Rest days.

Options
How many days a week do you give yourself a rest from exercise, and why? Right now I'm working out 5 days a week for an hour, with two days of rest. The days always vary, depending on my schedule.

Replies

• tetecia
    tetecia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I try to shoot for at least 1 day a week. But, sometimes i'm so exhausted that i only workout maybe 4-5 days a week. My workouts aren't very long usually 30-60 minutes/day. If i'm feeling really good and full of energy i'll do 90 minutes/day/
  • FloyMcCaudie
    Options
    How many days a week do you give yourself a rest from exercise, and why? Right now I'm working out 5 days a week for an hour, with two days of rest. The days always vary, depending on my schedule.

same..i dont count hours thp:D
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I usually have at least one, sometimes two depending on schedules and how hard my workouts have been that week. I typically weight train 3 days a week and try to run 2-3 days a week (short runs, 3 miles or so). The body needs rest. Every 4-6 weeks, I will take an 3-5 days off weight training and it usually works out really well, feel much more pumped and energetic when I start back up.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in scheduling rest days as due to life balance commitments I would never manage to train every day. I try to work out every day but don't beat myself up if I've worked out 3-4 times in a week and then decide to take a day off. For instance I would normally train today but i have a flu and temperature so am hanging out online instead!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    0-1. I only take a day off if I'm really sick. Even then, I try to at least run or bike.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I usually try to take one day of rest. I try to work out 6 days a week. I don't schedule the day ahead of time, I just listen to my body.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    One rest day since I started 4 months ago, up until last week, then I changed to 2, which cuts some cardio out of my routine.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Lately I have only been taking rest days on days when I'm working as a caterer and running around for 6 hours (though sometimes I'll do cardio on work days), which can be anywhere from 2-4 days a week. Or I rest on days where I have really bad DOMS or I strained something or I'm sleep-deprived. I'm clearly not very good at "listening to my body" and it's something I need to work on.
  • oakfruit
    oakfruit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't really take rest days. I really enjoy all my various physical activities and get rather bored/restless if I don't at least do a bit of yoga and go for a long walk. However, I'm not like most people on here - my workouts aren't too intense - and I think if I worked out harder, I'd start wanting longer recovery periods. When I used to strength train, I'd only go to the gym every other day; seemed to work for me.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Resting 2-3 days a week, with my current routine I'm resting 3 days a week
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the responses. I was thinking about bumping my workouts up to 6 days a week rather than five. However, I do workout at a very high intensity for that one hour, so I think it's best to stick with what I'm doing. I'm happy with the results so far - the exercise just feels good that's why I was wondering.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Usually just 1 day/week
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Saturdays are my one rest day per week and even then I still try to go out for a leisurly walk to stretch and warm up my muscles. I go to boot camp three days a week, and run about 20-25 miles during the work week. I then give my body a rest day before my long run on Sunday (7-13 miles). I also recently added some light body weight lifting in the evenings.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    MWF i workout, TTH i do pilates (so sort of rest?) weekends are free.
  • ferniejoy
    ferniejoy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    One to two days. I rested yesterday, and my workout was better today.
  • Aleciajones
    Options
    When I'm on a routine (getting back to it) my rest days are days I just walk and do yoga and I never plan them, just when I feel I need it.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I take 2 rest days.
  • SMN1392
    SMN1392 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My rest day is my weekly weigh in day. A little reward :smile:
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    3-4 rest days

do i like this? no. but i do crossfit and work retail so my job doesnt always match up with the classes.

2 would be ideal. :)
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I usually take 3-4 rest days. On the days I do workout, I do a lot. My "rest days" are usually days that I work so I'm still on my feet all day walking around (I work retail).