Options
    I guess the only way to deal with it is to grin and bear it. I would just take the "one" cookie but I know sweets are a trigger for me. One turns into 2...then 3...and a total downward spiral. I like the idea of saying not right now but I will later. I could always just take one "for the road" type of thing, but not actually eat it. A win-win for everybody.